IGNORED

how far is your long game?

Note: This thread is 5904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. where are you after the 2nd stroke?

• on the green
    • a chip away (5-20 yards from green)
    • almost there (21-50 yards from green)
    • kind of close (51-80 yards from green)
    • i can clearly see the pin (81-120 yards from green)
    • pw,9 or 8 hmmmm (121-145)
    • is that the flag or a tree? (146-more yards from green)

I can get there in two with a well struck 300y drive and a 240y 3wood or 3 hybrid depending on the conditions. My max 3 wood off the fairway is about 260 so that gives me a 20y cushion on the drive.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently people don't like to read.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

Two good strokes will put me on easily, assuming they are good strokes.

I'm usually a bogey player on a par five. So I would say normally I will be there in three.
Rynofskie

In My Well-Used Highlander Bag:

Driver:Redline RPM 9.5* Driver - TourLaunch Blue Shaft Rescue: "The Ripper" wal-mart special 3HybridIrons: ADAMS GT500 Undercut Widesole 4-LWPutter: Ray Cook custom mallet putterGuns don't kill people - the proper application of sight alignment, target...

It's heartening to see that the grand tradition started in the "How Long Is Your Average Drive" thread continues here

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

Driver-3W or Hybrid- PW just off the green somewhere (short,long,left,right) chip on the green and 2 putt for 6 because my chip was 12-15 feet from the cup! Welcome to my world

"Golf's a hard game to figure. One day you'll go out and slice it and shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and , for no reason at all, you really stink." -- Bob Hope

Driver:TM 09 Burner
3 & 5 Wood: Callaway BB War Bird
Irons: TM R7 3-PWWedges:Maxfli...

It's heartening to see that the grand tradition started in the "How Long Is Your Average Drive" thread continues here

To quote a book I am writing - "I have painfully learned that a half truth while not a truth still has some truth..."

I'll give just about everyone credit that in theory, just about everyone could drive a par 5 in two shots, with two perfectly struck shots. Thing is, a perfectly struck shot is almost unheard of, even pros hit the ball sideways at times. So in theory yes, just about anyone can get home in two, but in practice it's almost never true. I've driven par 5's about a dozen times this year. But do you know how many par 5's I've played? I estimate 500.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Pretend your on a par 5 540 yards to pin.

I could get there or at least very close in two shots, a driver and a 2 iron hybrid. If it is like most of shorter par 5s I play, a hole like that usually has lots of trouble in front of and around the green. I would plan to have 105 yards to the pin, so I could hit my sand wedge.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

i would say i could get there with a driver, 3 wood. if trouble was in front of the green i would lay up obviously.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I consider this is a sucker type hole for me. If I try going for pure distance off the tee I'll often end up hitting the ball way into the woods and scoring bogey (or worse). I've gradually learned to back off... so more than likely I'll end up laying up.

I think I am starting to learn this whole course management thing:

On this situation, unless I was sure I could make it to the green, I would just put the ball 85-95 yards from the green (for an easy lob wedge in).

On every par 5 (and most par 4s), when I am more than 230 out I just take the yardage, and subtract 90 to decide what club to hit.
"There is no miracle tip. Fix your swing."

In the bag:
Sumo2 w/ Aldila VS Proto 60g S
Halo 2h Apex Pro 4-PW Vokey 2 52.08/56.10/60.04 Red X #3 34" Tour Deep

Amen. I love all the 15+ handicappers who can so easily reach this in 2. You would have to be hitting at least a 280 yard drive to even have a prayer (and even at 300 yards it takes a mighty strong 2nd shot), and it would have to end up in a place where you could actually hit a 3W from. I know darn few bogey golfers who could do that even here in Denver at a mile above sea level, much less anyplace in the lowlands. Even if they have the length off the tee, inconsistency would kill their chances at least 9 out of 10 times.

Me, I'm going to be in the 100-120 range... and that after my 260-270 yard drive. As mentioned earlier, I might have a crack at it if there was no trouble anywhere (and still be looking at at least a long chip or pitch), but I haven't seen that par 5 hole anyplace where I play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On a 540yrd par 5, if I hit two solid shots I'd be on the green. Usually that would be my Driver followed by my 2 iron. I don't have a 3 wood in my bag anymore as I hit my 2 iron almost as long and more accurately by far. Naturally if I'm playing like crap then I'd lay up. Also if there is considerable water protecting the green, then I'd most likely lay up to 80 yards and then use my lob wedge from there.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

• Administrator
Amen. I love all the 15+ handicappers who can so easily reach this in 2. You would have to be hitting at least a 280 yard drive to even have a prayer (and even at 300 yards it takes a mighty strong 2nd shot), and it would have to end up in a place where you could actually hit a 3W from.

I voted that I could get on. 285 + 255 (I'm assuming a little bouncing and rolling) and I'm there. I can do it.

But what's not asked is this: would you? On a wide open hole with no trouble, trees, sand, water, or green undulations... sure! On virtually any hole in the world? Nope. I'd probably hit a smooth driver, a 5-iron, and leave myself a good angle to attack the pin with a wedge. And most 15+ handicappers would take strokes off of their games if they would try to do the same thing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted I could get on. Driver at around 295 - 305 or so and a #3 hybrid and I could get on. There are so many variables to consider though so I would have to see the type of hole it was, if there was water or major trouble anywhere around the green, im putting a SW in my hand from about 90 out on my third shot without blinking.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I'm a high handicapper and I know I WOULD NOT be able to get there in 2. I wouldn't be able to use my driver cause I can't hit that very well. So I would be using a 3W off the tee. I'm lucky if I can get that to go 200 yards with a roll.

So, after 2 shots, I'll be about 120-150 yards from the green.

DRIVER - Tight Lies/Graphite/10°
3 WOOD - Sasquatch/Graphite/15°
5 WOOD - Tight Lies/Graphite/19°
IRONS - X-22/Steel/3-PWAW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/52°SW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/56°LW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/60°PUTTER - Black Series #2/34"

Note: This thread is 5904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!