IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

• Administrator

We got 4 to six inches of snow. Y'know, after I played golf yesterday.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I went out and played today at my course in Weatherford, OK. I shot 46-43 for a total of 89. I took one of my best friends out who has never played before, so it was a much longer day on the course than most. I think I was more focused on him than I was on my own game.

I shot a 93 for my first round of the year two weeks ago, and I shot an 89 today. So I am slowly moving back down to the low 80's where I belong. I can definitely feel my game coming back to form somewhat.

I did get to wear my new golf shoes for the first time though. That was a positive.

Well, I just had my first ever birdie... after 8 months of play... 'bout time, gosh! (in my best Napoleon Dynamite voice). I played 9 holes and birdied the par 3 ninth with a chip in from the fringe. That works for me.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Well, I've been dominating the par-5 7th here. In the last four rounds I've played I've gone eagle, birdie, par, and an eagle yesterday. Yesterday's was awesome. It's 570 yards. Roped a drive to 280 out, pulled out the 'ol 4 wood and knocked it to pin high, granted our fairways have really started to dry out so I'm sure it got a lot of roll. Then rolled in my 25 footer for eagle. Quite satisfying.

Decelarated on a 15 footer for birdie on the par-3 eight that was dead on line. Then almost eagled the par-4 9th. Left myself a 3 inch tap in. Too bad I bogeyed 1 and 3... Can't complain with a -1 34 though. I'm off to the back nine tonight to see how I can close out the round.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I didn't manage to dominate anything this morning. In fact the #12 par 5 nearly whipped my ass. I was laying 3 when I finally got past a hateful little mesquite, just past the red tees.

It was probably only the second or third time I ever got to play a full 18. I had a wonderful time, despite that one tree that kept catching my ball and throwing it back behind me. I even found a ball that I lost last Tuesday! I ended up with an 86, not to bad for no more practice and experience than I have.

• Administrator
Played 8, 9, and then the back at my course today. 8 and 9 were nice warmup holes. I continue to impress myself when I walk down to the tee without warmups. I usually hit the ball pretty well with my first swing.

Was a bit downhill from there, but in the good, weird way. Ever have one of those days where you aim right and play for a high draw, but end up pulling it with a low cut that somehow winds up right about where you were aiming anyway? I hit shots all over the place, but they all ended up being good. I hit nearly every fairway (and the ones I missed I was a yard or two off). I hit a ball so thin with my 3W on 11 it climbed up the slight hill remaining a foot off the ground the whole time.

I hit every green but two, and on those I got up and down for par. 9 straight pars.

First two holes were pars, too.

Course was very soggy and a few pins had snow around 'em. I counted two putts on those holes (kind of a bummer - one was a make-able 15 footer). The other was from about 25 feet.

By Monday it should be in great shape. Figured something out on the last few holes, too, so I'm looking forward to it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Shot 77 today after an 82 and 84 last week. All were on easy courses but with strong winds. Thats a better start to the season for me than last year when I opened with 92 on the course I had 77 today.
In the bag:

Callaway Big Bertha 454 9* w/ Aldila NV 65-S shaft
Callaway Big Bertha 3-Wood
Titleist DCI 981 irons Cleveland 588 60* and 64* wedgesOdyssey White Hot #5 center shafted putterBridgestone B330/Callaway HX Tour balls

• Administrator
They key is how good your misses are.

Yeah, but there's misses, and then there's flat out "that wasn't what I was after at all!"s

SHot a 81 today with a new driver and going out stone cold. I feel pretty good about it considering that. I hit the launcher 460 comp, and loved it. Longest of all the clubs I tested. I hit it 3/4 speed cause it had a stiff nv and I need a X shaft. Even with the 75-80% swing I was carrying it 15 yards further than my 983, r7, or the 905. It is long and straight.

Titleist 905R 8.5 w/ UST V2 75 S
Taylor Made R7 TP TS 13 w/ Vista Pro 80 XS
Titleist 695cb 2i w/ Rifle Project X 6.5
Titleist 695.mb 3-PW w/ Rifle Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome 54.14 w/ Project X 6.5Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome 60.08 w/ Project X 6.5Titleist Cameron Studio Style...

• Administrator

You know, it's very weird to play a course you've played 300+ times and have the wind, for the first time ever, come from 180° in the opposite direction from the normal wind. And a 3-club wind at that. Some holes where I normally hit 3W, 9I were 3W, 3I today! And the 210-yard par-3 that is normally dead into the wind was a 4I today.

Doesn't it suck how downwind you don't see the same impact into the wind? Meaning a 3-club wind into the wind is about like a 1-club wind when it's helping? Bah.

Anyway, shot 78. Hit the ball better, driving was good. Fairway misses weren't by much. Good, not great, putting and short game.

