IGNORED

My Swing (amoline)

amoline
Note: This thread is 2646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow, to be honest, an elbow is truly something I never thought of in a gold swing. I suppose that's why you're the expert. :8)

Thanks a ton for the information -- can't wait to get out and try this. Makes so much sense now that I think about my own swing.

Andrew M.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wanted to jump in and post an update. I went and hit a bucket of balls at the range today and just... Wow. I'm not going to say eureka, I've got it, because that's a way to make sure the next time I'm put in my place but I will say wow and thank you so much to mvmac. I was definitely the picture in that video and had no idea my elbow was getting stuck like that over time. I used the swing thought of pushing away from my head a bit more, and on some swings I would pause at the top and actively reposition myself. Anyway, once I was getting it down more consistently, I was absolutely floored at the difference it made. I never would have guessed. As I still ensure I don't start getting flippy again, and once it becomes more habit, replacing the bad, I find I am able to more confidently put more into swings instead of decelerating trying to time something. Regardless, the range session felt absolutely fantastic, and the best news of all -- not a single ball got topped 5 feet in front of me! (Well, that's a little lie -- a few did, but it wasn't because of anything that I messed up and had no idea what happened. Mostly, it was because I was swinging a little too fast in between balls I think. Heh. It was getting dark and I was excited at the contact!). Checking on the elbow and swinging more properly was probably the weirdest feel ever. I felt like Jim Furyk, and everything was going to go 50 yards right. But nope, dead straight. Also, something new happened -- the ball seemed to jump a little faster, and on my shots I heard some kind of 'hissing' noise from the ball as it flew off. -- good, bad, mean anything? So anyway, I am overjoyed right now. I might be playing 18 holes tomorrow at a tougher course in town with my brother, so we will see how that goes. Now, my biggest challenge will be monitoring that elbow like a hawk and making the change feel habit again. I slipped unknowingly into the bad position in the first place, so I definitely know that I can just as easily slip back into bad habits. So keeping an eye on that for sure. Hopefully getting some new video up soon, perhaps this weekend if I get another range session in. Thanks for all the help again mvmac -- and thanks to you Duff for following my progress. Appreciate getting to know members here!

Andrew M.

So anyway, I am overjoyed right now. I might be playing 18 holes tomorrow at a tougher course in town with my brother, so we will see how that goes.

Thanks for all the help again mvmac -- and thanks to you Duff for following my progress. Appreciate getting to know members here!

Happy to help, good luck tomorrow if you play.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

yeah I always get really excited when swing changes make such a big difference for me too. It will be great when it becomes your grooved swing so you can work on other thing too. That's my hope for my swing changes. I hope they stick and become natural and do for you too. :)

I wasn't able to go play today, but I did go to the driving range and used the golf mtrx app. Hopefully somebody else can understand these numbers better than I can. I'll attach some of the good swings and what the app says about it. I question some of the numbers though on that. In any case I'm no expert so maybe someone with experience in it can enlighten me. I'll hopefully be able to get some video that I did, soon. Honestly though, no idea how I'm hitting the ball any better whatsoever. My swing looks pretty dang ugly right now, and the chicken wing is something else-- seems markedly worse. Anyway, it is what it is. Hopefully I'll get the video up later.

Andrew M.

I wasn't able to go play today, but I did go to the driving range and used the golf mtrx app. Hopefully somebody else can understand these numbers better than I can. I'll attach some of the good swings and what the app says about it.

I question some of the numbers though on that. In any case I'm no expert so maybe someone with experience in it can enlighten me.

I'll hopefully be able to get some video that I did, soon. Honestly though, no idea how I'm hitting the ball any better whatsoever. My swing looks pretty dang ugly right now, and the chicken wing is something else-- seems markedly worse. Anyway, it is what it is. Hopefully I'll get the video up later.

I have no idea what any of those numbers mean, except perhaps tempo. And if the tempo number means what I think it means you're either way too quick from the top or the backswing is too slow, likely a bit of both. Upload your next swing video without the slo-mo, it tends to hide things like that.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Hey savvyswede. I appreciate the help. Thanks for posting. I think you're definitely right. I looked at some non slow mo video and it looks like my backswing takes almost as much time as the downswing, lol. Way too fast! That's something I need to work on a lot. I think next time I go to the range, I'm going to keep an eye on the over turn bit that mvmac pointed out, and really try to methodically wind to an appropriate point that isn't hugely over swinging. John Daly told me he wants his backswing back. lol.

