IGNORED

Do you enter a score every single time you play?

SoundandFury
Note:Β This thread is 3216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. Do you enter your score for handicap every time you play?

• Yes
    • No

Lol. I try not to think about that particular round...however I'm actually playing that course tomorrow (for the first time since) with a client and I'm determined to have my revenge.

Ha, good luck!

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

Lol. I try not to think about that particular round...however I'm actually playing that course tomorrow (for the first time since) with a client and I'm determined to have my revenge.

I had a 102 in my last 20 at one of the toughest courses here. I played it again last week, determined to get my revenge. I posted an 85 and that included an 8 on the par 5 ninth. Pretty happy with the result.

I hope that you didn't post the 8.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I put in the hole by hole scoring and it automatically lowered it to a 7 and the total to 84. Differential was 11.1

Up until 18 months ago I belonged to a local club, and carried a 13 handicap. So, most rounds varied between low 80s to mid 90s. On occasion I would have a horrible round with maybe a 105. I didn't post these rare high rounds as I felt they didn't represent my ability and would be meaningless since they would never be included in the handicap calculations. Eventually though, the "Handicap Police" (handicap chairman) noticed I didn't post a round (another 100 plus score) and sent me a VERY nasty letter. You would have thought I was a murderer. And no matter how you try to explain it, you come out as the sandbagger, public enemy #1. I was pretty disgusted. But, lesson learned. I now post everything, even the hideous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I put in the hole by hole scoring and it automatically lowered it to a 7 and the total to 84. Differential was 11.1

Must be pretty time consuming to have to do this by hand in the pro shop?. . .we just enter front and back scores.

I also use GL to store all the comprehensive data and a separate spreadsheet to record all my rounds (regulation and practice).

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Must be pretty time consuming to have to do this by hand in the pro shop?. . .we just enter front and back scores. I also use GL to store all the comprehensive data and a separate spreadsheet to record all my rounds (regulation and practice).

No need to do it by hand in the pro shop. I can do it right from my phone. Ushandicap.com iPhone app. Just punch in the hole by hole score and hit submit. Or, make the ESC adjustments yourself and enter the total score for the round. You can do either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Must be pretty time consuming to have to do this by hand in the pro shop?. . .we just enter front and back scores.

I also use GL to store all the comprehensive data and a separate spreadsheet to record all my rounds (regulation and practice).

No need to do it by hand in the pro shop. I can do it right from my phone. Ushandicap.com iPhone app. Just punch in the hole by hole score and hit submit. Or, make the ESC adjustments yourself and enter the total score for the round. You can do either.

Yeah, I thought about that after posting, and even brought up the application. Still, GolfLogix is good for many other things. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Up until 18 months ago I belonged to a local club, and carried a 13 handicap. So, most rounds varied between low 80s to mid 90s. On occasion I would have a horrible round with maybe a 105. I didn't post these rare high rounds as I felt they didn't represent my ability and would be meaningless since they would never be included in the handicap calculations. Eventually though, the "Handicap Police" (handicap chairman) noticed I didn't post a round (another 100 plus score) and sent me a VERY nasty letter. You would have thought I was a murderer. And no matter how you try to explain it, you come out as the sandbagger, public enemy #1. I was pretty disgusted. But, lesson learned. I now post everything, even the hideous.

The reason you post every round, even ones you think are oddball, is because each one you post knocks the oldest one off the bottom of the list. Β Regardless of whether that 105 is ever used in the calculation, it still has a function in keeping your handicap current and up to date. Β Your handicap chairman was simply doing his job - we could only wish that every handicap committee would be as active.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Most times my practice rounds end up being when I go play one of the courses that have all you can golf with a cart for the cost of 18 and a cart after 1 or 2 pm. On those days I'm out there for 6 hours or so anyway and to me it's the ideal time to hit multiple balls from the tee and from different yardages. I'll usually play 18 for score and the other 27-36 holes for practice. The only other time a round turns into practice is only super slow days where if I don't take the time to hit extra shots I'll be sitting for 10 minutes or more between shots anyway. I do agree, however, that if you aren't getting out very often to play that using that time to practice is probably not the best idea. Right now I haven't been able to get out and play as much so I haven't even considered using a round as practice. I do go out and play a few holes before league to warm up without keeping score since there is no driving range at the course and there's no place close to warm up. I also agree with Erik that depending on your focus, you may be more inclined to practice more than play actual rounds of golf. Right now I'm focused on improving my game so practice means more to me than playing for scores.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

The reason you post every round, even ones you think are oddball, is because each one you post knocks the oldest one off the bottom of the list. Β Regardless of whether that 105 is ever used in the calculation, it still has a function in keeping your handicap current and up to date. Β Your handicap chairman was simply doing his job - we could only wish that every handicap committee would be as active.

Right. Β intentionally not posting high rounds because they "don't represent your ability," no matter how tempting it is, simply makes you a vanity-capper.

As far as people playing practice rounds is concerned - I get that, if you are actually practicing and hitting multiple balls, moving balls around, trying different lies, then by all means don't post that (because how could you anyway? ;)).

But I get the impression from some that they play a normal round with one ball but just "declare" before the round that its practice, so, therefore, don't post. Β That, I don't understand. Β If you played 18 holes and got a score, post the damn thing.

