IGNORED

Pete's Programme (Single Digit to Tour Player)

Nosevi
Note: This thread is 2900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Yeah so deadlifts, squats and bench press :-)

Yep. I also throw in a bar with a spring in it I use to increase strength in my lats (and wrists and forearm strength) and Sit-ups. Between those and the 3 you've mentioned I think the 3 tests TPI do are pretty much covered. Obviously I do general strength and conditioning work as well. 

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Yeah so deadlifts, squats and bench press :-)

Except if you cant jump those things aren't going to significantly help. Jumping is a very good indication of general athleticism as well as seeing how someone throws a ball.

9 hours ago, Nosevi said:

Things.

Think about it like this you wouldn't start a wood carving with a pen knife but with an axe. Simply playing and practicing different shots will refine that strength to your use. Well the TPI thing is interesting but actually pretty simple. What it really comes down to is estimating strength in the main movers of the golf swing and adding in a test for athleticism(jump) for increased accuracy. I would still argue that in estimating future potential vertical leap alone would be the simplest and easiest way of doing so. Current potential is a different story and for that TPI adds in the med ball things.

Well Dan is in a class of his own in being scrawny but looking at the tours you're right in that there are players who are small and pretty weak but still hit plenty of distance. This boils down to the argument of wether they would be better players if they had a bit more mass/strength which I think they would.

Looking at golf pros on tours I feel that you could actually get an advantage on the field by simply being more fit. I've yet to see a single pro golfer who was in a shape you couldn't reach in less than a year. From what I've seen though every sport is going through a fitness craze coaches and players are realizing that simply working at the gym they can gain an advantage once everyones doing it it's no longer an advantage anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has been a very interesting read. I am of the opinion that it has now been 'pretty well' proven that a fit, strong, athletic individual will be able to potentially generate greater club head speed. Lets face it, the fitness gurus at TPI do in fact know their stuff. To that end a fitness program in the 'off season' can be constructed that works on overall conditioning and strength as opposed to massive bulk which surprisingly a number of golfers seem to deem necessary. Lets be honest, you do not need to be able to bench 300Lb+ unless you want to compete in the Long Drive world. Five days a week, an hour to an hour and a quarter in the gym plus 40 - 50 minutes on a static bike will get the job done. 1 x exercise of chest, biceps, triceps, back, shoulders and legs every day of the five days with two days complete rest from the gym. Also included in the workout are 4 x core exercises that I use as a warm up. Happy to discuss further should anyone wish to.

Have my doubts about how much bulking up will truly help with increasing club head speed.  For me, some of that is inborn (fast twitch reflexes) but this can be developed to some extent.  For me the key is actually good core muscles and the ability to coil and generate speed

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 4 months later...

Hi Pete ( @Nosevi),  the winter is done. How about an update? Are you going to enter competition or did you? Playing in tourneys? Hope you made some (a lot) progress.

5 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Hi Pete ( @Nosevi),  the winter is done. How about an update? Are you going to enter competition or did you? Playing in tourneys? Hope you made some (a lot) progress.

He is too busy unbunching his panties.-He gets super pissed for no real reason and likes to take his ball and go home.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

3 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

He is too busy unbunching his panties.-He gets super pissed for no real reason and likes to take his ball and go home.

Hmmm...

Kind of like others I know.....

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

3 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

16 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

Hmmm...

Kind of like others I know.....

The other side of the coin is possibly that he doesn't have time to argue over what he perceives to be minor issues.

It's probably a common trait for golfers with a set goal in mind. I mean, if you have this goal to become good within a certain amount of time it tends to put a lot of pressure on you. Pete's put a lot of pressure on himself, and probably feels a need to prove himself? IDK.

As a changed counter example, I'm now pretty happy being in the mid-handicap range, so it takes a bit more now to get me ruffled. I really have nothing to prove, and I kind of know what limits me from improving (talent :whistle:). Back when I wanted to improve a lot more, hoo boy, I was super sensitive about everything. :cry: but now am more or less. . .bite my shiny metal wedge. . .:banana:

So, I would argue that many or most golfers are really sensitive during their "improvement" stage no matter at what level.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

16 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

Thanks on the mature reaction on this sincere question I asked. :mellow:

• Administrator
9 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Thanks on the mature reaction on this sincere question I asked. :mellow:

Thing is… It does answer your questions. It informs you that he's unlikely to answer and why.

Pete's been banned from the site in the past and only upon asking to return and promising to be more chill (my words) was he allowed to return. Then he failed at being more chill and left of his own accord the second time.

I'll ask a few mods about locking the topic, and if they think it's best, we'll do so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas locked this topic
Note: This thread is 2900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!