IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

I'm in FL for spring break and got to play my first round of 2013 today. Shot 100 and felt pretty good about it for the most part. I must have given away 10 shots with poor play from 10 - 60 yards, which hurt but I was pretty happy with everything else. Felt good to be out again!

Played Oak Creek in Irvine, CA from the whites yesterday as part of the Golf Channel Am Tour (69.2/127). Finished tied for second shooting a 97. Had some great shots and some that were downright dreadful. Putted decent, chipped decent. My biggest problem of the day was my tee shots, most were hooking ( not normal for me). Also lost 2 balls that should have been easily found. I also need to work on hitting out of bunkers that have real sand in them. Hit 2 shots from each bunker opportunity. It was a good day for golf, finished 2nd out of 11, wasn't at work, what more could I ask for.

Qutab Golf Course
Regular Tees 66.3 / 117
New Delhi India
March 26, 2013

EAGLE BIRDIE PAR BOGEY 2BOGEY+

ANKUSH 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 OUT 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOTAL
REGULAR 408 220 350 290 386 198 380 546 327 3105 119 321 479 132 170 276 525 370 287 2679 5784
HANDICAP 3 11 7 17 5 13 9 1 15 18 6 8 16 14 10 2 4 12
PAR 4 3 4 4 4 3 4 5 4 35 3 4 5 3 3 4 5 4 4 35 70
SCORE 3 5 7 2 4 3 7 6 6 43 43
ROUND SCORE E +1 +3 +2 +3 +2 +4 +6 +8 +8 +8
NET SCORE 3 5 7 2 4 3 7 6 6 43 43
TEE CLUB Sw 5i 5i 7i 7i 5i 1W 5i 5i
FAIRWAYS x ⇐ x x x ⇒ 67% 67%
GIR x x x 33% 33%
PUTTS 2 2 2 1 1 1 2 2 2 15 1.7/15
SAND SHOTS 1 1 2 2 2 8 8
PENALTIES 1 1 1

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

Shot an 80 on my home course today (Apollo Beach, FL).  About 6500 yds, bumpy greens as usual. One three-putt, unfortunately.  Overall good day of golf w/ the buddies (won a beer as well - closest to the pin, but squashed the bet).

88 on a 7,000y 72.8/128 (rating/slope) links course, darn wind was 36mph (i checked the weather, too)!  i had to take my hat off for the whole round it blew off so many times the first couple of holes.  48 on the front nine, 40 on the back 9.

i had about 8 3-putts.  the greens are like 9,000 square feet on average, you could use a full shot lob wedge on some of those greens and still not be left with a makeable putt, so 3 putts aren't actually terrible on some holes.  though i did drive a green on a par 4 and got an eagle putt within 9" for an easy birdie, that was my highlight of the round :)

Played at Moccasin Bend in Chattanooga 70.4 Course Rating 120 Slope. Shot an 80 with 40 on each side.

Fairly happy with the way I hit the ball and never really made any putts over four feet (and putting is the best part of my game). Greens were punched (looked like maybe last week) and were almost good enough to be a non-factor on the front side but a little tougher on the back side where most of the holes were not completely full of sand.

I thought the punched greens hurt me just as badly on some chip shots as on putting. Anyway between the chips and putts every bogey I made was from not getting up and down from spots that I would usually consider fairly routine so I was happy with the round. No real blow up holes or anything.

That kind of an 80 could turn into even par fairly easily with the greens a little smoother. A pretty decent start on what looks like maybe Spring's arrival at last (although there was frost this morning when we started).

Drove by my home course this morning. I can almost see ground peeking thru the snow.   Haven't swung a club since November.  It's all so depressing.

82 today for only second time Had 28 putts 2 OB's, one bunker-out but not saved, one 3 putt (1st hole) just not enough GIRs. but some great drives on the front. Back was the killer. I didn't really eat since breakfast, walked and wore out by 15. NOTE to self: eat before you play especially if you play in evening and walk. Front was only 4 over. I want more of that...

Well it's been a few weeks since I've been able to get out and play, so I made a real day of it and got 36 holes in. I was pretty rusty on the first 9, I had two triples, and two doubles to go along with a bogey and four pars for a 46, on the back 9 I started with a double, had 3 bogeys and five pars and finished up with a 40 on the back totaling 86 for the round. I feel I made some quality shots and my chipping is coming along. The second round was a more consistent showing of what I've come to expect from myself. Started off the front 9 with three straight pars to go along with three pars and two bogeys for a 43, on the back I started to fade a little and started with three straight bogeys, then hard to grind thru the last six holes and had two doubles and a bogey to go along with three pars for a 44 to total out my second round with a 87. Overall I was happy with my performance and made some good putts. Well the adventure continues.

In the bag: Driver- Callaway X-Hot 9.5* Hybrid- Wilson D-FY 19.5* Irons- Calloway Razr X Tour 4-PW Wedges- Titleist Vokey 52 and 56 Putter- Odyssey Black Series #8 Ball- Taylormade Super Deep (ball of the moment)

Originally Posted by Ooger

Drove by my home course this morning. I can almost see ground peeking thru the snow.   Haven't swung a club since November.  It's all so depressing.