• Upvote 1

The reason you post every round, even ones you think are oddball, is because each one you post knocks the oldest one off the bottom of the list. Β Regardless of whether that 105 is ever used in the calculation, it still has a function in keeping your handicap current and up to date.

Right, just play the round and post the score. One bad round isn't going to make a huge difference one way or another.

But I get the impression from some that they play a normal round with one ball but just "declare" before the round that its practice, so, therefore, don't post. Β That, I don't understand. Β If you played 18 holes and got a score, post the damn thing.

Yeah the one ball "practice" round doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Just post the round.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Right. Β intentionally not posting high rounds because they "don't represent your ability," no matter how tempting it is, simply makes you a vanity-capper.

As far as people playing practice rounds is concerned - I get that, if you are actually practicing and hitting multiple balls, moving balls around, trying different lies, then by all means don't post that (because how could you anyway? ;)).

This just might be directed towards me. :whistle: So, I play so often that sometimes I play when I am too tired to swing properly, but go out there for the walk. That's why being a "member" is so great. However, I know this ahead of time, so it's not like hey I birdied three holes let's start scoring , or stop scoring if a regulation round goes badly. One time I played 18 holes in the morning and shot 77, then that same afternoon shot a 97 that was declared as a practice round. Why? Because I was really tired, but wanted to see if I could play 36 holes in a day and for that extra bit of exercise to walk off all the food I had eaten the day before.

BTW, not posting a round because it was going badly is not vanity capping, it's cheating. . .However, I can live with other people doing it.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This just might be directed towards me. So, I play so often that sometimes I play when I am too tired to swing properly, but go out there for the walk. That's why being a "member" is so great. However, I know this ahead of time, so it's not like hey I birdied three holes let's start scoring , or stop scoring if a regulation round goes badly. One time I played 18 holes in the morning and shot 77, then that same afternoon shot a 97 that was declared as a practice round. Why? Because I was really tired, but wanted to see if I could play 36 holes in a day and for that extra bit of exercise to walk off all the food I had eaten the day before.

BTW, not posting a round because it was going badly is not vanity capping, it's cheating. . .However, I can live with other people doing it.

If you purposely don't post a round that is high, that is not cheating at all. Β Cheating is something you do to gain an advantage, and there is no advantage gained in not posting a high score. Β Unless you have a side bet with friends regarding who has the lowest index at years end or something like that. Β Then you'd be cheating. ;)

And regarding your example, I think that you're on a slippery slope. Β It's fine this way because the score that didn't get posted is the high one, so at worst you're a vanity capper. Β No harm done there. Β But as often as you do this, there is bound to be some times where your "tired" round ends up with a better score than your "fresh" round, right?

Do you think that there are any people out there who you might compete against that WOULDN'T have a problem with your above example if the scores of the two rounds were reversed, declaration or not? Β Cuz I sure don't

My opinion is that at best, based on your explanations, you are a vanity-capper, and at worst, you are INADVERTENTLY (all caps there because I don't mean to offend because I know its not intentional) a sand bagger.

My 2 cents, at least.

Easy solution for you, I think, would be to stop keeping score in those "declared" practice rounds and to also break other rules. Β Don't putt, or move the ball, hit multiple balls, whatever. Β Just don't play 18 holes with one ball and keep score and then pretend it didn't happen. :beer:

A sandbagger is someone who: Hits 6, yells 4, and, writes down 5.

Hits 4, writes down a 5.

And regarding your example, I think that you're on a slippery slope. Β It's fine this way because the score that didn't get posted is the high one, so at worst you're a vanity capper. Β No harm done there. Β But as often as you do this, there is bound to be some times where your "tired" round ends up with a better score than your "fresh" round, right?

Do you think that there are any people out there who you might compete against that WOULDN'T have a problem with your above example if the scores of the two rounds were reversed, declaration or not? Β Cuz I sure don't

My opinion is that at best, based on your explanations, you are a vanity-capper, and at worst, you are INADVERTENTLY (all caps there because I don't mean to offend because I know its not intentional) a sand bagger.

My 2 cents, at least.

Easy solution for you, I think, would be to stop keeping score in those "declared" practice rounds and to also break other rules. Β Don't putt, or move the ball, hit multiple balls, whatever. Β Just don't play 18 holes with one ball and keep score and then pretend it didn't happen.

Yeah, this bothered me on a 79 I shot on a practice round. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Hits 4, writes down a 5.

LOL, you're right, he got that backwards. :beer:

Easy solution is to just post 100% of the rounds that you score.

Untill then, look at it this way: Β You do it so often and randomly enough that it probably all evens out in the end anyway. :beer: That 79 and the 97 in your previous example cancel each other out. ;)

Quote:

Hits 4, writes down a 5.

LOL, you're right, he got that backwards.

Quote:

Easy solution is to just post 100% of the rounds that you score.

Untill then, look at it this way: Β You do it so often and randomly enough that it probably all evens out in the end anyway.Β Β Β That 79 and the 97 in your previous example cancel each other out. ;)

Cool, glad that satisfies the hungry masses. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I had a 102 in my last 20 at one of the toughest courses here. I played it again last week, determined to get my revenge. I posted an 85 and that included an 8 on the par 5 ninth. Pretty happy with the result.

79 with a triple. Suck it Angeles National.

Note:Β This thread is 3216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!