IGNORED

How To Improve My Handicap in 21 Days...

Note: This thread is 2720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I did a lot of practise yesterday, but sadly I did not find good sensations. It was not bad at all, but there were no really good strokes. Hope I find the right sensations before my next tournament...

I´m trying to feel a slight lateral shift of the pelvis to the left before the rotation of the the left hip around to the left, but I think a need a bit more practise in order to ingrane that feeling.

I also realised yesterday that in the first movements of my backswing, I´m putting the club too inside too soon, and when I was placing it more 'vertical' from the begining the shots were much better... Today I´m keep working in that direction.

My putt, was fantastic yesterday. Just trying to have a more athletic posture and the eyes exactly over the ball, and I did it really really well...

:nike:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds challenging. I have dropped a good 3 shots since Jan this year, and am finding it touch and go for drop two more I need by end of June. Has been covered in the posts already but two words for you - DRI-VER. Believe it or not, IMO it is the hardest but also improves the fastest.

Here's one paper napkin tip that has worked greatly and I think applies universally no matter what your priority piece is or what your overall technique is: Think 'soft' and 'quick' just before you hit your drives. In other words you need soft speed (swing fast without overpowering your muscles) for both control AND distance.

Happy hunting!!

Vishal S.

Sounds challenging. I have dropped a good 3 shots since Jan this year, and am finding it touch and go for drop two more I need by end of June. Has been covered in the posts already but two words for you - DRI-VER. Believe it or not, IMO it is the hardest but also improves the fastest.

Here's one paper napkin tip that has worked greatly and I think applies universally no matter what your priority piece is or what your overall technique is: Think 'soft' and 'quick' just before you hit your drives. In other words you need soft speed (swing fast without overpowering your muscles) for both control AND distance.

Happy hunting!!

Thank you!

Totally agree with you. Everybody seems to think that the 'short game' is the most important. At least, for me, it does not. With a bad driver game like mine, am struggling a lot to go under 18.

It sounds like what worked for you could help me too. I don´t understand exactly what yo mean with: soft and quick with the driver. Is starting the downswing slow and speed up when is close to the ball??

Thank you!

Totally agree with you. Everybody seems to think that the 'short game' is the most important. At least, for me, it does not. With a bad driver game like mine, am struggling a lot to go under 18.

It sounds like what worked for you could help me too. I don´t understand exactly what yo mean with: soft and quick with the driver. Is starting the downswing slow and speed up when is close to the ball??

Soft muscles and quick tempo.

And no, soft is not same as slow. Actually DO NOT think slow at all - it throws of tempo and chances are you will instinctively jump up on the ball at impact anyway - BAD. Soft means keeping your overall body muscle feel soft throughout the swing - a different way of saying - not to overload your muscles at any point in the swing. You can swing quicker with softer/lighter feel in your muscles AND you will be more in control. 'Light' also works instead of 'soft'.

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

And no, soft is not same as slow. Actually DO NOT think slow at all - it throws of tempo and chances are you will instinctively jump up on the ball at impact anyway - BAD. Soft means keeping your overall body muscle feel soft throughout the swing - a different way of saying - not to overload your muscles at any point in the swing. You can swing quicker with softer/lighter feel in your muscles AND you will be more in control. 'Light' also works instead of 'soft'.

Ok, willo have this feeling during my training time this afternoon.

And, your words saying that the driver improves the fastest, really encourages me.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GolfLug

Happy hunting!!

Thank you!

From what I see in this thread, everybody seems to be pointing towards your driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GolfLug

Ok, willo have this feeling during my training time this afternoon.

And, your words saying that the driver improves the fastest, really encourages me.

Thanks.

I'm not sure this is the case? It's your longest club and you have no target on the ground to aim at, for example, I need to aim at a dimple on the ball. Seems like one of the hardest clubs to learn to use well. Not really something you can do in 3 weeks. Most people think they get it many times, I suppose it could take a year at a minimum if you aren't just plain naturally gifted?

EDIT (the big question):

The other question I have is statistically you would need to play 5-10 rounds of your best golf to drop your handicap within that same 3 week period. Even if you play like 2 rounds a day for the last week, it would be nearly impossible to drop your handicap 2 strokes unless you already made a breakthrough, now, and are picking the fruits of your labor from the last year or so?

If you were a 30 handicap, I would say it's possible, but from an 19 down to a 17 is really hard.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I did a lot of practise yesterday, but sadly I did not find good sensations. It was not bad at all, but there were no really good strokes. Hope I find the right sensations before my next tournament... I´m trying to feel a slight lateral shift of the pelvis to the left before the rotation of the the left hip around to the left, but I think a need a bit more practise in order to ingrane that feeling.  I also realised yesterday that in the first movements of my backswing, I´m putting the club too inside too soon, and when I was placing it more 'vertical' from the begining the shots were much better... Today I´m keep working in that direction. My putt, was fantastic yesterday. Just trying to have a more athletic posture and the eyes exactly over the ball, and I did it really really well...

