IGNORED

Unplayable Lie In The Bunker

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 3312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is a possible way out of the predicament.   When taking relief from an unplayable ball under Rule 28c , you have to drop your ball within two club lengths.  That means anywhere within that distance whether just under 2 club lengths, 2 centimetres or whatever.

I'm going right back to the original description because it occurs to me that the phrase I've highlighted in red might suggest that you think that when taking relief from an unplayable ball you have to drop two club lengths away.  You can drop any distance within that maximum - even  just a centimetre if it helped   sort the problem of finding somewhere not nearer the hole.

In this instance any club length got you closer t the hole.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You seem still to be fixed on club lengths.  You could, as I maybe didn't explain clearly enough, drop your ball on or a mere centimetre away from the unplayable lie. In the situation you describe it might be possible to drop the ball so that it struck  the bunker face just above where it had been i.e. further from the hole.  If it rolls into a place which requires a redrop, you drop again.  If the same happens again, you place the ball. If the placed ball won't stay in that place, you find a place not nearer the hole where it does stay at rest when placed.  That procedure might get you into a playable position from the ball embedded in the bunker face.

You seem still to be fixed on club lengths.  You could, as I maybe didn't explain clearly enough, drop your ball on or a mere centimetre away from the unplayable lie. In the situation you describe it might be possible to drop the ball so that it struck  the bunker face just above where it had been i.e. further from the hole.  If it rolls into a place which requires a redrop, you drop again.  If the same happens again, you place the ball. If the placed ball won't stay in that place, you find a place not nearer the hole where it does stay at rest when placed.  That procedure might get you into a playable position from the ball embedded in the bunker face.

I know the rules on dropping. And as I stated several times, the location of the ball and the flag precluded any of what you described.  The ball was almost under the lip, it was the weirdest lie I can ever remember seeing in a bunker.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinL

I know the rules on dropping. And as I stated several times, the location of the ball and the flag precluded any of what you described.  The ball was almost under the lip, it was the weirdest lie I can ever remember seeing in a bunker.

Then go back to your previous spot and take a penalty

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

I would've played it and it wasn't even my ball.

I had just never seen a situation where you couldn't find a spot within two club lengths to drop.  Thought it was an odd situation, brought it up.  Not that major of a deal like everyone seems to be making it out to be.

Last time I respond to this topic.

-Jerry

We weren't there and there's no picture, so obviously we don't know as well as you do what exactly the lie looked like.  But I am inclined to think that if the ball wasn't under the lip (you said almost under the lip), then it seems that the thing that must have made it unplayable was the fact that it was super buried and very close to the lip?

I ask just because if it's not actually under the lip and the bunker face isn't vertical or near vertical, then it seems to me that it should be physically possible to drop it to land exactly even with the original lie say 1" to the side twice, then place it there (a very minor push on the placement should get it to stay in the bunker unless it's near vertical), then try to play it out, possibly with an almost vertical down stroke.  I'm not challenging you, I'm just interested what exactly made that option not possible?  Bunker face too vertical?  Ball actually slightly under the lip?

Of course, in the situation I describe it might be that your most likely outcome is a one stroke penalty followed by ridiculous swing attempt to get the placed ball out of the bunker and then a second bunker shot.  So then, depending on how far away the approach shot was from, you're essentially saying that a guaranteed 5th shot from the bunker has a better average outcome than a 4th shot back from where the 2nd was taken.  This may or may not be true depending on where the approach shot was from, hole layout, conditions, and player skill of course.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

..... I ask just because if it's not actually under the lip and the bunker face isn't vertical or near vertical, then it seems to me that it should be physically possible to drop it to land exactly even with the original lie say 1" to the side twice, then place it there (a very minor push on the placement should get it to stay in the bunker unless it's near vertical), then try to play it out, possibly with an almost vertical down stroke.........

Yes, see post #17, but be careful,  You cannot push the ball down to make it stay put.

We weren't there and there's no picture, so obviously we don't know as well as you do what exactly the lie looked like.  But I am inclined to think that if the ball wasn't under the lip (you said almost under the lip), then it seems that the thing that must have made it unplayable was the fact that it was super buried and very close to the lip? I ask just because if it's not actually under the lip and the bunker face isn't vertical or near vertical, then it seems to me that it should be physically possible to drop it to land exactly even with the original lie say 1" to the side twice, then place it there (a very minor push on the placement should get it to stay in the bunker unless it's near vertical), then try to play it out, possibly with an almost vertical down stroke.  I'm not challenging you, I'm just interested what exactly made that option not possible?  Bunker face too vertical?  Ball actually slightly under the lip? Of course, in the situation I describe it might be that your most likely outcome is a one stroke penalty followed by ridiculous swing attempt to get the placed ball out of the bunker and then a second bunker shot.  So then, depending on how far away the approach shot was from, you're essentially saying that a guaranteed 5th shot from the bunker has a better average outcome than a 4th shot back from where the 2nd was taken.  This may or may not be true depending on where the approach shot was from, hole layout, conditions, and player skill of course.

A very minor push is a push nontheless

A very minor push is a push nontheless

Yeah I get that.  I'm just saying that if I "place" a ball in sand with the exact same amount of pressure/maneuvering/whatever anyone would use in any not perfectly flat area of grass to get it to stay where it's placed, it'll depress the sand enough that it'll stay there too unless the bunker face is super steep.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Yeah I get that.  I'm just saying that if I "place" a ball in sand with the exact same amount of pressure/maneuvering/whatever anyone would use in any not perfectly flat area of grass to get it to stay where it's placed, it'll depress the sand enough that it'll stay there too unless the bunker face is super steep.

Even the slightest pressure on the ball will result in your altering the surface of the sand  - which is a breach of Rule 1-2

If i can lift, clean and place (when permitted) and when placing move a blade of grass, am i penalized? As the Rules of Golf gets twisted around a grain of sand, it's little wonder folks take up bowling.

If i can lift, clean and place (when permitted) and when placing move a blade of grass, am i penalized? As the Rules of Golf gets twisted around a grain of sand, it's little wonder folks take up bowling.

Moving a blade of grass, or a grain of sand is not the same as pushing the ball into the sand with enough force (however much or little that might be) to keep it place where it wouldn't normally remain without that additional help....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

So apparently the solution in this situation is to knock it out of the spot with the back side of your putter (or other club) with a left handed swing (assuming it's embedded on the wrong side of the bunker lip) and let the ball roll to a more playable spot in the bunker (essentially a penalty but you hit the ball instead) then hit out of the bunker with your wedge.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

If I can lift, clean and place (when permitted) and when placing move a blade of grass, am I penalised? No

If I press a ball down when placing it in order to make it stay in place, am I penalised? Yes .

That's what the rules tell us simply and straightforwardly.   Where's the problem?  I expect that since bowling takes place on a very level surface without trees, ponds, sprinkler heads, trolleys, bunkers, rabbit holes, soggy bits, puddles,  etc, etc, its rules do not have to cover so many situations, but there will no doubt be rules.

Note: This thread is 3312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!