IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Moppy why are you still engaging in this red herring argument? There is no "undercurrent" of people saying he had it coming.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut View Post

You obviously had many chances to wave them through or else they wouldn't have hit into you out of frustration on the 18th hole.   Why not be pro-active to avoid the inevitable?  My 2 cents...

Just sayin.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

You obviously had many chances to wave them through or else they wouldn't have hit into you out of frustration on the 18th hole.   Why not be pro-active to avoid the inevitable?  My 2 cents...

Just sayin.

One person making a comment like that doesn't make an "undercurrent".

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

No one that could hit into an 18 HC that I know would. I have not met any single digit or low teen players that are mean spirited enough to do such a thing. . .

I don't doubt you for a minute, but there is an undercurrent of "he had it coming" on this thread is all I am saying and all the OP is saying. Personally, when I am walking alone and I hear a couple of carts doing the NASCAR thing coming up behind me, I let them play through, it only takes a couple of minutes and there is no way I am going to outrun a twosome riding, especially when each has their own cart, as happened a couple of weeks ago, one of them had his girlfriend riding, while I am walking. But if they caught me on the 18th tee, I would not make the pointless gesture of letting them play through.

Yeah, I certainly can't disagree with this. :scared:

If I had to guess, some of the posters are probably just daydreaming. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

One person making a comment like that doesn't make an "undercurrent".

Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post

Or you could have let them play through if the course was open ahead of you as well, avoiding any possible confrontation and resulting in a happy ending for all parties involved

From the first page. I am not going to keep searching for you for stuff you don't want to see.

Originally Posted by Pretzel

Or you could have let them play through if the course was open ahead of you as well, avoiding any possible confrontation and resulting in a happy ending for all parties involved

From the first page. I am not going to keep searching for you for stuff you don't want to see.

That's a common sense response, he wasn't saying that it was ok to be hit into. He was saying that holding others up could lead to confrontation of some sort and that the best practice is to just let faster players go through. I seriously doubt anyone here thinks it's ok to hit into people to make a point of slow play.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Ok Moppy lets make a deal. You win if you can find objectively more of these "undercurrent" posts than we can find posts where someone says that "hitting into someone is never ok."

Ok Moppy lets make a deal. You win if you can find objectively more of these "undercurrent" posts than we can find posts where someone says that "hitting into someone is never ok."

My two cents. Hitting into someone is never OK.

Bill M

Maybe you should go to the dictionary and look up the word "undercurrent."

That's a common sense response, he wasn't saying that it was ok to be hit into. He was saying that holding others up could lead to confrontation of some sort and that the best practice is to just let faster players go through. I seriously doubt anyone here thinks it's ok to hit into people to make a point of slow play.

"That's a common sense response." Let people through and you won't get hit into... I get it. No veiled threat there at all.

Honestly I don't care. It is never crowded at my course and I am never in such a hurry that I won't let somebody through. I just think that there is a sense that the faster player can never be wrong. Whatever. I am going to shut off notifications on this thread and you guys can go ahead and pretend whatever you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff McGee

Maybe you should go to the dictionary and look up the word "undercurrent."

The only reason, and this is really a big qualifier, is that I need to lookup almost everything people state as I'm not all that great with English (or even my native languages) so I did look it up.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/undercurrent

un·der·cur·rent

ˈəndərˌkərənt/

noun

noun: undercurrent; plural noun: undercurrents

an underlying feeling or influence, especially one that is contrary to the prevailing atmosphere and is not expressed openly.

"an undercurrent of anger and discontent"

synonyms:

undertone, overtone, suggestion, connotation, intimation, hint, nuance, trace, suspicion, whisper, tinge; More

feeling, atmosphere, aura, echo;

informalvibes

"the undercurrent of despair in his words"

a current of water below the surface, moving in a different direction from any surface current.

synonyms:undertow, underflow;

riptide

"dangerous undercurrents in the cove"

So, no one explicitly posted this, but I guess someone sensitive enough to this topic could get this feeling.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If I stop notifications and get the last word that must mean I am right even though I am outnumbered 20 to 1 which means I am obviously not understanding what everyone else is.....

"That's a common sense response." Let people through and you won't get hit into... I get it. No veiled threat there at all.

Honestly I don't care. It is never crowded at my course and I am never in such a hurry that I won't let somebody through. I just think that there is a sense that the faster player can never be wrong. Whatever. I am going to shut off notifications on this thread and you guys can go ahead and pretend whatever you want.

No, it wasn't a "you won't get hit into" you keep assuming that is the only thing that could possibly happen by holding people up. You are the only one here who thinks that. Confrontation covers a lot of possible outcomes.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

Nobody said anything like that.  You let the faster players go through to avoid any risk of frustrating them to the point of maybe doing something stupid.

