IGNORED

Big Break Mesquite

Ben
Note: This thread is 3716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I do enjoy the format of the competition I was referring to the level of play. The show used to be a reality show that sort of included your run of the mill player, there was a far greater mix in past seasons. This season is stacked and although that was their intention it just takes a small bit away from the show.

I agree to a point but I also think the golf channel has done a good job of making all the shows different. From men to women to mixed to Trump to now more accomplished players. So I dont really mind it this season as long as they dont make this the norm.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
But I do remember a couple times someone saying how the ball goes farther there because of the thinner air. I dont know the elevation of Mesquite compared to sea level but I'm sure it has an effect and is making these guys hit the ball further than they normally do.

Elevation: 1608 feet

Plus, the air is thinner because it's hot and not very humid. So that helps too. Personally, I think it'd be tough to go on the show and play in conditions where my club selection was off by 10% or 15% or whatever. I'm used to playing at 700 feet above sea level and usually in fairly thick air. If I suddenly gained 12 yards on my 7-iron it'd take me several shows just to adjust. I hope they were given a long day of playing on the range and on the course(s) to try to adjust.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I vaguely remember one of the contestants saying they had a week to practice before episode one. i.e., when Brian (I think) was talking about the elimination between Kevin and Benoit, he something to the affect, "It's awkward seeing (Benoit)Wah and Kevin going at it in an elimination since they have been the 2 who have grown closest this last week..."

When it's hot I love using a ball like Callaway HX Hot to see how far it goes....as for stopping on the green..fuhgettaboutit

In My Bag:
Driver: R9 TP 9.5°
Hybrids: Idea Pro, 16°, 20°, VS Proto
Irons: TP MB 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM 50.08 54°, 60°Putter: NP2

I do enjoy the format of the competition I was referring to the level of play. The show used to be a reality show that sort of included your run of the mill player, there was a far greater mix in past seasons. This season is stacked and although that was their intention it just takes a small bit away from the show.

I like the fact that these are the "best" players yet. They are playing for a spot in a PGA Tour event. I want to see the best players go at it. I would love to see this with guys who are between 126-135 on the money list and have them play for full status on tour next year.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

OK, I have to admit that I am now watching the Big Break. In fact, I am looking forward to 10 pm tonight.

The altitude/thin air deal is real. Having played at sea level in the humid South Florida region I remember playing in the desert in Arizona. That was worth about 5-10% more length. It took a little getting used to. I would think that at their skill level they could figure it out quickly.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I want to see the best players go at it. I would love to see this with guys who are between 126-135 on the money list and have them play for full status on tour next year.

I like that idea!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Was looking for this thread in the 'golf talk forum' hence its not really tour talk.

Anyways this is by far the best big break yet. Definetely seen alot more talent then past years. The best thing about the show is they're actually playing golf, not just stupid little games.. which was my biggest gripe with past seasons.

I agree with Iacas on the whole Matt E. thing. Everyones biggin him up and saying how he's clutch in pressure situations then i watched the guy miss a green from 140 yrds like 3 times in a row?! Further more, he stands up on every shot, swing looks awful----> and produces awful results. Thats what I took from watching him play.

Obviously Hiroshi and Anthony are the favorites now. Id look for that Aussie guy to do well and Josh as a sleeper.. the guys got the least experience but his swing looks better then most of the guys on the show.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

I don't know, I think Anthony is too much in his own head, and it will hurt him eventually. Mark, Kevin and Gerry are the bottom rung, IMO. Though talented, they're just not playing well. Obviously, Hiroshi is the smart favorite, but I think James is the real one to beat. I like his attitude, seems to have solid overall game. Josh's attitude is awesome but I'd have to think his lack of competitive experience will do him in.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Its getting better but The first one was still the best. Anyone find it weird that they dont even have video of them where they are staying this season. But I like Josh gotta cheer the underdog
Driver: Slazengar RD 13 Degree.
3 Wood. Burrows Mac 15 Degree.
Irons: CrossBax 3I 4I 5 - PW
Putter :teardrop:
Ball Pro V1

The best thing about this show is watching the players' club choice. It's refreshing to watch golf on TV and see guys using short irons for reasonable distances. I saw Hiroshi take an 8I from 163, another take a GW from 120, etc. For once, I don't have to see a guy take a 7I from just off the fringe and stick it from 190 yards away. Am I the only one who feels this way? Does anyone think the announcers are embellishing on club choice?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I'm enjoying the show and the new format. As already pointed out, a guy can have a bad day and not necessarily get knocked out.

Anyone else think the co-host with Stephanie Sparks is a knob? The guy has nothing much to say, and when he does it's like he's trying to be Barry White out there with his best DJ voice. Bring back Vince! Come to think of it, haven't seen Vince Cellini on TGC in a while. Is he still there?

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I believe Vince Cellini is no longer with TGC.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I believe Vince Cellini is no longer with TGC.

You're right; I found a Golfworld index on the web that had it listed that he left, but there was no link to the story to see where he went. He also isn't listed on TGC's website anymore.

To get back to the Big Break, anyone have any thoughts on the new host? As I've said before, I'm not a fan.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

You're right; I found a Golfworld index on the web that had it listed that he left, but there was no link to the story to see where he went. He also isn't listed on TGC's website anymore.

I dont like the new guy. He doesnt seem like the right fit for some reason. I cant put my finger no it though.

The problem with the new guy, is he hasn't done a single thing that displays any golf knowledge. It's like he's just the straight man to Stepanie Sparks.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

This is the first year that I have watch Big Break but I don't really like the guy. He just seems like a typical show host. He could be the next guy hosting Survivor, Fear Factor or The Price is Right. Nothing strikes me about him that he should be on TGC hosting anything to do with golf. I would love to know what his handicap is.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

> The problem with the new guy, is he hasn't done a single thing that displays any golf knowledge. It's like he's just the straight man to Stepanie Sparks.

In my opinion, this is NO different than Vince Cellini, who never added anything more insightful than "He really needs to make this putt to stay in contention."

Vince was a performer, an announcer - not a golf expert. This guy serves the same purpose. Stephanie does all the analysis, she's the one with a golf background.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

Note: This thread is 3716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!