IGNORED

2015 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Couple thoughts: 1) I think Spieth would have been better playing with Phil tomorrow. I think he would have more of a comfort level there....playing with Rose I think may bring out some of the nerves. 2) Not really enjoying seeing Augusta playing this easy. Just doesn't feel like the Masters seeing the ball check the way it has. But then again, you can't control the weather and the humidity has really played a factor coupled with a very wet spring they've had. 3) Really happy for Tiger this week and makes me more confident he will break Sam's record. Still doubtful about the major record when you see guys like Rory and Spieth out there that may block his way. But great to see him finding his form again. On a side note....as many of you know I have a few bucks on Jordan. Well, I had a few bucks on Phil at Merion in 2013 and damn Justin Rose ruined my day. So yeah, I'm just a wee bit nervous about Mr. Rose. He's not my favorite player much like Mr. Pedroia isn't my favorite baseball player. He has a way of ruining my happiness (as a Rays fan).

Couple thoughts:

1) I think Spieth would have been better playing with Phil tomorrow. I think he would have more of a comfort level there....playing with Rose I think may bring out some of the nerves.

Not sure about that. Phil has a following and if he gets going that is a lot of pressure. Though I think he'll be in a lot of pressure if any of the few behind him put in a low score.

Nothing like the final 9 holes on sunday at The Masters.

2) Not really enjoying seeing Augusta playing this easy. Just doesn't feel like the Masters seeing the ball check the way it has. But then again, you can't control the weather and the humidity has really played a factor coupled with a very wet spring they've had.

It's playing slightly easier this year. Usually it plays -8 to -16 for the winning score. So I wouldn't say it is playing overly easy. Speith is just playing really really well this week.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't understand how Faldo was surprised by Jordan's flop on 18. He took 5 swings that clearly indicated the shot he was gonna play. Maybe he was watching live from the tower vs via the monitor and couldn't tell from that perspective. Just thought that a little weird.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Not sure about that. Phil has a following and if he gets going that is a lot of pressure. Though I think he'll be in a lot of pressure if any of the few behind him put in a low score.

Nothing like the final 9 holes on sunday at The Masters.

Yeah, but Spieth being a Ryder Cup partner of his and from listening to Phil yesterday, the two are friends, I think there'd be a comfort level there. There's something about Rose that when he's on his A-game....I don't know...almost like playing with Faldo in his prime. He's serious and he's dangerous.

It's playing slightly easier this year. Usually it plays -8 to -16 for the winning score. So I wouldn't say it is playing overly easy. Speith is just playing really really well this week.

Well, Hoffman's shot on 6 wouldn't almost always come down that hill and go off the green. That thing never would stop near the hole like that. It's just odd seeing it playing so receptive. But I also think a lot of it is the fact the top-4 guys are just playing great golf and are playing the aggressive shots the correct way, and it's paying off.

Tiger and Rory off tomorrow at 2:30. If this thing was close, it would be a drool-inducing Sunday for any TV producer

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

The two penultimate pairings include Tiger, Phil, and Rory. If there's any truth to the psychological effects of the Augusta roar, Jordan Spieth and Justin Rose are going to feel it if any of those three start making birdies.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

The two penultimate pairings include Tiger, Phil, and Rory. If there's any truth to the psychological effects of the Augusta roar, Jordan Spieth and Justin Rose are going to feel it if any of those three start making birdies.

I think the Phil roars may be the ones that rattle them some. I think most realize it is going to take a miraculous start (like a 29 on the front) for Tiger-Rory to have any chance. Still an awesome story to see the games 3 biggest stars and its newest star all in the last few pairings tomorrow.

Also, just heard this on TGC....  this is the 4th straight tournament Jordan will be in the final pair on Sunday. That's pretty remarkable.

What a back nine.

The day started off with fireworks as Tiger got the action rolling. But there was a lull in the middle as everything cooled down for a stretch. We all enjoyed the hope that Tiger was making a run that might turn miraculous, but then we realized it was more of a statement that he was back than it was a comeback for this tournament. Very cool run though.

Then, wow. Mickelson shoots -4 on the front (and an emotional roller coaster -1 on the back), and Rose goes -7 on his final 11 holes to make this a tourney again. Spieth didn't give it away- those two guys earned it, which makes it all the more exciting for tomorrow.  Hate watching a guy choke. Spieth had a couple hiccups, but at -2 for the day, he wasn't really giving it away. Someone had to catch him. And that they did- even if still trailing by 4 or 5.

