IGNORED

Why all the testosterone?

daa1969
Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff McGee

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavvySwede

@Duff McGeejust go on Google maps and use the distance measurement tool. If the hole is straight it is probably within 15 yards of what is on the card. I have no doubt you can hit 300+ with firm fairways, I had one go 346 earlier this year on a pretty baked course.

That's why I don't understand Lihu right now. A 300 yard drive is far from normal for me and I need a good roll, but it's not like it's impossible.

I believe what you stated above, but not this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff McGee

I don't really understand the hatred for distance markers on the course. They have always proven to be very accurate for me on most courses. I know this because my shot is very different for my 90, 100, 110, etc. obviously and I can't really remember a time where I've cursed a yardage marker for hitting over a green or 20 yards short of the green.

So if you are saying that many of my 300+ yard drives I've hit in my life where I've been able to hit iron on my second shot to the green were not real, then I don't know what to tell you.

. . .because that would take a higher swing speed.

Not really. If you fiddle around with flightscope trajectory optimizer you can get close to 300 with only 150mph ball speed. A smash factor close to 1.5 leaves you needing only l00-102mph swing speed. Downwind or firm fairways can push you even farther.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not really. If you fiddle around with flightscope trajectory optimizer you can get close to 300 with only 150mph ball speed. A smash factor close to 1.5 leaves you needing only l00-102mph swing speed. Downwind or firm fairways can push you even farther.

I'm not denying that he can do it, I've done it too. What I was wondering is how he can do it many times which I interpreted as the majority of the time, but that was already cleared up by @Duff McGee

BTW, a SF of 1.5 for a double digit player is also extremely good.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Average bad drive... 275 yards.... So your average Good drive is......? Think about that for a minute....and then go read the PGA Tour driving distances...

305. He already claimed that in an earlier post.

What about launch monitors? Accurate?

Depends on what type of monitor were taking about. The kind at GolfSmith that are set up in an effort to sell you clubs, hell no. A FlightScope or TrackMan with a trained instructor, I'd say yes.

People, unless your close to a scratch golfer, why do you insist on playing from the back tees? If you wanna improve your score and have more fun, just move up! My average bad drive still goes like 275 and i play forward, i see it all the time, most of the time if your even lucky enough to reach the fairway, its pretty crooked anyway, would you rather hit driver, 3wood, than 40 yard pitch, or driver, 6 iron, at worse little chip? Maybe its just me but it seems really stupid to set yourself up for failure right from the start!

"Back Tees" is a relevant term because whether it matters or not depends on the course.   Is it a typical MUNI that plays 6000-6500 from the back tees?   If so,then I don't see any problem with a "bogey" golfer playing the tips because it's a short course.  If the tips are 7000+...............different situation!!

My answer whether or not it matters?.....................it depends!! ;-)

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Depends on what type of monitor were taking about. The kind at GolfSmith that are set up in an effort to sell you clubs, hell no. A FlightScope or TrackMan with a trained instructor, I'd say yes.

What about launch monitors? Accurate? What if they generally line up with what you see at the course? It seems highly unlikely that every launch monitor I have hit on would say my swing speed is around 102 to 108 and put my shots at the same distance and the markets and scorecards all line up....what a conspiracy that would be lol. But seriously, on the monitors I hit everything between 260 and 285 with an outlier over 300 about every 15 swings and an odd 220 mishit here and there

So if you are saying that many of my 300+ yard drives I've hit in my life where I've been able to hit iron on my second shot to the green were not real, then I don't know what to tell you.

I don't understand why you would think "many times" means the majority......but no problem.

English is not my first language, so I never discount that I could have misinterpreted the words.

I assumed you meant that you hit more than just a few because of all the 300 yard drives you hit, that many of them you are able to hit an iron on your second shot.

