IGNORED

My Swing (Dave325)

Dave325
Note: This thread is 1096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Good. Couple of quick notes…

• Make sure you're not doing a lot of the first drill with the "angle" and the stuff with your neck. Your head can stay relatively still, just turning. It doesn't have to drop well down or anything.
  • With the other drills, make sure the hips are going and stay forward. In some of the videos, particularly the pump ones, the head almost dropped down and back, and then the hips finished back a little bit farther than they should when you're exaggerating in doing the drills.

Otherwise, looking good! Remember to record in slow-mo when you submit, and just the one swing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Good. Couple of quick notes…

• Make sure you're not doing a lot of the first drill with the "angle" and the stuff with your neck. Your head can stay relatively still, just turning. It doesn't have to drop well down or anything.
  • With the other drills, make sure the hips are going and stay forward. In some of the videos, particularly the pump ones, the head almost dropped down and back, and then the hips finished back a little bit farther than they should when you're exaggerating in doing the drills.

Otherwise, looking good! Remember to record in slow-mo when you submit, and just the one swing.

Thanks for the input, Erik. I'll work on those points. I appreciate it.

Dave

Changed something big on my swing here. Not swinging with the arms, but using the hips and weight forward. More work on this one to do, but feeling good about it at this point. A bit more consistent too when I do it right. The specific feel I am using now is to try to swing with my belly button (yes, sounds strange.... but works for me).

Dave

Driver swing with FO and DTL views. Focus priority is getting the hip turn weight shift forward, ensuring that the hips are open before impact and finishing with weight on the outside of the left foot. Starting to feel better with swing of using the lower body and less arms. When I do this right, the ball goes dead straight. When I don't, I get a serious fade. Any suggestions or input here is always welcomed and appreciated.

Dave

• Administrator

Dave, you should really be submitting videos to evolvr roughly once every two to three weeks. Continually submitting them means you're not dedicating enough time to make lasting changes.

Keep at things for awhile. Simplify it down to the one or two things you need to focus on, and then put in some real time on them. Submit when the picture has truly changed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Dave, you should really be submitting videos to evolvr roughly once every two to three weeks. Continually submitting them means you're not dedicating enough time to make lasting changes.

Keep at things for awhile. Simplify it down to the one or two things you need to focus on, and then put in some real time on them. Submit when the picture has truly changed.

Ok, Erik. Will do. Thanks for the input.

Dave

8 hours ago, Dave325 said:

Ok, Erik. Will do. Thanks for the input.

Keep filming your practices though to see the picture change.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Keep filming your practices though to see the picture change.

Thanks @boogielicious. I'll do that. I probably need to step back a bit as I tend to get a bit over aggressive with practice and wanting to see improvement. I find myself practicing for hours on end until I can't grip the club any longer.  So that's  probably got good and may need to re-evaluate  that part. (Shrug)

Dave

Working on the priority items from my last Evolvr lesson... shoulder hip turn and weight forward through impact. A couple things I still need here... to maintain the hip position that was at address up to A4 and get more weight forward, while keeping my head back. Feeling a bit like Gumby now at the finish (smile), but it seems to have straightened out my fade. More work on this ... slowing things down from A4 through to finish to get the mechanics ingrained.

Dave

• 5 years later...
(edited)

I've been Playing Golf for: many years, though more seriously for the last 10 years

My current handicap index or average score is: about +15
My typical ball flight is: slight draw with irons. Straight to fade with driver. 
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: pull

New video to be posted here tomorrow. Just started back on this forum. 

Edited by Dave325
Fix

Dave

I am just starting back on the forum after being away for a lot longer than I would like to admit. So, I am posting a new swing to look for comments, though I plan to sign up for Evolvr in the next week. Any and all comments would be much appreciated. This is a 7 iron swing (both views) in my backyard. Thanks!

Dave

Welcome back. I'll start with some easy ones here.

1) Get better camera angles. Having it slightly off makes it harder for everyone to see everything.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

This article is dated now, but just read the section about setting up the camera's position. Makes it way easier for the instructor to see what's going on. This will be key of course if/when you return to evolvr. Your instructor will thank me for bringing this up so he won't have to 🙂

2) Again, this is tough to be sure on because of the camera angles, but it seems like you have some freebee setup changes you can make here by moving the ball more forward in your stance and leveling out your weight at address. Your setup seems far too "stack and tilty" here. Try to be more 50-50. Using a mirror is the cheapest and simplest way to see this. It'll probably feel like you have too much weight on your back foot if you're doing it right, i dunno. No idea how this'll feel to you.

Again though, the camera angle could be throwing me off on this. I'm not sure.

As for the swing itself, I assume your priority piece has to do with properly implementing more hip slide on the downswing and less excessive squatting. I don't want to get too wordy with this though, nor am I an instructor, so I'll just leave it at that for now 😄

• Thumbs Up 2

Constantine

11 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Welcome back. I'll start with some easy ones here.

1) Get better camera angles. Having it slightly off makes it harder for everyone to see everything.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

This article is dated now, but just read the section about setting up the camera's position. Makes it way easier for the instructor to see what's going on. This will be key of course if/when you return to evolvr. Your instructor will thank me for bringing this up so he won't have to 🙂

2) Again, this is tough to be sure on because of the camera angles, but it seems like you have some freebee setup changes you can make here by moving the ball more forward in your stance and leveling out your weight at address. Your setup seems far too "stack and tilty" here. Try to be more 50-50. Using a mirror is the cheapest and simplest way to see this. It'll probably feel like you have too much weight on your back foot if you're doing it right, i dunno. No idea how this'll feel to you.

Again though, the camera angle could be throwing me off on this. I'm not sure.

As for the swing itself, I assume your priority piece has to do with properly implementing more hip slide on the downswing and less excessive squatting. I don't want to get too wordy with this though, nor am I an instructor, so I'll just leave it at that for now 😄

Thanks for the reply! And thanks for the tip on the camera setup. It’s been awhile for me doing the camera thing. 

you are so right... I have been struggling with the initiating of the downswing and hips and foot action. Thanks for your help. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

(edited)

I have been working on the Full Swing Flow drill from the Practice Plan Challenge, since I believe this is where I need work. I am posting this Face On view of me doing the drill with a 7-iron to make sure I am doing it right and not getting it wrong. I welcome any all comments to help with these moves properly. Thanks!

Edited by Dave325
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dave

Continuing to work on the Swing Flow drill with iron, wedge, driver, and hybrid. Alternating between the drill and regular swing to try to ingrain the feel and flow. 

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

New swing posted today after working with my priority items which include... getting a stronger grip, more tilt (I was swinging fairly flat at the top), and getting the left side to come more in and down, while looking at the ball (I was looking more over the ball before), keeping the neck softer through the swing. I am interested in all comments and suggestions. Thanks!

This swing is with the 7 iron in my backyard using the wiffle balls.....

Dave

With the above swing, I changed the grip from interlocking to overlap. This seems to provide a more even grip pressure. Thanks for any comments or insights. Much appreciated. 

Dave

On 4/26/2021 at 7:03 PM, Dave325 said:

With the above swing, I changed the grip from interlocking to overlap. This seems to provide a more even grip pressure. Thanks for any comments or insights. Much appreciated. 

I’ll just do a review here.... I started to add a slight pause near the top and a tad more bend at the waist for better body turn. Still open for others to review. 

Dave

Note: This thread is 1096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!