And even more so because you're a sensible human being who understands and embraces the principles of etiquette and respect for other players that the game of golf espouses.  It shouldn't require a threat to show such respect.

• Upvote 3

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I don't doubt you for a minute, but there is an undercurrent of "he had it coming" on this thread is all I am saying and all the OP is saying. Personally, when I am walking alone and I hear a couple of carts doing the NASCAR thing coming up behind me, I let them play through, it only takes a couple of minutes and there is no way I am going to outrun a twosome riding, especially when each has their own cart, as happened a couple of weeks ago, one of them had his girlfriend riding, while I am walking. But if they caught me on the 18th tee, I would not make the pointless gesture of letting them play through.

It was subtle / sparse, but I picked up on it too.

Moppy why are you still engaging in this red herring argument? There is no "undercurrent" of people saying he had it coming.

He's not alone.

No, it wasn't a "you won't get hit into" you keep assuming that is the only thing that could possibly happen by holding people up. You are the only one here who thinks that. Confrontation covers a lot of possible outcomes.

Rather than a potential confrontation it should be a potential social exchange.

Group playing at their own pace with space in front is approached by someone from fast group who catches them as they are prepping to tee off on the next hole: "Can we play through on the next hole?" says the courteous trailing group golfer. "Sure thing, why not play through on this one. Enjoy your round." says the courteous leading group golfer. Everyone is happy because they get to play their own pace and no one has been disrespectful or jerkish.

If this procedure significantly slows the 'fast' group such that a following group would catch them up then they are not really playing that fast. If a group is skipping putts on multiple holes just to keep pace with me, I won't necessarily just voluntarily wait & step aside to let them barrel through because I don't know what they are up to. Clearly it's not playing golf. Absent an emissary with an explanation I will play on. Particularly when it is obvious that there is a group in front of me that I am keeping pace with. When I have been behind another group that was slower, I never assumed they would just get out of the way. I always expected to ask.

Personally, I play about the same fast or slow. Good practice either way. An open course is a chance to work on more 'instinctive' feel and go shots, while a slow group is a chance to think more about strategy or read my putts more closely, or play multiple balls if a practice round (same on open course if no one is behind). Except that I may rush to my detriment if playing through so I get out of the other group's way as quick as I can to show my gratitude.

Kevin

It doesn't matter whether like 2 posters hinted that MAYBE he was asking for it when we have about 20 saying there is never any excuse for hitting into anybody. It is a red herring topic.

It was subtle / sparse, but I picked up on it too.

He's not alone.

Rather than a potential confrontation it should be a potential social exchange.

Group playing at their own pace with space in front is approached by someone from fast group who catches them as they are prepping to tee off on the next hole: "Can we play through on the next hole?" says the courteous trailing group golfer. "Sure thing, why not play through on this one. Enjoy your round." says the courteous leading group golfer. Everyone is happy because they get to play their own pace and no one has been disrespectful or jerkish.

If this procedure significantly slows the 'fast' group such that a following group would catch them up then they are not really playing that fast. If a group is skipping putts on multiple holes just to keep pace with me, I won't necessarily just voluntarily wait & step aside to let them barrel through because I don't know what they are up to. Clearly it's not playing golf. Absent an emissary with an explanation I will play on. Particularly when it is obvious that there is a group in front of me that I am keeping pace with. When I have been behind another group that was slower, I never assumed they would just get out of the way. I always expected to ask.

Personally, I play about the same fast or slow. Good practice either way. An open course is a chance to work on more 'instinctive' feel and go shots, while a slow group is a chance to think more about strategy or read my putts more closely, or play multiple balls if a practice round (same on open course if no one is behind). Except that I may rush to my detriment if playing through so I get out of the other group's way as quick as I can to show my gratitude.

It should be a polite exchange, no doubt. But when the person in front is rushing to stay ahead you may not get that chance for a pleasant exchange. It's happened to me several times this year. Instead of having an opportunity to ask to play through, the people rush off the tee as I pull up so they can't be bothered to invite or be asked to play through. Most times people are nice, but in instances where they aren't there could be a less than civil exchange aka "confrontation".

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Nobody said anything like that.  You let the faster players go through to avoid any risk of frustrating them to the point of maybe doing something stupid.

And even more so because you're a sensible human being who understands and embraces the principles of etiquette and respect for other players that the game of golf espouses.  It shouldn't require a threat to show such respect.

Well said...................

My thoughts exactly.  This was the point of my earlier post that some people took the wrong way.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!