Spieth, Rose, Mickelson, and Hoffman have really separated themselves from the pack behind them. I don't really mind the low-ish scores of the leaders. To me, these guys have earned their good scores by separating themselves, and some danger lurks all over that course. After the top 4, the next best is -6, so the course doesn't seem ridiculously easy. These four guys are just head and shoulders above everyone else this week.  It's almost like Spieth laid down the challenge with his first two rounds and just a few others were able to answer.

I still give Spieth the edge tomorrow, but I worry that after last year's letdown at Augusta, he might really feel the pressure. Last year, Spieth just got blown out by Bubba down the stretch, and he might feel like "geez, again????!!!" if someone gets hot.  If he can't close this out, it could really haunt him in his career.  Mickelson and Rose have the firepower to chase him down and put the heat on. He's going to have to earn this. I'd love to see him do it.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Even par tomorrow would likely be enough for Spieth to win the championship, but the gap between he and Rose is enough that he can't play too conservatively, especially if Rose gets off to a hot start. Mickelson and Hoffman just need to make birdies. The group at 6-under isn't completely out of it, but their game plan has to involve shooting 65, and hoping Spieth fades. I don't think Na or Streelman have that kind of scoring pace, but Dustin Johnson does, and he goes off first. If Rory or Tiger make the turn at double digits below par, expect pandemonium on the back nine.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Lastly, that museum in the Rolex-Tiger commercial looks like the boring-est museum in the history of all museums. But at least it doesn't play the song "Hall of Fame" like the Omega-Rory commercial from other tourneys in 2014. That's still in my head. Is it a rule that watch commercials must be annoying?

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Even par tomorrow would likely be enough for Spieth to win the championship, but the gap between he and Rose is enough that he can't play too conservatively, especially if Rose gets off to a hot start. Mickelson and Hoffman just need to make birdies. The group at 6-under isn't completely out of it, but their game plan has to involve shooting 65, and hoping Spieth fades. I don't think Na or Streelman have that kind of scoring pace, but Dustin Johnson does, and he goes off first. If Rory or Tiger make the turn at double digits below par, expect pandemonium on the back nine.

I disagree. I think he needs at least -2 to secure the tournament.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I hope that Tiger and Rory push each other, and the both shoot mid-sixties. That'd be cool as hell.

In terms of winner, I think Spieth has this. If he shoots 3 under or better, there's no doubt.

• Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Tiger and Rory would need 62 or 63 to Crash the Party... that being said it's Spieth's tournament to lose... Tiger would have to start the way he started the first four holes today, If Tiger or Rory can cut the deficit in half by the turn... they're in the ball game... 5 shots has been made up on the second nine several times... (A 29 would probably do it)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Tiger and Rory would need 62 or 63 to Crash the Party... that being said it's Spieth's tournament to lose... Tiger would have to start the way he started the first four holes today, If Tiger or Rory can cut the deficit in half by the turn... they're in the ball game... 5 shots has been made up on the second nine several times... (A 29 would probably do it)

62 or 63 probably wouldn't even be enough. They prolly need to go 59. I'm sure the two of them will have a nice little game going tomorrow with either some monetary rewards on the line or maybe dinner rewards of some sort to the winner.

62 or 63 probably wouldn't even be enough. They prolly need to go 59. I'm sure the two of them will have a nice little game going tomorrow with either some monetary rewards on the line or maybe dinner rewards of some sort to the winner.

Pretty much, even if Spieth goes even par Rory or Tiger would need a 62 to just tie him. I guess 62 might be the highest they can score with an outside chance unless a lot of people falter along with Spieth.

I peg Spieth for at least -2 tomorrow, so I would say 59 or 60 for them to tie Spieth.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I disagree. I think he needs at least -2 to secure the tournament.

That's why I said likely . If Spieth reaches 18-under tomorrow, it will be close to impossible for anybody to catch him; if he shoots even par, maybe Mickelson or Rose could shoot 67 or 68, but I'd give them less than a 50 percent chance. He can't assume 18 pars will get the job done if his lead is cut to one or two strokes early on, but at the same time, the wheels can fall off quickly if he starts focusing on breaking scoring records instead of winning the tournament. His lead is not as secure as it may seem, but he's in control at the moment.

What is the slope and etc rating for Augusta on Sunday? Just wondering how to compare it to my local muni.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Note: This thread is 3299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!