IGNORED

Snell Golf Ball Member Reviews

Note: This thread is 2390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I gave up on hitting the K-Sig lottery and ordered 6 dozen of the MTB's last Friday.  I figure that should keep me stocked up for a year or more...  Just received my shipping notification that they'll arrive Friday - in time for a round or two this weekend.  I'm excited to try them out, although since everything in the bag will be new (posted elsewhere about this), it's going to be hard to isolate changes to one item or another...

• Upvote 1

:tmade: R11 9* Blur Stiff --- R11 14* 3w Blur Stiff --- Rescue 11 21* Aldila RIP Stiff :tmade: Tour Preferred CB 3i-6i --- MC 7i --- MB 8i-PW - Project X Flighted 6.0, custom lie and lofts :vokey: Oil Can 52.08 --- Oil Can 56.11 --- Oil Can 60.07 :cameron: 1996 Catalina - Custom specs made @ :titleist:

• 3 months later...

Just found a couple of these babies on my last round. They were lost near some small trees and not even blemished. I'm going to play them tomorrow.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

FWIW, I thought I'd post a 'review' of my recent experiences with the MTB. I've been looking for something with the performance, but not necessarily the cost, of some of the better 'Tour' balls and have been intrigued to try both the Vice and Snell balls.

Solid single-figure for years, hit my driver ~260ish, 5i ~185, 7i ~160 and PW ~130....when I hit them well. Normally use something like the Bridgestone B330S, Callaway Hex Chrome or similar. Like ProV1s when I find them!

Took a punt and bought a dozen MTBs to use for a while and have probably played them for ~10 rounds now on a mixture of UK parkland and links courses over the late Summer and early Autumn.

First impressions: Like the look of the ball out of the box. Brilliant white and dimple-pattern looks pretty sharp. Not sure about the 'Snell' logo and font, but not that bad. Have had a habit for decades of flicking unknown balls with a finger when I'm trying to get a feel for how hard a ball is and the MTB gave me a slightly higher-pitched sound than I was expecting, suggesting it's a little harder than I was hoping.

Off the tee: An outstanding ball to hit with a driver. Feels solid; really good. Launches at a nice height for me; pretty similar launch to the other balls I regularly use. Good distance; really good. Anecdotally, I'd say it's right up there with the longest balls I've hit, certainly of the 'Tour' category. Functions well into the wind, or fighting a cross-wind. In fact, surprisingly good boring through a typical cross-wind.

Fairway woods: Yep, pretty good. Solid, mid-launch and good distance again.

Long/mid irons: This is where I found the MTB to be a great fit for me. Superb. Long off the longer irons and I find the MTB launches noticeably higher for me than my other typical balls, above. Didn't get any noticeable ballooning though. Really impressed with it in this area.

Short irons: Again, noticeably higher launch than I typically get so good on that point. Into the greens, I'd say I get a 'hop-and-stop' kind of performance - good, but I'd normally want a little more action on a ball for these sort of shots. The best PW strikes into links greens, I could back up 12-18" or so. Less than I get with a ProV1, but OK.

Half shots/chipping: Performance here was good, but this is where I think the ball hardness is a little more than I'd like. Feels a little hard (for me) with these kind of shots. Not a major problem as it's not that bad.

Putting: Pretty good, but for me, again a little hard off the putter. Fixed that, as just purchased one of the newer Ping Sigma G putters!

Resilience: Excellent. Cover stood up to some very hard PW/52° wedge shots with only very light marking. The brilliant white didn't fade or yellow at all.

The take home message: Overall, this is an excellent ball and one I'll be looking to use into next season. The price point for the performance is outstanding, but there are alternatives such as the Vice Pro/Pro+ or more well-known offerings such as Wilson's FG Tour ball.

• Informative 1

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

On 10/7/2017 at 6:49 AM, Lihu said:

Just found a couple of these babies on my last round. They were lost near some small trees and not even blemished. I'm going to play them tomorrow.

Snell is good. About the same as the Pro-V1s and the Kirklands, maybe better? Really good ball, and I'd buy them once I run out of my Pro-V1.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 09/10/2017 at 12:48 PM, Lihu said:

Snell is good. About the same as the Pro-V1s and the Kirklands, maybe better? Really good ball, and I'd buy them once I run out of my Pro-V1.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd rate them better than the ProV1 and, for me, not quite as good as the current iteration of the V1. When you factor in cost though? Definitely worth playing the MTB.

• Like 1

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

1 minute ago, misty_mountainhop said:

Personally, I'm not sure I'd rate them better than the ProV1 and, for me, not quite as good as the current iteration of the V1. When you factor in cost though? Definitely worth playing the MTB.

Thanks, good to know. I have all older Pro-V1/x. I'll have to give the new ones a try before I buy other brands. I also like the B330S. Those balls feel nice off the tee as well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

Thanks, good to know. I have all older Pro-V1/x. I'll have to give the new ones a try before I buy other brands. I also like the B330S. Those balls feel nice off the tee as well.

Quite a bit of it is personal. I'd prefer a few more revs out of the MTB on pitches etc and it feels a little firm cf. what I like best. Not a deal breaker though. It's a good ball.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, misty_mountainhop said:

I would, because I don't like how much the Pro V1 spins. That's why, when I play the Pro V line, I play the V1x. It spins less on shorter shots.

And of course, we're talking about fractional stuff here… Most premium balls are within a very small window of performance.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I would, because I don't like how much the Pro V1 spins. That's why, when I play the Pro V line, I play the V1x. It spins less on shorter shots.

I agree with Erik on this. The MTB is more comparable to the Pro V1x. I find the MTB is a little more durable, though.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just throwing another shout out to the Snell "Get Sum." It just seems to suit my game.

6/doz for $85 makes it a no brainer.

Note: This thread is 2390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!