Front: 4/7 fairways, 16 putts, 4/9 GIR, 1/4 UDs, 1/1 SSs - 39.
Back: 4/7 Fairways, 15 putts, 3/9 GIR, 2/4 UDs, 1/2 SSs - 39.
Total: 6/14 Fairways, 31 putts, 7/18 GIR, 3/8 UDs, 2/3 SSs - 78.

Yesterday, just to be clear.

I got out for the first time this year. Michigan can be pretty unpredictable. There have been a few good days earlier this year, but lack of time kept me on the shelf. Anyway, I split the fairway on the first hole then knocked a nine iron twenty yards over the green and into the bushes from 130 out. I guess my SpeedStik is working. Made a triple bogey 7. Solid par on a 200 yard 3. Followed up with a three put from 6 feet for double and again from 10 feet for a quadrupale on the next. Nine over after four holes. Not a great start to the year. However, I managed to get it together and play the last five one over for a 45. All things considered, it could have been way worse. I hit the ball pretty well off the tee and got my distance under control. The accuracy should come with repetition. The biggest upside was my new driver. I got a Titleist 983K from one of my clients. He bought it last Summer and couldn't hit it. It probably doesn't have 10 rounds on it. I hit it three times. First one was 275 yards in the first cut. Second was 310 in the right side of the fairway. Third was 295 right down the middle on an uphill par 4. I can't wait to get out this Sunday.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Ahhh can't beat the long days of spring/summer. Today I started my new shift at the golf shop here, 2-6. Got to the course at around 11, hit some balls then went out for a quick nine. Went bogey free. Problem is, I also went birdie free. But I'll be hitting up the back nine when I close at 6, hopefully I'll get some birdies on the back...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Monday - Played Rock Harbor . The course was in a lot better shape last year. Shot an uninteresting 83. Last round using my "other" putter, as there were too many 3 putts to mention. If I could make a putt I would have been in the high 70's.

Tuesday - Played my home course, Virginia National . My my new "old" putter (I've had it for like 25 some years) I was able to cut down on the 3 putts, and I actually felt very confident with a lot of the putts. Several close calls and a 15 footer for par, as well as a 20 footer for my only bird on #16. I don't remember the last time I was rolling putts this good, so I guess we've found my problem. Posted an 82, which was my personal best at this course.

Wednesday - back out at Virginia National. Was smoking on the front nine. After my usual bogey on #1 (if I had a $1 for every missed 60 yard wedge to the green...) I commenced in being even par after 6 holes, including the 25 foot birdie putt I drained on the par 3 #4. The irony is that #4 usually is a bogey or DB hole for me. Mental stuff you see. Not today. Well, I finished the nine bogey, bogey, bogey to post a front nine 39. Back nine was the Hyde to my front nine Jekyl (Hmmm...sounds like a good name for a golf course - "Jekyl and Hyde GC"....Hmmm...). Anyways, where was I??? Sliced my drive on 10 next to a tree. No shot. Pulled out my Hybrid 2 and took a whack at my 2nd shot. Skips and bounces about 50 yards. Pulled out an 8 iron from 130 (the wind was really blowing) and ripped that over the green. Chipped on short and two putted for the double. So much for the good round. Then I rip a nice drive down the right side of the fairway on #11. Dude - where's my ball???!!!! After searching for 5 minutes...OH there it is - completely plugged in the fairway. WTF!!! We haven't had serious rain for a week and this place is still wet? Well, at least I found it. Then I rip a 3 wood nice to about 145. Smacked an 8-iron to the front of the green. Man, that wind is killing me today!!! Now I've got a 60 footer for birdie. Not a chance! Put it 10 feet past the hole. Miss the comebacker for a bogey. Then I 3 putt the par 3 12th from about 15 feet. Tricky little pin placement basically on top of a mound on the green. Ball either goes in or 5 feet past the hole, or 5 feet short. No chance at getting it close!!! #13 is a joke. Ripped a perfect drive and then couldn't find my ball. WTF!!! Plugged again. What is this - a joke? Hit an 8 iron again from about 140 (massive mountain approach shot into a tiered impossible green). Damn, hooked it into the woods - gone to the forest!!! Dropped and flopped it onto the green. Yeah, forget it on this one - 4 putt territory. Took my ESC double and moved on. I'm really not in the mood to play 14. Par 3 with about a 200 foot drop from tee to green. No really...here's a pic...

Ripped what I thought to be a perfect 6 iron from 164. Get to the green and no ball. Man, what do I have to do here??? Took my double bogey and went home. Handicapped everything else, except for 18, as I had to maneuver around some slow foresomes. Had to get home to feed the kids.

Just goes to show you how golf changes not only from round to round, but from hole to hole, and from shot to shot. Might have not helped that the wife kept calling me (I need to turn off the cellphone on the golf course - really) bugging me, asking me when I'll be getting home.

Not a bad week nevertheless. Best golf I've played in awhile.

i3+ irons
G5 13.5* driver
G5 B60 putter
58 lob wedge
Revolution Tour ball

• Administrator

So in other words, you took a few more than 18 putts?