I can sympathize with your situation, I can't imagine that long of a layoff. I might be forced to actually work

In the bag: Driver- Callaway X-Hot 9.5* Hybrid- Wilson D-FY 19.5* Irons- Calloway Razr X Tour 4-PW Wedges- Titleist Vokey 52 and 56 Putter- Odyssey Black Series #8 Ball- Taylormade Super Deep (ball of the moment)

Originally Posted by Golfizit

82 today for only second time Had 28 putts 2 OB's, one bunker-out but not saved, one 3 putt (1st hole) just not enough GIRs. but some great drives on the front. Back was the killer. I didn't really eat since breakfast, walked and wore out by 15. NOTE to self: eat before you play especially if you play in evening and walk. Front was only 4 over. I want more of that...

Glad to see a fellow West Texan in this thread. That's a good round you had there and yes you are right, I don't eat prior to the round or at least something on the turn I'm pretty much done by 15/16 as well. I'm also sure you'll have more 4 overs in your future, happy hunting.

Originally Posted by Golfizit

i like to play evenings, which is always a weird time meal-wise.  i try to eat a late lunch and then take protein bars with me, even though they are terrible and not much food, plus they're a mess when they melt.  i'm not sure why i don't get something else...

Belmont Country Club
Blue Tees 71.0 / 127

March 29, 2013

EAGLE BIRDIE PAR BOGEY 2BOGEY+

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 OUT 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOTAL
BLUE 368 124 452 406 509 379 344 213 478 3273 420 170 539 175 372 319 402 316 525 3238 6511
HANDICAP 9 17 1 3 11 5 15 7 13 2 12 6 16 10 14 4 18 8
PAR 4 3 4 4 5 4 4 3 5 36 4 3 5 3 4 4 4 4 5 36 72
SCORE 6 3 8 6 9 5 4 4 7 52 4 4 7 3 4 5 4 4 7 42 94
ROUND SCORE +2 +2 +6 +8 +12 +13 +13 +14 +16 +16 +16 +17 +19 +19 +19 +20 +20 +20 +22 +22 +22
NET SCORE 6 3 8 6 9 5 4 4 7 52 4 4 7 3 4 5 4 4 7 42 94
TEE CLUB 1W Pw 1W 1W 1W 1W 3W 3Hy 1W 1W 6i 1W 4Hy 1W 4Hy 1W 1W 1W
FAIRWAYS x v ⇐ x ⇒ x x 57% x ⇐ x x x x ⇐ 71% 64%
GIR x x 22% 0% 11%
PUTTS 1 2 3 3 2 2 2 1 2 18 0 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 1.6/28
SAND SHOTS 1 2 3 1 1 4
PENALTIES 1 1 2 2

Played my home course today from the blues.  Shot a 94 (52,42).  4 out of the first 5 holes killed me in regards to scoring.  It wasn't as bad as it looked though, because 3 out of the 4 I hit the FIR or was hitting good tee shots.  It was my iron shots/approach shots that were doing me in.  With the help of my brother (golfingdad), and an adjustment to my Driver, I was able to start hitting it again and hitting well.  GIR still is a problem, but on the bright side it is helping me keep my putting stats low. Overall it was a good day, helped my handicap, and got to play with my brother and dad.

Myself, I had an 84 (for course info, see scfanatics post above) with 4 sloppy doubles.  Also, I was +5 on their par 5's, which are all short-ish and easy.  I should have easily been in the 78 range, but for just a couple dumb swings.

Oh well, we'll try it again tomorrow! :)

Oh, also played 7:15am, first group off except for one single we never saw after the 2nd hole, and finished 18 walking as a threesome in 3:15.  That was nice.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

85 at coronado municipal golf course in San Diego.

Front nine were great, then I shot 9 over on the back. Probably because my drives stopped finding fairways.

49 - 2FIR, 2GIR and 20 putts, 1x1putt, 5x2putt and 3x3putts

48 - 1FIR, 0GIR, 1x1putt, 5x2 putt, 2x3 putt and 1x4 putt!

First time breaking 100! Had 2 blow up holes (two triple bogeys, the lowest number of triple + bogeys Ive ever shot!) but otherwise was playing standard bogey and double bogey golf :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After two years of mostly shooting in the 80s and having an explicit goal of breaking 80 (as stated in this forum) I finally got it done today.  Admittedly on a rather forgiving course but that's OK, I still earned it.

Encinitas Ranch GC.  69.7/125.

Score of 78 (39 out, 39 in), with 1 birdie (1st hole), 10 pars and 7 bogies.  9 of 14 fairways hit and 11 GIR's.

My previous best was an 81, also at this course, around the middle of last year I think.  I've actually shot some high scores in the past few months but they've been steadily dropping and I've been feeling more confident after a lesson from a pro I saw for the first time a month ago.  Which reminds me, I should send him an email to let him know.  He got me much more on plane, I was going back on the inside and then lifting my arms in an attempt to get back on plane.

The main differences I can think of to explain today's breakthrough are:

1) staying more on plane in the backswing (focusing on this in the practice swing)

2) slowing down the backswing and transition, especially with the woods and the long irons

3) in the address, working my feet a little to make sure that my weight was properly distributed - then staying balanced throughout the swing

4) ending the swing high with driver - when I end low I almost always hook it.

I'll admit that I hit 3 push-fades with driver (my old miss) but twice I still managed GIR's! (hitting from an adjacent fairway)  But I knew why this was happening (head drifting towards target and slightly ahead of ball during the swing) and when I corrected it I was driving well.  I could have had 3 or 4 up-and-downs from within 20 yards of the green but I'm still having trouble chipping from light rough - ball almost always goes long.

A very satisfying day.   Now let's see if I can repeat it again this year, that would be nice.

Cheers.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball