IGNORED

Wedge gap distances

rmenary
Note: This thread is 3299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This question pertains to not going to get fitted, so please keep this in mind. First off, I'm a 17 handicap (14.5 index). My pitching wedge is 45 degrees. I was gifted a Titleist Vokey SM5 52 degree for Xmas and have hit it many times so returning it is not an option. My question is if I were to buy one more of these would a 58 degree be the best to fit into the gap? I feel a 56 might be to close to the 52 and a 60 might be too much. Thanks for the replies.

Cheers,
Rick Menary

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This question pertains to not going to get fitted, so please keep this in mind. First off, I'm a 17 handicap (14.5 index). My pitching wedge is 45 degrees. I was gifted a Titleist Vokey SM5 52 degree for Xmas and have hit it many times so returning it is not an option. My question is if I were to buy one more of these would a 58 degree be the best to fit into the gap? I feel a 56 might be to close to the 52 and a 60 might be too much. Thanks for the replies.

The distances you get will dictate what you need.

My 60 carries about 95 (FS), 52 carries 115 and PW (49 degree) about 130. A 56 should go about 105 for me. I feel like a 56 would be a perfect addition, but would need to take out my 3i to add it.

52 might be fine depending upon the length of the courses you play and how far you drive the ball.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My question was about adding another Vokey to the mix. I have a 45 degree sand wedge and a 52 degree Vokey. Would a 58 degree be better than a 56 or 60 degree? I hit my 52 about 95 yards. Thanks.

Cheers,
Rick Menary

It depends upon your most common distances after your tee shot.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What is the distance gap between your (Ping?) 45* PW and the 52* Vokey GW? You are combining different wedge models, so this gap might be longer or shorter than you want.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's consider the G15 iron and Vokey wedge specs:

• G15..9i.....40* loft...35.75" shaft
  • G.PW......45* loft... 35.50" shaft
  • V............52* loft... 35.50" shaft
  • V............56* loft...35.25" shaft
  • V....58* or 60* loft..35.0" shaft

The G15 PW and V 52* have same shaft length. This

may cut down on distance gap between wedges.

If you got the right 58*, it could be both a SW and LW...

but, you would have a 0.5" gap in shaft length going

from GW to SW/LW. (maybe custom length//)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, what distance gap do you want on your wedges? Also, would you hit the SW/LW (or SW and LW) for full shots, or just partials around green?

You need to decide what you want out of your wedges before we can help you that much.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have the same problems with gaps in my wedges. I just purchased the Callaway XRs which have a PW loft of 45*. My Fourteen Gap Wedge is a 52* leaving a seven degree gap between my PW and Gap wedge. It may be too much of a gap but I'll have to see. I didn't buy the XR gap cause I wanted to save a little money, but I may be buying it after all. It has a 50* loft.

cooke,

Check out the distance gap between the PW and the 52* GW. You're mixing wedge models in the same bag. Don't assume a 7* loft gap always guarantees X distance.

My X20 Tour irons only have a 46* PW in the set. So, I had to look elsewhere for specialty wedges. Cleveland CG14 wedges flew well, but the CG14  GWs had the same shaft length as the Callaway PW.  I assumed I would need the G14 52* to get a good distance gap. But, I ended up going with the CG14 in 50*.

The Callaway PW had a hotter face than the CG14s, and flew 15 yards farther than the 52* CG14. With 50* CG14 the gap was still 12 yards, which I could handle.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

WUTiger, I have the same 45° PW to 52° wedge gap...I think all my wedges are the same length... I think it depends on how far he averages with a FS PW... 52 isn't necessarily the wrong loft there, but it could be... Especially considering different OEMs between irons and wedges... and that could have something to do with it... when I was carrying a 2I, I played 52° and 58° wedges and it worked well for me...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

What is the distance gap between your (Ping?) 45* PW and the 52* Vokey GW? You are combining different wedge models, so this gap might be longer or shorter than you want.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's consider the G15 iron and Vokey wedge specs:

G15..9i.....40* loft...35.75" shaft

G.PW......45* loft...35.50" shaft

V............52* loft...35.50" shaft

V............56* loft...35.25" shaft

V....58* or 60* loft..35.0" shaft

The G15 PW and V 52* have same shaft length. This

may cut down on distance gap between wedges.