Andrew M.

Frustrated! First let me start off by saying that in my golf journey being relatively new, I learn a new lesson everyday! :D And my lesson today was don't play golf on Labor Day! That was my first mistake. My second mistake was going to the little 9 hole course that is common for beginners and weekend players and you don't expect uber fast play there -- which I don't. But let me clarify. It took me OVER 4 HOURS to play a round today. A round of *9* short holes!!!!!! Got to the course shortly before 10 this morning, and wasn't leaving in the car til 2:30. Saw the weather this morning said it might rain at 2-3 but figured it wouldn't be something I'd have to worry about. Wrong! Got poured on as I was putting out on the 9th. This particular course has its first two holes running opposite each other, such that the first tee is fairly near the second green. But I hit my first shot off the tee, with not fantastic distance, and it hooked a little into the left rough. It wasn't pretty, but it certainly wasn't OB. And then a guy walking down the second hole fairly sees my ball bouncing along in the rough, and he walks into the rough off the second fairway, POCKETS MY GOLF BALL, and keeps on walking. I literally got my first tee shot stolen from me. LOL. Sigh. And I honestly played abysmally today. It was to the extent that I basically stopped keeping score. I don't know how much pace of play changes your final score or ability as you're playing, but I'd certainly like to attribute my pathetic round to it, though I'm sure that it isn't the reason, and it was just mounting frustration all around. In case anyone wasn't sure, golf is mental. :P And I still can't get a golf ball to stay on a green worth a darn. Again, could be the course I suppose, could be mostly my lack of ability and technique. But for what it's worth, the practice green at this course isn't even close to the actual greens. So yeah, a few different things and I guess everyone has bad days/rounds. Just have to move on from it, admit I sucked, and look forward to the next rounds and range buckets, huh?

Andrew M.

As I continue to work on things I hope to get a couple new videos up soon. I did have a question however And before I am tarred and feathered, I am aware this question is near blasphemous on TST :P Would there be any benefit to my squaring my feet back at address, even temporarily -- or even maybe squaring back my trail foot? I know the benefits of flaring my feet, but I've noticed a few things -- flaring my feet helps me turn more fully, but one of my issues right now is over rotating my hips. Also, my left knee has started popping because of some reason. No idea if it is because of my feet but it didn't used to happen golfing. Anyway, I just wasn't sure if for anybody flaring the feet may ever be a hindrance to things. Some people have a magical story about when they first flared their feet they hit the ball much better but I haven't found that to be the case with me. It doesn't feel like it makes a huge difference, but I could be wrong I suppose. Just wanted to collect some opinions on this.

Andrew M.

As I continue to work on things I hope to get a couple new videos up soon. I did have a question however And before I am tarred and feathered, I am aware this question is near blasphemous on TST :P Would there be any benefit to my squaring my feet back at address, even temporarily -- or even maybe squaring back my trail foot? I know the benefits of flaring my feet, but I've noticed a few things -- flaring my feet helps me turn more fully, but one of my issues right now is over rotating my hips. Also, my left knee has started popping because of some reason. No idea if it is because of my feet but it didn't used to happen golfing. Anyway, I just wasn't sure if for anybody flaring the feet may ever be a hindrance to things. Some people have a magical story about when they first flared their feet they hit the ball much better but I haven't found that to be the case with me. It doesn't feel like it makes a huge difference, but I could be wrong I suppose. Just wanted to collect some opinions on this.

I played with flared feet for about a month this summer and while I do somewhat flare my right foot, I feel much more comfortable and my swing produces better results with flaring my left foot more Han my right for some reason. You might be struggling with the "centered" hip turn. You want to turn, but you have to do it the right way. I used to think I was turning properly but it was actually more of a lateral swivel that really made swinging awkward and produced bad results.

As I continue to work on things I hope to get a couple new videos up soon. I did have a question however

And before I am tarred and feathered, I am aware this question is near blasphemous on TST :P

Would there be any benefit to my squaring my feet back at address, even temporarily -- or even maybe squaring back my trail foot? I know the benefits of flaring my feet, but I've noticed a few things -- flaring my feet helps me turn more fully, but one of my issues right now is over rotating my hips.

