Hardspoon

My Swing (Hardspoon)

205 posts / 24442 viewsLast Reply

10 hours ago, billchao said:

I agree. If you can't practice, you're just going to have to find a way to be ok with how you're playing even if it is below your expected level or the game will get frustrating fast.

Yeah, for sure, I get that. I should be clear: my only frustration is the stuff that SHOULD have nothing to do with practice. 

Any normal person should be able to not play/practice for a year and still two-putt from 10’, or get on a green in less than three shots from 25 yards.

That’s all I meant...stupid crap like that is COMBINING with the normal results of lack of practice to make my golf particularly poor right now.

But...no big deal. Still enjoying playing, and hoping to get better. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

3 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Any normal person should be able to not play/practice for a year and still two-putt from 10’, or get on a green in less than three shots from 25 yards.

I agree you shouldn't be three-putting from 10', but the short game motion was not something that came naturally to me so when I was playing to 19. Two or even three-pitching/chipping was not that uncommon, especially when I wasn't practicing or playing. I've sorted it out now but once in a while the old creeps in.

3 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

But...no big deal. Still enjoying playing, and hoping to get better

Yea, I know you well enough that I know you'll have a good attitude about it. I was mostly just sympathizing with you because I've been there.

Played 9 holes today in probably the worst weather I ever golfed in...38 degrees, windy, and sleeting for a few holes.

And...it was awesome.  So much fun to play again.

I've been (slowly) getting back into working on golf again.

I played a round last weekend...lots of ups and downs.  Shot a 43 on the front, and 55 on the back (!)...mostly because of poor contact (fat/thin shots), particularly with wedges.

I went out to the range today for a bit and focused on short, abbreviated swings just trying to make good contact.  I'm hoping to get back one night this week to take some video and continue working on my high-priority full-swing stuff.

10 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I've been (slowly) getting back into working on golf again.

I played a round last weekend...lots of ups and downs.  Shot a 43 on the front, and 55 on the back (!)...mostly because of poor contact (fat/thin shots), particularly with wedges.

I went out to the range today for a bit and focused on short, abbreviated swings just trying to make good contact.  I'm hoping to get back one night this week to take some video and continue working on my high-priority full-swing stuff.

Could fatigue have been a factor? I had a similar round Thursday. We played a pre-league 9, shot a 40, then had almost an hour break for the league 9. I stiffened up quite a bit.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:32 AM, boogielicious said:

Could fatigue have been a factor?

Maybe a bit...I don't think it's physical, though.  The group I play in has a ton of very slow players, and I think it just gets to me after a while.

When I have time to practice lately, it's been working on my putting with the Puttist and working on my takeaway in slow motion.

I did have a very good round today (lowest raw score ever, with an 88), which was nice.  I hit my my driver extremely well, which is always going to lead to good scoring.  Once again, I did play better on the front than the back (42-46).

Edited by Hardspoon

Went out today to practice the stuff that has been plaguing me lately - clubface control (practiced using slow speed swings with a variety of clubs, trying to start the ball left, right and center) and short wedges (simply a matter of getting my weight forward to make better contact on those 40 - 75 yard shots).

If I could get the wedges figured out, and keep working on my short game (pitching practice in my yard and putting with the Puttist), I'd expect a pretty good benefit to my scoring in a short period of time.

I also need to schedule a trip up to Golf Evolution soon to continue progress on my full swing.