IGNORED

Playing Tees Based on Driver Distance x 28

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Use the Tee it forward yardages or the ones from the article?

• Tee it forward, of course!
    • The article analyzes the distances quite well, I'd play 28 times my driver distance

One thing for sure I don't think perceived pace should be a factor in the decision. I've never seen poor golf played quickly. It's more than the amount of time it takes to prepare and take the shot. Anyone playing badly at any level has been kicking through weeds looking for balls. At some point struggling to play out of trouble is going to cost time as well as strokes and it isn't enjoyable. You will be out of position further away from the green and it will cause you to fall behind. Play where you stand a chance to make par and mundane bogeys.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One thing for sure I don't think perceived pace should be a factor in the decision. I've never seen poor golf played quickly. It's more than the amount of time it takes to prepare and take the shot. Anyone playing badly at any level has been kicking through weeds looking for balls. At some point struggling to play out of trouble is going to cost time as well as strokes and it isn't enjoyable. You will be out of position further away from the green and it will cause you to fall behind. Play where you stand a chance to make par and mundane bogeys.

You're only saying this because you hate to wait for 2-3 shots (per golfer) before you tee off. :-D

If you look at the overall time, it might still be on pace. Just frustrating to watch. . . :-\

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

You're only saying this because you hate to wait for 2-3 shots (per golfer) before you tee off.

If you look at the overall time, it might still be on pace. Just frustrating to watch. . .

Yup, this happened to us one day a few months back.

We were moaning and groaning at the pace of a front group one day, and finally called the golf shop to send a marshal out.  They were not good golfers and we were sure they are moving very slow.   Well, the marshal came back to let us know that they are at 4.5 hour pace (weekend round target pace) and looked at us funny as if to say "what are you griping about?"

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

They do and they don't. Some courses that may actually play 10 shots harder than others only slope about 3 shots harder. I was a member of a club where visitors came and couldn't get within 10 of their handicap. I'm talking about guys who played off single figures. Someone on this site who calls himself a "70s shooter" could possibly never have come within a sniff of breaking 80 on normal courses from, back tees which I am forced to play from every single round. In Australia, you have the back tees which are only used in medal play, but usually you're only talking about a difference of a few metres on the majority of holes. When I see the "social tees"  (for non members, casual players) 50 to 100 metres forward, I can visual the difference and it seems to be the option that a lot of U.S. players have. Not the same game. Probably more fun, though.

Yeah, don't see the argument here. I've played in Scotland, same deal, you play the tees they set out, period. Thing is though, they're not setting tees for a pro tournament. Some will be tipped but most won't be. I don't see why in Oz for regular play they'd tip out every hole, I doubt they do. It's about slope and rating. 126 is a pretty easy track, regardless the distance. You do have a pretty good beef about your hcap system, I'll give you that but your gripe about distance doesn't hold much water. I voted Tee it Forward. Seems much more reasonable. I interpreted the x28 as a 275 yd drive equates to a 7700 yd course? No way! I hit it 275 and there is no chance I'm gonna try to take on a behemoth like that. 7000 is about the deepest I'll go and if it's 6990, I'll be a lot more confident walking to the 1st tee.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Where I play the T it forward dista is based on your handicap or average score not your driver distance

Actually, these are directly related.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Played 7000 yards today and played well. Enjoyed it very much.

That's because you know your real average driving distance!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

That's because you know your real average driving distance!

Had to be coerced into it. Was talking about it beforehand then chickened out and wanted to play blues. Ended up shooting 79 with two doubles and a triple.

Well some times not so much I average 250 but my hc is 24, the 250 is seldom I. The fairway [quote name="Lihu" url="/t/81028/should-you-play-tees-courses-based-solely-from-driver-times-28/60#post_1121847"][quote name="VegasRenegade" url="/t/81028/should-you-play-tees-courses-based-solely-from-driver-times-28/72#post_1121842"]Where I play the T it forward dista is based on your handicap or average score not your driver distance[/quote] Actually, these are directly related.[/quote]

Also helps to be able to poke out there 297 yards. ;)

Not counting my two drives lost in the woods, and thus not gamegolf-ed, I averaged 269.5 with the driver. Very good for me.

Had to be coerced into it. Was talking about it beforehand then chickened out and wanted to play blues.

Ended up shooting 79 with two doubles and a triple.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Not counting my two drives lost in the woods, and thus not gamegolf-ed, I averaged 269.5 with the driver. Very good for me.

Gangsta!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

We were moaning and groaning at the pace of a front group one day, and finally called the golf shop to send a marshal out.  They were not good golfers and we were sure they are moving very slow.   Well, the marshal came back to let us know that they are at 4.5 hour pace (weekend round target pace) and looked at us funny as if to say "what are you griping about?"

Yes but published POP is the maximum and shouldn't be considered the target pace. Just think that it could be better for everyone on the course if golfers played from tees that minimized the struggle. For me watching people struggle on the course isn't frustrating because of the time but because I see it as unnecessary. I guess I don't understand why someone would spend the time and effort to make golf more frustrating than it has to be. If I don't stand a chance to break 80 I don't even want to be on the course.

Yes but published POP is the maximum and shouldn't be considered the target pace. Just think that it could be better for everyone on the course if golfers played from tees that minimized the struggle. For me watching people struggle on the course isn't frustrating because of the time but because I see it as unnecessary. I guess I don't understand why someone would spend the time and effort to make golf more frustrating than it has to be. If I don't stand a chance to break 80 I don't even want to be on the course.

On weekend in my home course, POP is the minimum pace for all intents and purpose.

Struggling (or scrambling without style ;-) ) is (or can be) part of fun, ain't it?  I broke 80 only once but I am still on the course, struggling and having fun.   Sometimes, it is frustrating but which sport isn't?

Back to the OP, my home course forces all tournaments to be played from shorter tee.   If they want to play from longer tee, they must get special permission from the course.   I think they check average handicap & background of the participants and decide.   The shorter tee yardage

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

You're only saying this because you hate to wait for 2-3 shots (per golfer) before you tee off.

If you look at the overall time, it might still be on pace. Just frustrating to watch. . .

A 4½ hour pace is usually going to seem snail-like for a decent player who is used to playing at a reasonable speed.  I used to play in a regular foursome with 3 friends, and no matter how fast the course was playing we always ended up waiting on the group ahead.  One of my buddies would inevitably cry and bitch about it, then I'd point out that we were on a pace to finish in under 4 hours - that usually settled him down.

For those of us who typically play at a good pace, 4½ hours is positively lethargic.  Any foursome that can't keep a better pace than that has some issues to resolve, and while they might be a factor, there is more to those issues than just tee selection.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Back to the OP, my home course forces all tournaments to be played from shorter tee.   If they want to play from longer tee, they must get special permission from the course.   I think they check average handicap & background of the participants and decide.   The shorter tee yardage

That's because tournaments are a crawl due to everyone overthinking it and trying to play as well as possible. They know putting golfers back will make it even longer. At my home course they put the white further up than usual for scrambles and every other tournament that isn't men's club and completely remove the blues. We have a few courses here that require permission from the pro shop to play tips. Basically you need a handicap that justifies being back there. Other's have recommendations based on handicap. It's more than how far they can hit driver a higher handicap golfer is lesser skilled period. I wish more golfers would consider the recommendations because my experience is lesser skilled golfers are hindered by distance simply because they infrequently make good contact.

This is an example of why people playing tees inappropriate to their skill is frustrating. This course has 5 tees rated for men; gold 7435 yard recommended handicap is 0-4, black 6950 5-11, blue 6589 12-17, white 6032 19-30 and silver 5305 31+. Most men play black or blue. Hole 1 is 436 - 420 - 387 from black to white. A guy that averages 225 with driver still has 162 yard approach from white tees if they manage to hit their average drive. From outside of 150 a golfer struggling to play bogey golf doesn't hit GIR often. For a guy that averages 225 that's probably a 6 iron maybe even a 5 iron. But he's back on blacks left with a 211 approach and that is probably a 3w so he's hitting driver and his longest fairway wood on a par 4. On the front of this course there are only two par 4's shorter than that so on the other two he can't even hit GIR if he could hit driver and tee it up and hit driver again for his second shot unless he hits two cracking shots. Which is unlikely given their lack of skill.

This is how poor I am from 150-175.

14% Left-28% Short-44%

This is that graphic so you can see it doesn't happen as often as I'd like. If you don't use GG each white dot is a shot, there are far less in the 100-125 example. This is 13 rounds of data. I could search and find a guy playing bogey golf on GG and their stats would be considerably worse.

Note: This thread is 3309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!