Again, not trying to mince your words, just a probable communication error on my part.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Ok, im back, 1st of all let me say i apologize for so many taking my original post examples to heart, it was merely meant to be just that, an example. Now, i have shown you my launch monitor numbers without my driver, just with a club i picked up off the shelf, along with the fact that im at about 3000 ft above sea level in the high desert with very firm conditions, they put my smash factor at 1.46 now the part most dont seem to get, when i say its my average i feel pretty confident in that because there are only 8 holes on my course in which i can even hit driver, those are where space is sufficient, most people i play with there will use driver on like 14, so you see, my average is coming from 6 less drives than most would have to calculate in, i hit a fairly high draw, and honestly theres not much trouble to get in on those holes, and we all know know it doesnt have to be in the fairway to count. Too many people feel distance goes hand in hand with hndcp, i assure this is false, i played today and shot 84, with 41 putts! So you see, my overall game is ok, my distance is good, but my hndcp is my putting! We need to stop looking at charts and such to determine how well someone plays or should play, i am living proof of that and im sure a great number of you will agree thats true for your game too! Now, maybe we can back on track here and hear from anyone who has tried to play it forward and what success they may have had.

What about launch monitors? Accurate? What if they generally line up with what you see at the course? It seems highly unlikely that every launch monitor I have hit on would say my swing speed is around 102 to 108 and put my shots at the same distance and the markets and scorecards all line up....what a conspiracy that would be lol. But seriously, on the monitors I hit everything between 260 and 285 with an outlier over 300 about every 15 swings and an odd 220 mishit here and there

[quote name="Lihu" url="/t/83727/why-all-the-testosterone/210#post_1183622"] English is not my first language, so I never discount that I could have misinterpreted the words. I assumed you meant that you hit more than just a few because of all the 300 yard drives you hit, that many of them you are able to hit an iron on your second shot. Again, not trying to mince your words, just a probable communication error on my part. [/quote] I'm not trying to confuse you but I have hit many and not just a few. But that doesn't have to mean majority or even close to it. For example, every few rounds I am putting for eagle at least once. I don't hit my 3 wood off the deck very often and only hit irons and my longest iron is a 4 iron and that is my 200 yard club. So either I only play courses with par 5's well under 500 yards or that means I hit more than a few drives over 300 yards per year. Still, as a percentage of my overall drives, I might only hit it 300+ like 5% of the time

Now, maybe we can back on track here and hear from anyone who has tried to play it forward and what success they may have had.

Glad you didn't leave. . . :-)

There are two 18 hole courses at the my home course(s). One is 6000 yards from the tips and the other is 7400 yards. If I play the 6800 yard tees on the longer course and compare my results to the 6000 yard course, I score roughly the same .

I generally play in cooler wetter early morning conditions at about 600 feet above sea level so my drives range from 220 to 270 yards mostly due to mishits (even less if I hit a tree and it bounces back, and an occasional freakishly long one). I carry my 5i about 180 yards +5/-15 yards depending upon the strike.

The 7400 yard tees would add about 4 strokes on 4 specific holes. The rest are maybe a club up or two, which wouldn't really hurt my game as I only hit 6-7 greens on average anyway. Not sure how I would score at 5800 yards at this point? I would imagine the same?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

All my rounds are usually during the highest heat of the day where the ground is as scorched as it can get. I'm sure I would rarely hit a 300 yard drive, if ever, if I was playing first thing in the morning dew.

Ok, im back, 1st of all let me say i apologize for so many taking my original post examples to heart, it was merely meant to be just that, an example. Now, i have shown you my launch monitor numbers without my driver, just with a club i picked up off the shelf, along with the fact that im at about 3000 ft above sea level in the high desert with very firm conditions, they put my smash factor at 1.46 now the part most dont seem to get, when i say its my average i feel pretty confident in that because there are only 8 holes on my course in which i can even hit driver, those are where space is sufficient, most people i play with there will use driver on like 14, so you see, my average is coming from 6 less drives than most would have to calculate in, i hit a fairly high draw, and honestly theres not much trouble to get in on those holes, and we all know know it doesnt have to be in the fairway to count. Too many people feel distance goes hand in hand with hndcp, i assure this is false, i played today and shot 84, with 41 putts! So you see, my overall game is ok, my distance is good, but my hndcp is my putting! We need to stop looking at charts and such to determine how well someone plays or should play, i am living proof of that and im sure a great number of you will agree thats true for your game too! Now, maybe we can back on track here and hear from anyone who has tried to play it forward and what success they may have had.

