IGNORED

Chipping ratio

RFKFREAK
Note: This thread is 3366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[quote name="Lihu" url="/t/79674/chipping-ratio#post_1100318"] All the really good golfers I know have totally different methods around the green and putting. So, whatever makes you comfortable, I guess. I do use the "brush method" on this site for my stroke and am using method of 12 with some degree of success, but to be honest my short game is the worst part of my game. I hope I can get that feel back again with my new swing.

Did you ever make it to Florida for your work related travel? I'd like to hook up with you and do some chipping. I'll bring the beer! :-)[/quote] Yes, I did, thanks, but I didn't have much time until the last two days. Lost 6 balls at Mangrove, then used hybrid on the rest of the holes off the tee. Met up with a friend. Going to China in a week, but would like to catch a round or chipping practice next time? My chipping is pretty good on the practice greens, but pretty horrible on the course. I don't think it's a mental thing, but just from being "out of breath"? In any case, I need a lot of work in this area, and everywhere else too!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, I did, thanks, but I didn't have much time until the last two days. Lost 6 balls at Mangrove, then used hybrid on the rest of the holes off the tee. Met up with a friend. Going to China in a week, but would like to catch a round or chipping practice next time? My chipping is pretty good on the practice greens, but pretty horrible on the course. I don't think it's a mental thing, but just from being "out of breath"? In any case, I need a lot of work in this area, and everywhere else too!

6 balls? Which holes? I'm guessing left on 2, right or left on 5, right on 6, left of right on 7, right on 8. You'd have to work at losing 6 balls. :-) I'm heading to Phoenix next month but not bringing my clubs. :-( I plan on doing some star gazing in NE AZ on my free time. I've lived my whole life around light pollution. I've never seen the Milky Way. A friend has a mountain retreat in the middle of nowhere. Looking forward to that.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I plan on doing some star gazing in NE AZ on my free time. I've lived my whole life around light pollution. I've never seen the Milky Way. A friend has a mountain retreat in the middle of nowhere. Looking forward to that.

That's awesome; I love astronomy. I think that would be the only thing that I would like about living in a rural area.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Yes, I did, thanks, but I didn't have much time until the last two days. Lost 6 balls at Mangrove, then used hybrid on the rest of the holes off the tee. Met up with a friend.

Going to China in a week, but would like to catch a round or chipping practice next time? My chipping is pretty good on the practice greens, but pretty horrible on the course. I don't think it's a mental thing, but just from being "out of breath"?

In any case, I need a lot of work in this area, and everywhere else too!

6 balls? Which holes? I'm guessing left on 2, right or left on 5, right on 6, left of right on 7, right on 8.

You'd have to work at losing 6 balls.

I'm heading to Phoenix next month but not bringing my clubs.

I plan on doing some star gazing in NE AZ on my free time. I've lived my whole life around light pollution. I've never seen the Milky Way. A friend has a mountain retreat in the middle of nowhere. Looking forward to that.

I'm a lefty and I was cutting some shots, and I lost one in the mud in a "swampy" muddy area to the right. It's a relatively short course, so the hybrid worked on the last 8 holes. If I bothered to keep score I shot around 90-ish (possibly 92) on the back tees. I got quite a few pars, but lost 6 balls. Actually, lost 4, had to take a drop out of the muddy reeds which I presumed was OB?

Have fun in Phoenix, the canyons in the NE AZ are really nice. I just stepped out of the hotel room and could see the milky way very clearly.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm a lefty and I was cutting some shots, and I lost one in the mud in a "swampy" muddy area to the right. It's a relatively short course, so the hybrid worked on the last 8 holes. If I bothered to keep score I shot around 90-ish (possibly 92) on the back tees. I got quite a few pars, but lost 6 balls. Actually, lost 4, had to take a drop out of the muddy reeds which I presumed was OB? Have fun in Phoenix, the canyons in the NE AZ are really nice. I just stepped out of the hotel room and could see the milky way very clearly.

The greens have been in tough shape this winter. I don't think they added rye this year. It's been 2 weeks since I played there, so maybe they have by now. What "swampy" muddy area? We're talking Florida. :-) Everywhere is a swamp. I'm going to PM they guy to find near what town in NE AZ he lives.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Ahh yes....Paul Wilson. He was the first instructor I ever had a lesson from. I loved his teaching method and personality. I actually hit chips shots via this method on that very green in the video. It worked well for me, as long as I hit my spot of one yard on the green. I have a hard time doing that with lower lofted clubs. I typically use a SW or GW when chipping and like to fly the ball closer to the hole. I should practice this method more as it did work. I found it easier to understand than the Rule of 12...basically because I didn't put the time into really understanding that video, well and, math is hard.

hope this was helpful

Well Lihu, if you have not played golf in China lately, it's not cheap.  And much too wintery except in the South, like Shenzhen area.  Maybe Shanghai also acceptable.  Have a good time.  If going to Mission Hills in Dongguan, try for the Ozaki Course. Really best of the 12.