Also, my left knee has started popping because of some reason. No idea if it is because of my feet but it didn't used to happen golfing.

Anyway, I just wasn't sure if for anybody flaring the feet may ever be a hindrance to things. Some people have a magical story about when they first flared their feet they hit the ball much better but I haven't found that to be the case with me. It doesn't feel like it makes a huge difference, but I could be wrong I suppose.

Just wanted to collect some opinions on this.

I don't think that squaring your feet will help you, no. I think, perhaps, that working on your turn would be helpful. If you are still shifting off the ball while turning, it probably won't help you as much. It'd work on getting that head steady with flared feet, IMO.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Had a lesson with my pro the other day. Went pretty good, and still working on a few things. I like him as a teacher, but I just think sometimes he's not great at explaining things. Haha. Anyway, was wondering if I could get some help with a couple of things. He agreed with my elbow issue, so I'm continuing to work on that pretty hard. I think it's gotten a lot better as I keep focusing on it.

I know this is not a great place to be in, and I feel like these two photos are probably connected. Also, I feel like my distance issue might be related to these images as well. Is there something I can practice that can stop me from dumping the club so early? I've seen so many causes and reasons for it posted around the internet that I have no idea why I, specifically, am even doing it, let alone how to fix it.

I feel like this is still a flip, though not nearly as bad as I used to be. I was able to fix my severe flip to here fairly easily, but now I'm not sure from here what's going wrong. Obviously, I'm hitting ground before ball here, so that's definitely not ideal for distance and power, either. What I have noticed is that right after impact it's pretty much a "flip" again, but then my forearms cross, etc. and I seem to do a normal follow through, so not sure if the post impact flip is an issue, or just a thing.

Or, if these two images are results and not causes, I'm open to whatever either way. Would just like to improve the picture here. Downswing looks way too out and wide.

In any case, appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Andrew M.

He agreed with my elbow issue, so I'm continuing to work on that pretty hard. I think it's gotten a lot better as I keep focusing on it.

You should post a new video of the elbow to see how you're progressing.

Or, if these two images are results and not causes, I'm open to whatever either way. Would just like to improve the picture here. Downswing looks way too out and wide.

In any case, appreciate anyone's thoughts.

The picture at and before impact are causes of what happened before. You should keep make sure you've fixed your elbow issue first before worrying about impact. One step at a time.

Yeah, I'm looking to get a DTL video soon -- the range I go to makes it harder to get DTL than face on, but probably a good idea to just stick with the one thing for now.

Still, sometimes, when I am working on the elbow, I feel like I get almost a Nicklaus-esque flying right elbow, which I guess isn't a bad thing in itself, but all the same -- any advice, then, on how to reconcile that feeling?

Andrew M.

Yeah, I'm looking to get a DTL video soon -- the range I go to makes it harder to get DTL than face on, but probably a good idea to just stick with the one thing for now.

Still, sometimes, when I am working on the elbow, I feel like I get almost a Nicklaus-esque flying right elbow, which I guess isn't a bad thing in itself, but all the same -- any advice, then, on how to reconcile that feeling?

Don't worry about the feeling, worry about what it looks like on camera. Did you watch the video @ mvmac posted above?

Definitely -- run through it a few times now. Just a matter of continuing to integrate it through good practice. Appreciate all of the help

Andrew M.

Was able to get a DTL video today, woo hoo! YouTube might still be processing it but I'll post it anyway [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/gYzEuv89jqs[/VIDEO] Anyway, I don't think my elbow is getting so bad anymore. But maybe my feel was right and it's getting a little too much to the point of a flying elbow. Also, it definitely looks like I'm coming majorly out to in. So odd, because it doesn't feel like that. Ah well. Who knows how I get anything going straight. You'd think I'd be slicing it with how it looks like on the video but oddly enough I'm not. Most of my flights seem fairly straight with some fades. Still, with how the courses around me play I'd love to hit a draw someday. That's for another day I suppose though. :) Feedback, etc., as always, very appreciated.

Andrew M.

Note: This thread is 2646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!