IGNORED

Wedge question

Alohaed
Note: This thread is 3386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

Happy New Year all. I've read and heard that one should never hit a full shot using a wedge. IF this is true, and playing course management, if anything I should leave and approach shot to the green for my gap wedge and up? Gap, carry 110, PW 120? So if I end up 100, rather than full swing my SW, choke down and/or hit a easy GW? And after reading posts about the book Lowest Score Wins, simply get it as close as I can to the green and learn to use my wedges for different distances?

Hi,      Happy New Year all. I've read and heard that one should never hit a full shot using a wedge. IF this is true, and playing course management, if anything I should leave and approach shot to the green for my gap wedge and up? Gap, carry 110, PW 120? So if I end up 100, rather than full swing my SW, choke down and/or hit a easy GW? And after reading posts about the book Lowest Score Wins, simply get it as close as I can to the green and learn to use my wedges for different distances?

The easiest way to find your 100 yard shot is to go somewhere(course,range,park if they allow it) and hit 10-20 3/4 pw and use a range finder to see your distance. Do the same for 1/2 shots. Then repeat with all of your wedges. I did this last fall and found my 100 yard shot is a 3/4 pw. I hit my gw full 115-120 and my pw 130-135. Before I did this I always tried to hit a soft gw and struggled. Everyone's 3/4 is different. Some people feel like they are swinging 3/4 but it's a lot like their full shots. Others like me swing 3/4 and lose a lot of distance from their full shot. I think my distances drop a lot cause I slow everything down when I hit partial shots. So not only is my back swing shorter but my club head speed drops a lot.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi,

Happy New Year all. I've read and heard that one should never hit a full shot using a wedge.

Not sure where you heard this but it's not true. Pros hit full wedge shots all the time.

And after reading posts about the book Lowest Score Wins, simply get it as close as I can to the green and learn to use my wedges for different distances?

Yes, obviously as long as you're not hitting into trouble. The book gets more into it and the strategy involved.

Check out this thread for partial wedge shots.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks all. I will read your thread MV. Hey MV, question, which actually belongs in "Clubs, Grips". Anyways, you and Iacas have good info on the manufactures. It appears the Titleist AP irons usually come out every 2 years, hence the 712 and 714(2012, 2014), similarly with the woods?  Do you think, or know, if they will have new irons this late fall for 2016?

It appears the Titleist AP irons usually come out every 2 years, hence the 712 and 714(2012, 2014), similarly with the woods?  Do you think, or know, if they will have new irons this late fall for 2016?

Yes the new drivers were just released in mid November so the irons will be later this year.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where you heard this but it's not true. Pros hit full wedge shots all the time.

Yes, obviously as long as you're not hitting into trouble. The book gets more into it and the strategy involved.

Check out this thread for partial wedge shots.

Thanks.

Actually. while watching Morning Drive today, Paige Mackenzie explained her scoring clubs. She said they were her wedges and they should never be hit to their full distance(full swing). She does this to eliminate the high sping. Takes a 3/4 swing so the ball doesn't spin back so much, therefore getting the same distance as a full swing. Make sense. YET I don't think I ever put spin on the ball and would want to learn, if necessary.  I guess it's a personal choice, to each their own for pros and/or instructors.

Note: This thread is 3386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!