IGNORED

My Swing (GolfLug)

GolfLug

(edited)

Spent some more times on matching hip  feels with camera. Will continue working on this including right arm elbow mapping. It def is harder than I was willing to admit.

I can tell you, going against very comfortable feels for something better ain't for the faint of heart.

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thumbs Up 2

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Erik's gonna say you have too much weight in your heels again. IIRC, this is part of why people move the pelvis towards the ball in the backswing, as part of a rebalancing move. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Constantine

2 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

I think Erik's gonna say you have too much weight in your heels again. IIRC, this is part of why people move the pelvis towards the ball in the backswing, as part of a rebalancing move. 

Yea, I wasn't going to mention it first, but it looks like that. It can get tricky because, you could set up correct, but then settle back just before swinging the club. 

I think what Erik had me do once was. 

1. Keep the legs straighter, and bend over at the waist. So it feels more over the toes. 
2. Then add a bit of knee bend, but not a ton to settle more in the middle of the feet. 

It felt like I was going to fall over forward, but it is just something you need to get use to. 

This might help out as a drill. It will probably help as a fitness training for balance to. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...

Better at setup yea. Keep pushing that right glute back into the glass on the backswing. You know you need a 2-3 inch lateral hip slide in the transition/re-centering phase, then finally, the part you're clearly struggling with the most, you need to fire the left glute up and back thru the glass again. It's called "finger printing the glass" I think? You completely lose connection to it. The amount you have to do this, feel wise, is gonna be like at least an 8 out of 10, maybe more. Because you're not doing it at all.

The pelvis tracking towards the ball removes space for the arms and hands. Think of how much a tour level player uses his glutes. Athletic Motion Golf has a lot of videos on this topic. 

It's really common to quad load. You want to use your posterior chain tho, NOT the quads. Try to think of this in 3D in order to properly visualize this, but you need to use your glutes and hamstrings way more. This isn't gonna be about necessarily placing yourself in positions, but understanding which muscles are used in order to get there. Does this make sense? If you have a swing speed monitor, you should see a pretty good spike in speed if you do this right. In order to get your left glute to push back against the wall on the downswing, you will need to apply a lot of force into the ground with the lead foot, in addition to firing the glute. 

It could be really helpful to take your setup 1 inch from a wall in your living room, feeling the right glute push into it on the backswing, feeling the right glute slide against the wall in the transition 2-3 inches, then feeling the left glute push into the wall on the downswing, with mostly hip rotation at this point. Reference the above AMG video to see the pro pattern if you feel confused or lost. It's fairly dramatic how much you have to do this relative to where you are now, downswing wise.

Edited by JetFan1983
  • Thumbs Up 2

Constantine

The only thing I would add is to watch your right elbow. It bends a little more than you want at the top.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Any better?

Yes. Plus what Constantine said. Keep pushing more pressure into your right heel.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The only thing I would add is to watch your right elbow. It bends a little more than you want at the top.

FWIW, I believe this and what @JetFan1983 pointed out are fundamentally connected. The whole thing is counterintuitive at a very core level TBH as I engage a very different set of muscles. This is exactly what I worked on at with Erik at GE last year.

Anyway, I'm going to be patient. I've made bigger changes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Vishal S.