What are you practicing? Have you received any instruction from a qualified instructor, or are you pretty much trying things on your own? You're looking for a dramatic improvement, what are you doing over the next 3 weeks that is dramatically different from what you've done previously? Just trying random suggestions from a bunch of strangers on a golf forum isn't likely to accomplish much for you.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

What are you practicing? Have you received any instruction from a qualified instructor, or are you pretty much trying things on your own? You're looking for a dramatic improvement, what are you doing over the next 3 weeks that is dramatically different from what you've done previously?

Good question!

I´m think I´m changing my practise methods since I knew this site.

Yes, I have a professional golfer teaching me...but the most of the time, I´m learning by myself, reading and watching videos.

I change the picture, but it´s still not a dramatic change like you mention... I going to practise in order to improve my ball striking next weeks, and paying attention to my driver especially.

Hope it´s enough, but who knows.

Sometimes I don´t know if I´m in the right direction, but this happens many times while you are learning something new... It´s part of the process. I hope.

Good question! I´m think I´m changing my practise methods since I knew this site. Yes, I have a professional golfer teaching me...but the most of the time, I´m learning by myself, reading and watching videos. I change the picture, but it´s still not a dramatic change like you mention... I going to practise in order to improve my ball striking next weeks, and paying attention to my driver especially. Hope it´s enough, but who knows. Sometimes I don´t know if I´m in the right direction, but this happens many times while you are learning something new... It´s part of the process. I hope.

I think that is David's point.. You don't know if you are in the right direction as long as you are doing this on your own.. If you go to a qualified instructor he should be able to put you on the correct golf path of which you should see the greatest amount of improvement in the shortest time period. Until then it is just a crap shoot no?

• Upvote 1

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameson

Good question!

I´m think I´m changing my practise methods since I knew this site.

Yes, I have a professional golfer teaching me...but the most of the time, I´m learning by myself, reading and watching videos.

I change the picture, but it´s still not a dramatic change like you mention... I going to practise in order to improve my ball striking next weeks, and paying attention to my driver especially.

Hope it´s enough, but who knows.

Sometimes I don´t know if I´m in the right direction, but this happens many times while you are learning something new... It´s part of the process. I hope.

I think that is David's point.. You don't know if you are in the right direction as long as you are doing this on your own.. If you go to a qualified instructor he should be able to put you on the correct golf path of which you should see the greatest amount of improvement in the shortest time period. Until then it is just a crap shoot no?

This is so true, any improvements came only when my instructor(s) beat me over the head with a hammer. All other times, were just floundering around. Like now, I'm getting a lesson soon. . .Even though you might have more natural talent and youth than me, I'm sure you'll benefit from good lessons.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This is so true, any improvements came only when my instructor(s) beat me over the head with a hammer. All other times, were just floundering around. Like now, I'm getting a lesson soon. . .Even though you might have more natural talent and youth than me, I'm sure you'll benefit from good lessons.

I have a lesson in an hour, so I will tell you my impressions after. I know it´s tough to find a good teacher.....

Keep working!

EDIT (the big question): The other question I have is statistically you would need to play 5-10 rounds of your best golf to drop your handicap within that same 3 week period. Even if you play like 2 rounds a day for the last week, it would be nearly impossible to drop your handicap 2 strokes unless you already made a breakthrough, now, and are picking the fruits of your labor from the last year or so? If you were a 30 handicap, I would say it's possible, but from an 19 down to a 17 is really hard.

Not really. You're several strokes better than he is, but I'll wager that even you have a pretty big difference between the highest and lowest differentials in your low 10. 2 or 3 really good rounds to replace the highest differentials could/should easily do it for a 19 hcp. @Jameson , the calculations are easy. If you're not sure what you need to do, post your last 20 scores and differentials in order, and we can tell you pretty close to what you'll need to shoot over the next 3 weeks to hit your target....

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

[quote name="Lihu" url="/t/82195/how-to-improve-my-handicap-in-21-days/18#post_1146916"] EDIT (the big question): The other question I have is statistically you would need to play 5-10 rounds of your best golf to drop your handicap within that same 3 week period. Even if you play like 2 rounds a day for the last week, it would be nearly impossible to drop your handicap 2 strokes unless you already made a breakthrough, now, and are picking the fruits of your labor from the last year or so? If you were a 30 handicap, I would say it's possible, but from an 19 down to a 17 is really hard.

Not really. You're several strokes better than he is, but I'll wager that even you have a pretty big difference between the highest and lowest differentials in your low 10. 2 or 3 really good rounds to replace the highest differentials could/should easily do it for a 19 hcp. @Jameson , the calculations are easy. If you're not sure what you need to do, post your last 20 scores and differentials in order, and we can tell you pretty close to what you'll need to shoot over the next 3 weeks to hit your target....[/quote] I see. Makes sense. . .I was thinking too narrow minded.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

If I had two weeks to drop two strokes, I don't think I would practice at all. I would play. As others have said, you need several rounds below your average to get down. Or maybe you get hot for two days and go way below average and you are done. I think you have a far better chance of getting there if you approach the course differently and not worry about mechanics.