Well Lihu, if you have not played golf in China lately, it's not cheap.  And much too wintery except in the South, like Shenzhen area.  Maybe Shanghai also acceptable.  Have a good time.  If going to Mission Hills in Dongguan, try for the Ozaki Course. Really best of the 12.

Thanks for the information, but it's not likely I will be able to play this trip. I haven't contacted any friends about it either. I'm working on a test fixture, which might take up all the time through the New Year's travel schedule. So, there will be impatient workers while we attempt to get this fixture working at the last possible minute. . .but it'll be fun. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

You can't learn a table or ratios like that and hope to put it into practice on the course. You have to hit 1000s of chips on the practice area with every club from LW to 6 iron and actually learn how the ball flies and rolls. Then you will be able to see the shot in front of you instead of trying to do math!

For the golfer who uses multiple clubs to chip with, it would be some what accurate...up to a point. I think it is a good learning process for the new golfer.

The golfer's own stroke, landing point, and if the chip were up hill, or down hill would have to be taken into account. Compensations would have to be made.  A 1.1 chip would not always be a SW/LW. It might be a PW/9-I depending on conditions of the chip.

I use various clubs to chip with based on what I am facing for the shot at hand. My thought is that by using multiple clubs, I can keep my chipping stroke pretty much the same, while letting the club do all the work. All I every look at are two landing areas. One being 2-3 feet on the green, and the other being half to the pin. Which ever one I pick to use, determines which club I will use.

Obviously for the golfer who only chips with one club, and there are many, this system would not work.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I went to Pelz school years ago and they used this formula. Every chip should be hit so that it lands three feet onto the green and then rolls to the hole. You determine the club to hit by subtracting the roll/carry ratio from 12. If you need it to roll 5 times as far as it flies, then 12-5=7 -- use a seven iron. Consider your pitching wedge to be a 10 iron. So if you need to carry it 10 feet and roll it another 20, use the PW.
  • Upvote 1

The ratio system really works. There are always variables to take into account such as really slow / fast greens, uphill / downhill, hard / soft greens, etc. Try the system out on the practice green to get the feel of the particular greens you're playing. It really is a matter of physics. Each club has a particular launch angle, spin rate that works out.

OK, maybe this is a stupid question, but... Could you not always use a SW and aim halfway between you and the pin? I'm ignoring the cases when you have too little green, of course. But in principle I do not see why this should not work. Instead of aiming for a yard into the green and estimating the ratio to the pin, just pick the 1:1 club and aim half-way. Thoughts?

OK, maybe this is a stupid question, but... Could you not always use a SW and aim halfway between you and the pin? I'm ignoring the cases when you have too little green, of course. But in principle I do not see why this should not work. Instead of aiming for a yard into the green and estimating the ratio to the pin, just pick the 1:1 club and aim half-way. Thoughts?

A SW is usually more than 1:1. The more loft, the increased angle, the more variability in how the ball releases. I'm sure you've hit SW that hit and sticks and SW that hit and roll out. The biggest thing is to get the ball rolling as soon as possible on the green. If I'm 5 feet off the green, I can hit 8 feet pretty regularly. If I'm aiming 20 feet, not as good. In fact, when I have long chips (+50 feet) I find it much better to hit a 6 iron or so and roll it rather than fly the ball farther.

• Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOX View Post

I went to Pelz school years ago and they used this formula. Every chip should be hit so that it lands three feet onto the green and then rolls to the hole. You determine the club to hit by subtracting the roll/carry ratio from 12. If you need it to roll 5 times as far as it flies, then 12-5=7 -- use a seven iron. Consider your pitching wedge to be a 10 iron. So if you need to carry it 10 feet and roll it another 20, use the PW.

The problem with that is that you're aiming for a spot only three feet onto the green. The margin for error is small.

We wrote a bit in LSW , well, I'll just quote that section:

Quote:

Quick tip time. As you know, we love commonalities of the game’s greatest players, and it turns out when faced with a greenside shot, the best players in the game fly the ball very similar distances on similar shots. For example, with 40 feet of green to work with, they tend to fly the ball about 10 feet onto the green, allowing it to roll the remaining 30 feet. With 60 feet of green to work with they’ll land the ball about 15 feet on and allow it to roll 45 feet. This is, of course, not a hard and fast rule as many times the green will have a severe slope or they will be forced to play over a bunker.

What is interesting is that Tour players, when asked, say they never think about this when hitting a shot. They just intuitively grab the club that carries the ball the correct distance and rolls it the rest of the way. Understanding this is very important to your short game, as you can use this knowledge to make the proper club selection for most of your shots around the green.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The problem with that is that you're aiming for a spot only three feet onto the green. The margin for error is small.

We wrote a bit in LSW, well, I'll just quote that section:

I find that quote to be true. I usually have some sort of idea of what type of shot I want to hit. Then choose a club that fits that image. I never really sit back and calculate ratios or how far onto the green I need to hit it exactly.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!