IGNORED

Trump: I'm still making money off golf industry

Moppy
Note: This thread is 3274 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

High end Golf is like real estate in NYC or Tokyo. Even in a downturn, there is enough demand. Catering to the very high end usually means people who are recession proof. And golf courses who cater to that demographic are less affected than by private courses whose lose memberships when the economy goes South. Partly because many people, although they can afford the club, cannot continue if their finances take a hit. Unlike forgoing other expensive purchases for more tangible assets, golf clubs and high end destinations that cater to wealthier people usually get enough business from people insulated from downturns. In my area there are a number of private courses that went semi-private due to this. however that would never happen at a couple that I know of. They'll be exclusive and expensive forever.

Good points. Some good courses in Pittsburgh, love going up there to play. One of my best friends is a member at Valley Brook CC.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read an interview in Golf Digest with Donald Trump, and he talked about how his courses were always full and he couldn't even get his friends out there to play.  The interviewer then called these courses to see if times were available.  Every single course he called was wide open to play.  Trump buys famous courses like Doral saying that he will make it better than it is... I mean, it's already hosting tournaments every year, what more can he really do?  Sure he is a great businessman, but that doesn't mean you can automatically run the best courses anywhere.  His boasts are empty in the golf business.  The other way I think about it is, I'm not going to play golf at Doral because it has Trumps name on it.  I'll play it for the course itself.  He seems to believe that because it has his name now, people will play for the name and not the golf.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I read an interview in Golf Digest with Donald Trump, and he talked about how his courses were always full and he couldn't even get his friends out there to play.  The interviewer then called these courses to see if times were available.  Every single course he called was wide open to play.  Trump buys famous courses like Doral saying that he will make it better than it is... I mean, it's already hosting tournaments every year, what more can he really do?  Sure he is a great businessman, but that doesn't mean you can automatically run the best courses anywhere.  His boasts are empty in the golf business.  The other way I think about it is, I'm not going to play golf at Doral because it has Trumps name on it.  I'll play it for the course itself.  He seems to believe that because it has his name now, people will play for the name and not the golf.

This doesn't surprise me at all, re: his claim of, his courses are always full. He and 20 of his buddies could easily play Trump National by my house, most any time or day of the week..I walk my dog above the course often, unless there's a corporate tourney  or something, it's pretty slow.

"The Donald" knows.............

The upscale golf market is highly competitive, but his properties thrive because he offers an elite product and the consumers know it.

Golf for the regular person is healthy too...........don't listen to the BS Hype. If business is struggling at your home course whether public or private, it's because they don't offer a competitive product.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 2 months later...

He's an egomaniac, and I hate effing egomaniacs.  I won't be surprised that his golf clubs are not doing as well as he says.   I'd rather play a muni course 5 times than play in one of his courses.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

He's an egomaniac, and I hate effing egomaniacs.  I won't be surprised that his golf clubs are not doing as well as he says.   I'd rather play a muni course 5 times than play in one of his courses.

You're going to miss out on playing some great golf courses because his name is associated with the course?  Greg Norman is a huge egomaniac too are courses he's been involved with on your banned list too?

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

You're going to miss out on playing some great golf courses because his name is associated with the course?  Greg Norman is a huge egomaniac too are courses he's been involved with on your banned list too?

So be it.  There are so many other good courses to play.  I as a consumer will make my own choice on where to play.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3274 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!