You could certainly try playing the tips to get a lower index for a given score, but if your driver is the problem this may hurt you more than it helps. In fact, my thinking is that if your problem is driving, maybe play the reds. Hit an iron off the tee and let your short game rake in the pars. The index for a certain score will be higher but if you don't have a club long enough and accurate enough to play your current tees, moving up may make a big difference in your handicap just to win the bet. Almost all of my lost shots are bad tee balls, if I played the reds I could hit a 5 iron off every tee and never be in trouble.

Matt E.

:srixon: Z745 (9.5°)

:touredge: XCG5 4 wood (16.5°)

:gigagolf: Turbo Power Z 7 wood (21°)

Louisville Golf Niblick 7 wood (24°)

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

:mizuno: MP69 PW (50°)

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

:edel: Putter

Jameson.  The more your 'head' stays in the swing, the less likely rapid change will happen,  IMO.  Thinking about instructor's advice, the diagrams in a book, the comments from a web site, all, yes all, will interfere with your progress over the 3 weeks.

If you were speaking of 3 years, i would not say this.  If you have been playing golf for more than 5 years, and are more than 30 yrs old, then what you got is highly ingrained, whether good, bad or indifferent.  But it's the swing you got and will keep for a long time.  Your best option is to maximize that swing by reducing mental interference.

In my case, maybe similar to yours, if my mind turns to ANYTHING but result (where do i want the ball to go) during the swing = shit and ugly happens.  Trying now to improve your driver or 3i skills will be a monumental waste of valuable time.  Accept the techniques you have and  improve the skills most likely to pay off and enhance your overall confidence by playing shots of comfort,  not those of heroic proportions.

Not really. You're several strokes better than he is, but I'll wager that even you have a pretty big difference between the highest and lowest differentials in your low 10. 2 or 3 really good rounds to replace the highest differentials could/should easily do it for a 19 hcp.

@Jameson, the calculations are easy. If you're not sure what you need to do, post your last 20 scores and differentials in order, and we can tell you pretty close to what you'll need to shoot over the next 3 weeks to hit your target....

Yeah. Lihu, IMO, your opinion was a little 'pesimistic'. I know is tough, but we are talking about droping 2 points on ha 19 handicap, not on a 5 handicap. I mean, it´s possible, and I don´t have to play 10 rounds of my best golf. Indeed, I only need one fantastic round in a tournament... Anyway, I get your point.

If I had two weeks to drop two strokes, I don't think I would practice at all. I would play. As others have said, you need several rounds below your average to get down. Or maybe you get hot for two days and go way below average and you are done. I think you have a far better chance of getting there if you approach the course differently and not worry about mechanics.

You could certainly try playing the tips to get a lower index for a given score, but if your driver is the problem this may hurt you more than it helps. In fact, my thinking is that if your problem is driving, maybe play the reds. Hit an iron off the tee and let your short game rake in the pars. The index for a certain score will be higher but if you don't have a club long enough and accurate enough to play your current tees, moving up may make a big difference in your handicap just to win the bet. Almost all of my lost shots are bad tee balls, if I played the reds I could hit a 5 iron off every tee and never be in trouble.

Aye. This is one thing I have in mind, not big changes, and play a lot. And yes, I will use the Drive only if is totally mandatory, and just on those holes with no risks. In my course, it´s going to be exactly 8 holes out of 18. Maybe 6. I have to think.

Jameson.  The more your 'head' stays in the swing, the less likely rapid change will happen,  IMO.  Thinking about instructor's advice, the diagrams in a book, the comments from a web site, all, yes all, will interfere with your progress over the 3 weeks.

If you were speaking of 3 years, i would not say this.  If you have been playing golf for more than 5 years, and are more than 30 yrs old, then what you got is highly ingrained, whether good, bad or indifferent.  But it's the swing you got and will keep for a long time.  Your best option is to maximize that swing by reducing mental interference.

In my case, maybe similar to yours, if my mind turns to ANYTHING but result (where do i want the ball to go) during the swing = shit and ugly happens.  Trying now to improve your driver or 3i skills will be a monumental waste of valuable time.  Accept the techniques you have and  improve the skills most likely to pay off and enhance your overall confidence by playing shots of comfort,  not those of heroic proportions.

I get the picture, and I agree the most. If I focus on the result, shit happens, that´s true. However, yesterday I had a lesson and I made the best drives of my life. They were not awesome, but enough to make me play, roghly 5 less strokes than I usually do. And that´s a lot...... I made 190 straight yards! Have to keep working on it a little more. My feelings with my drive yesterday were: more speed in the down swing (but not from exactly the top of my back swing, just a tiny bit after), wider stance and control my overswing . Feel like I´m doing a mid swing, and the reality was -amazing- that my shaft was almost paralel to the ground!!

Thanks everyone again for your support !! :dance:

My numbers of my last round, it were so bad, better to reach conclusions: (first colum, par, then strokes, the bold means the two holes where I got 2 extra points):

-

-

The two - where due to my driver. And my iron game this day was also bad, this is the reason why I did not make the par on any of the par 3...

Note: This thread is 2720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!