If you got the right 58*, it could be both a SW and LW...

but, you would have a 0.5" gap in shaft length going

from GW to SW/LW. (maybe custom length//)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, what distance gap do you want on your wedges? Also, would you hit the SW/LW (or SW and LW) for full shots, or just partials around green?

You need to decide what you want out of your wedges before we can help you that much.

Thanks Tiger.

The distance between my PW and the 52* is about 15 yards. I'm going to head to Goldsmith this weekend and hit some different lofts. Just partials around the green to answer your question.

Cheers,
Rick Menary

Then your loft of your third wedge isn't going to matter that much if you are just hitting partial shots with it... I know one of the guys in the Wednesday league last year, his shortest club for the longest time was a 52°, until me and about another 3 guys said you don't need a sand or lob wedge for full shots, it's all those partial shots, and bunker shots, and shots you need a sledgehammer to get through the rough... so he got a higher bounce 56°... When you decide on your third wedge, if you do get a 58°, make sure it has Sand Wedge bounce, meaning 12-14° of leading edge bounce so you can use it for sand shots and such...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I'll have a 5i through PW (45*) Callaway XR irons; 52* Fourteen Gap Wedge; 56* Taylor Made RAC SW (that club I love and is not leaving the bag); and a 58* Fourteen lob wedge. I'm only concerned between the45*  PW and the52*  Gap. I don't know the shaft lengths although I purchased all Standard length clubs (based on fitting and hitting a strike board). All good points above, I'll just have to play with the clubs and see what I need to do, if anything.

BTW, I pick the new irons up tomorrow, can't wait to get them to the range and more importantly on the course.

I go 46, 52, 58. So I would recommend you go with a 58.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmenary

I go 46, 52, 58. So I would recommend you go with a 58.

Me too!  I think covers the gaps pretty well and you can get the in between yardages with 1/2 and 3/4 shots.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thanks boys. I'm going to Golfsmith this weekend to spend a couple hours. Hopefully this is the last week in the 20's here in Michigan. I'm so over this winter.

Cheers,
Rick Menary

Might depend what else you want to carry. Some people would go with 52, 56, AND 60, but if you want only one more wedge, the 58 degree sand wedge is probably just right (and should also work for short chips and lobs).

• 1 month later...

Because I love my Titleist irons (690 MB), I decided to switch from TaylorMade RAC to Titleist Vokey SM4 wedges and managed to buy a whole lot of them for little money off ebay (52, 54, 56, 58, 60). My RAC's were 52/56/60 and it always seemed to work well for me, but I decided to try the 54/58 and somehow feel even more comfortable with that. Trouble is, my 52 wedge has become more or less redundant (I only used it for one shot in a full round yesterday, and even that was more for the sake of using it, although on that shot it still worked well for me). I'm going to give it another few weeks before making the final decision, but it looks like I'll be sticking with 54/58.

I had a similar problem with my wedges two years back. I have a 46* pw and went with 50 54 58. I eventually had the 46 bent to 48, 54 bent to a 53 and the 58 bent to a 59. Just worked better for me. I sold the 50. Yardage gaps improved drastically.

callaway.gif Razr Fit 8.5* Stiff

callaway.gif Big Bertha Hawkeye 3W

callaway.gifFT Fusion 2H, 3H

callaway.gif  X-22 Tour 5- PW PX 6.0

vokey.gif SM5 48-08 FG
vokey.gif SM5 54-10 SG

vokey.gif SM5 59-07 SG

Note: This thread is 3299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!