To be fair, how did you "prove" this? I'm a lawyer so I am very sensitive to this word. :)

I have a question for everyone? There are some on this site that insist im wrong, but im having a hard time believing. I say the ball starts on the path you swing and direction is determined by the face, they are trying to tell me im completely wrong. I said but a draw, not a hook or pull, a perfect hit draw comes from an in to out path with the face closed to that path, a fade would be out to in with face open to path, the push would be in to out with face square to path, push slice in to out with open face, pull is out to in with face square to path, slice is out to in with open face, and a hook is face way too closed with any swing path, have i lost my mind cuz theyre insisting im wrong, theyre trying to say its only the face that matters and worse part is they say the slice is out to in with closed face, why then are we taught than in bunker or flop shot we aim left, open face, and swing left? I feel like im in a twilight zone!

You are absolutely correct that teeing forward usually helps.

On unfamiliar courses I usually start off on the more forward tees, then "graduate" to the longer tees once I know the course better. However, if I am on a course(s) I've played over a hundred times in the last year, I can safely say that I tried all the tees multiple times.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I have a question for everyone? There are some on this site that insist im wrong, but im having a hard time believing. I say the ball starts on the path you swing and direction is determined by the face, they are trying to tell me im completely wrong. I said but a draw, not a hook or pull, a perfect hit draw comes from an in to out path with the face closed to that path, a fade would be out to in with face open to path, the push would be in to out with face square to path, push slice in to out with open face, pull is out to in with face square to path, slice is out to in with open face, and a hook is face way too closed with any swing path, have i lost my mind cuz theyre insisting im wrong, theyre trying to say its only the face that matters and worse part is they say the slice is out to in with closed face, why then are we taught than in bunker or flop shot we aim left, open face, and swing left? I feel like im in a twilight zone!

Why bring something completely off-topic into another thread?  It's bad enough that we've gone 13 pages just for somebody to try to convince a bunch of people on the internet that they can hit a 300-yard drive once in a while.  Big deal.  My average drive is around 230 yards, but occasionally I hit a 300-yarder too...on a downhill fairway with the wind behind me, when I catch it right on the sweet spot and the fairway is hard as asphalt.  I don't see what difference it makes to anything that somebody can once in a while catch it on the screws and hit it 300 yards.  I don't need launch monitors, Game Golf profiles, GPS screens or anything else to tell me that.  I guess the only thing it has to do with the OP is the word "testosterone".

None of this has anything to do with the original topic.  Nor do ball flight laws, which are being discussed in another thread and you've been given links to research what Erik and Mike are saying.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Too many people feel distance goes hand in hand with hndcp, i assure this is false, i played today and shot 84, with 41 putts! So you see, my overall game is ok, my distance is good, but my hndcp is my putting! We need to stop looking at charts and such to determine how well someone plays or should play, i am living proof of that and im sure a great number of you will agree thats true for your game too!

You're an anomaly. They exist in all facets of statistics. Just because they don't apply to you doesn't generalizations aren't true, and it would be just as illogical to create a generalization for everybody else based solely upon your experiences. You don't fit the chart, cool. But the charts exist for a reason.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Well duff, i guess because my numbers tell people i should be a certain hndcp, but in fact im not and its mostly my putting which never seems to be factored in to thier equations, i hear it almost every time i play, people tell me to got to some kind of putting school and i could be closer to a scratch golfer, theres always comments on my putting and how nice my swing is but the numbers dont match what one would expect if one just saw me hitting balls

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!