IGNORED

Killing Endangered Animals for Sport? Good Idea?

Abu3baid
Note: This thread is 3183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you support killing animals for glory only?

• Yes
    • No

Can we agree that if what the dentist did was wrong that maybe it does not rise to the the level of wrongness that he should be globally shamed across the internet because there is a picture? Is full blown social media mob rule now our culture?

Maybe, at what point would you say that the level of wrongness is worth it if ever? What if it was the last lion in the world that he killed would you feel differently? I guess to the people that feel strongly about the subject the best they can do is try and shame this guy and others like him to support their cause.. (Amongst other things).. I for example will not go on any face book and support anything or write my rep or start a petition... I started a thread on a relatively small forum just to discuss.. What others have done like send him hate mail and threats is just beyond me.. I think the last question deserves its own thread though..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it "wrong" when this gets way more publicity than the killing of another human being.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Can we agree that if what the dentist did was wrong that maybe it does not rise to the the level of wrongness that he should be globally shamed across the internet because there is a picture? Is full blown social media mob rule now our culture?

Ask Tiger. :-)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

I find it "wrong" when this gets way more publicity than the killing of another human being.

I know what you're saying, but at the same time… you're saying this on a discussion forum dedicated to talking about a game…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="14ledo81" url="/t/83520/killing-endangered-animals-for-sport-good-idea/126#post_1180064"]   I find it "wrong" when this gets way more publicity than the killing of another human being. [/QUOTE] I know what you're saying, but at the same time… you're saying this on a discussion forum dedicated to talking about a game…

I get it, and I didn't mean the publicity on here. Looking at it that way, I'm guilty of it as well....

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

[SIZE=16px][U][URL=http://news.yahoo.com/florida-home-dentist-killed-zimbabwe-lion-vandalized-151519800.html][COLOR=0000CD]Dentist House Vandalized[/COLOR][/URL][/U][/SIZE] People taking things too far now.. IMO.

I'm sure he's "deeply regretting" it by now. :-X

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

A philosophical question: Why?

In a lot of ways it far exceeds the cruelty and bloodlust of many murders. It is incomprehensible behaviour by any standard.

I am sure that a hunter like yourself would see this fellow as someone who tarnishes the reputation of all hunters and give you all a bad name/

Logically, you should be more outraged than most, given that what you see as "sport" is for so many the stuff of nightmares.

Ethical hunters should be glad that he is being globally shamed because it gives them the opportunity to say what hunting is really about in a way that can at least make anti-hunters acknowledge that it isn't all bad.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

In a lot of ways it far exceeds the cruelty and bloodlust of many murders. It is incomprehensible behaviour by any standard.

I am sure that a hunter like yourself would see this fellow as someone who tarnishes the reputation of all hunters and give you all a bad name/

Logically, you should be more outraged than most, given that what you see as "sport" is for so many the stuff of nightmares.

Ethical hunters should be glad that he is being globally shamed because it gives them the opportunity to say what hunting is really about in a way that can at least make anti-hunters acknowledge that it isn't all bad.

A simple answer to the first question.  I hold human life at a much, much higher value than animal life.

I have not ever defended the hunter in this thread, just simply tried to defend hunting itself.  I do agree that these types give hunting a bad name (if the reports are true), and am happy that he is being shamed.  I do feel I was able to make a few points about the "good" side of hunting as well.

At the end of the day though, it is (IMO) still "just" hunting and still "just" an animal.  Pales in comparison to the loss of human life.  My main point was that I find it sad that some people (not pointing fingers at anyone), will be outraged over the death of an animal, but have less concern when humans are killed.

As Erik pointed out earlier, this is a forum to talk about a "game".  I realize this is not really the place for this discussion.

-Matt-

Attention is only given to people who have value to the masses, just like this lion was to the people who visited the park and of Zimbabwe. The animal was tricked and senselessly killed by a sleazy above the law individual which draws even more fury.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

My main point was that I find it sad that some people (not pointing fingers at anyone), will be outraged over the death of an animal, but have less concern when humans are killed.

Whoa, whoa, whoa ... back up a second.  Do you really believe that?  Come on.  That's an absurd statement to make and you make it based on the fact that we find it an interesting topic to debate.

You know why we don't find discussing humans killed as an interesting debate??  Because it's not a debate.  NOBODY thinks its OK!!!

The amount that people are interested in discussing a specific topic in no way has any bearing on the relative importance of that topic to other things in life.  Otherwise, I could say with equal amount of validity as you that:

"I find it sad that some people are so obsessed with a game that they talk about it all day with strangers and they don't talk about what books their child is reading."  (Or something along those lines.)

A simple answer to the first question.  I hold human life at a much, much higher value than animal life.

