IGNORED

Starting the downswing

pl3cky
Note: This thread is 3120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys! New to the forums and would just like to say, I'm very glad I signed up so far! I've had some real helpful and insightful replies so cheers! :) Right on to my question, I hope this is the right area for this post! I've read and understood that the downswing obviously starts with the lower body. My issue and question is, How much of a conscious move is this for the averge golfer? I've been told that my lower body naturally gets itself into a good position and I don't need to worry to much about feeling like I'm turning my hips to start my swing. This has only confused me though because if my hips are getting into a good position 1) where am I going wrong as I'm very inconsistent and 2) what should I feel to start my downswing then?! I've been told to feel like I'm turning my left or right shoulder and getting my torso to face the desired target. Although this is what Ive been doing I can't help but think I'm misinterpreting something somewhere along the lines of the downswing as I struggle massively to play a Right to left shot I know this question or topic is probably one that springs up a 1000 times but hey! Any help would be greatly received Cheers!! :)

Post a my swing video if you can. Different golfers may need different feels to start the downswing. I tend to let the arms get to far behind me. If I start the downswing with a hard lower body feel, my arms just get stuck further behind.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have matey :) already had some nice feedback! Yeah? I can sort of understand what you mean by that. When I start with my lower body I feel like nothing I do will allow the club to drop Into the slot, almost like it's always shift in to and out to in or over the plane, and when I try to drop on a more in to out path it like you say feels very 'stuck'

I've read and understood that the downswing obviously starts with the lower body.

My issue and question is, How much of a conscious move is this for the averge golfer?

Some players have to be very conscious about some piece during their downswing and others don't need to think about it at all.

And the feels will vary depending on their priority, some might need to feel the arms firing down to the ball, or the hips opening or the lead knee flexing down and forward. There isn't one swing thought for the downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Some players have to be very conscious about some piece during their downswing and others don't need to think about it at all.

And the feels will vary depending on their priority, some might need to feel the arms firing down to the ball, or the hips opening or the lead knee flexing down and forward. There isn't one swing thought for the downswing.

Pretty much. I don't really feel much in starting the downswing. Its pretty much finish the backswing then drive that right side through. I am more body rotation feel right now over anything like hips or hands.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Great advice and points! Anything on dropping the arms into the slot when using lower body, or is just a reaction to the correct move guys?

Cheers

Read my last post :-)

Depends on the player and their priority.

You might enjoy this thread.

Mike McLoughlin

Hey man, that link you posted earlier has been an awesome help.
I was down the range earlier trying out some of the keys and tips and it was working a treat.

I didn't realise until reading the thread as well, that when the club drops, if the handle wasn't pointing slightly in front of the ball (from a down the line view) your club face would cut across the ball no matter your swing path. This was like someone had turned a light on for me! Although it's the bit I'm struggling with most I honestly think this is the biggest reason I've struggled to play that draw shot.
Thanks!!

I had sporadic issues with weight shift. In today's range session, I made a conscious point to start my down swing with the lead knee flexing down and forward.  I have been doing this well in front of mirror but not during a round.  Once too often, my weight does not shift and it leads to hitting way behind the ball, or overcompensating and hitting a terrible shank to left.   This has been giving me OBs and hurting my score.   The practice shots were more consistent.   I will make this my new routine and see if I finally become consistent with weight shift.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

This is a very difficult thing to train your body to feel. Best bet is to take a broken driver shaft at 44 inches and wrap it in duck tape till you can feel some weight on the end. Swing until until your hear a nice whoosh!! Assuming your making a proper weight shift then the downswing is really about personal timing.

Has anyone got any advice for hitting the ball higher? I'm getting some mid flight penetrating draws with my long irons but would like to try increase the apex of the trajectory... 

Has anyone got any advice for hitting the ball higher? I'm getting some mid flight penetrating draws with my long irons but would like to try increase the apex of the trajectory... 

Working on the stuff mentioned in your swing thread will help.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!