I have not ever defended the hunter in this thread, just simply tried to defend hunting itself.  I do agree that these types give hunting a bad name (if the reports are true), and am happy that he is being shamed.  I do feel I was able to make a few points about the "good" side of hunting as well.

At the end of the day though, it is (IMO) still "just" hunting and still "just" an animal.  Pales in comparison to the loss of human life.  My main point was that I find it sad that some people (not pointing fingers at anyone), will be outraged over the death of an animal, but have less concern when humans are killed.

As Erik pointed out earlier, this is a forum to talk about a "game".  I realize this is not really the place for this discussion.

I think the difference is that it may no longer be "just an animal". I've done some reading recently and seen that approximately 600 lions are killed for sport on average a year. Estimates say that maybe 25-35k are left in the world. They used to be common in Eurasia, and even the American Great Plains once, but now are in a small part of sub-Saharan Africa. In 50 years, due to poaching, land development, and big game hunting, several species of great beasts may become extinct and it absolutely doesn't have to be that way. I think the attitude that humans are exceptional and more valuable than mere animals could help contribute to that apathy. Will this discussion sway the minds of poachers in Kenya and Uganda? Certainly not. Will I get by in life if no rhinos exist on earth any more? Sure. It just feels awful that the human race can't reach a collective consensus and be better stewards of the glorious world we have the pleasure of living on. We surely can't protect every species, but it would seem strange to me that rhinos, tigers, lions, gorillas, and whatever else would go extinct because we can't stop big game hunting and poaching from happening. I value human life very much, but I tell you what - I'd be infinitely more upset to read tomorrow that the last male Northern White Rhino on earth was shot and killed by some putz to sell the horn than if a car full of drug dealers went driving off a cliff.

This is a forum about golf and not social issues, but it clearly shows that certain golfers have deep feelings about more important issues. Isn't that a good thing? If we are having a good discussion, who cares if it takes place in a golf forum, on the CNN message board, or at a bar at 3 AM? I think we are safe discussing this topic here until the discourse gets totally incendiary. I hope the moderators choose not to close it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

It's a difference of perspective.   There are 7.3 billion of humans on earth, and the number is increasing rapidly.   Millions die, get killed every day and there isn't much we can do.   There are 20000 - 25000 of these majestic animals left.   Humans can stop the trophy killing of these animals for our future generations to admire & enjoy, in their natural habitat.   Killing it the way the dentist did for putting the animal's head on his wall ... it deserves all the outcry its getting.   I am hoping things will change b/c of the attention this incident has gotten.   That is .... from my perspective.

One more thing ... it's our arrogance of putting human lives (or pleasure, wealth, ...) over animals which led to extinction of so many of them.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

My main point was that I find it sad that some people (not pointing fingers at anyone), will be outraged over the death of an animal, but have less concern when humans are killed.

Whoa, whoa, whoa ... back up a second.  Do you really believe that?  Come on.  That's an absurd statement to make and you make it based on the fact that we find it an interesting topic to debate.

You know why we don't find discussing humans killed as an interesting debate??  Because it's not a debate.  NOBODY thinks its OK!!!

The amount that people are interested in discussing a specific topic in no way has any bearing on the relative importance of that topic to other things in life.  Otherwise, I could say with equal amount of validity as you that:

"I find it sad that some people are so obsessed with a game that they talk about it all day with strangers and they don't talk about what books their child is reading."  (Or something along those lines.)

Maybe I do really believe that.  I hope its not true.  I also do not base my opinion on anything discussed here.  That was certainly not my point.  I was referring to the larger media outlets.

Your last point is very valid.  I suppose if I am so "outraged" I could always post (daily) items about humans being killed.....

-Matt-

Maybe I do really believe that.  I hope its not true.  I also do not base my opinion on anything discussed here.  That was certainly not my point.  I was referring to the larger media outlets.

Your last point is very valid.  I suppose if I am so "outraged" I could always post (daily) items about humans being killed.....

. . .>99.9% of the time by other humans, but there would still be outrage.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 2 weeks later...

More News <-- Link

Quote:
Hwange (Zimbabwe) (AFP) - The owner of the land in western Zimbabwe where Cecil the lion was killed appeared in court Tuesday on charges of allowing an illegal hunt.

I'll wait and see what happens, but I have a feeling that this will all just go under the rug.. I hope I'm wrong.

Quote:
Zimbabwe has asked the United States to extradite Palmer to face charges over the hunt.

Good.. although I doubt the US government will do such a thing.

The below is funny..  Yeah Zimbabwe, I'm sure you guys are real serious about regulating hunting in your country.. Knee Jerk reaction to the news, and then just as fast as the restriction were implemented they are lifted..

Quote:
Zimbabwe introduced strict hunting restrictions earlier this month in the wake of the killing, but lifted most of them last week.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Note: This thread is 3183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!