IGNORED

Retiring the woods

dazza78
Note: This thread is 3107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played my best round today. After retiring my woods, they're definitely my Achilles heel!

i can use them on the range, but on the course they get me into all bother!

i stuck with my five iron, as that's the longest I own.

mentally my driving is gone awol 

i I can't fathom why my iron play is a million times better?

Edited by iacas
removed extra returns

My coach tells me the longer the club the harder it is. I played today and was hitting my driver great at the warm up then hooked it every time on the course.

My coach tells me the longer the club the harder it is. I played today and was hitting my driver great at the warm up then hooked it every time on the course.

Sounds like me Davie!  I hit more of the fairways next to the one I was playing than the one I was!  Well, I actually retired them after the third!

Sounds like me Davie!  I hit more of the fairways next to the one I was playing than the one I was!  Well, I actually retired them after the third!

I was playing at the Carrick in Loch Lomond today as we got a great deal but if I play a new course I always fall to pieces on it. I play off 13 but today I was more like a 28. Mental block with not being my home course.  

Edited by mvmac
Text box

I played so much better without the driver, I don't actually feel I need it, it would probably help me drop a few shots at some stage of my game.. need the confidence to pull it out the bag now.

In the long term, you are hurting your game if you don't play anything longer than a 5 iron. Keep working with the woods so that you can trust them on the course. Not being able to hit driver off the tee means longer second and third shots and also means that there are a lot of greens that you aren't going to be hitting in regulation.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why don't you try hybrids. Most people find them easier to hit than fairway woods and the distance should be much better than a 5i.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

I have found my score fluctuates mostly by how many penalty strokes or how many trouble spots I find off the tee. One thing that has offered me some immediate feedback is I picked up a newer driver with a black club face. With certain golf balls I can immediately see where on the club face the ball impacted. Most of my trouble shots are toe shots or very high off the club face. If I am having a particularly bad striking day then I slow down my swing and concentrate on hitting closer to the sweet spot. I lose some distance but gain some control. 

• Upvote 1

Having pretty much the same issue, by the looks of things I might be at a similar level to you. On my last round I used a 15* hybrid off the tee with hugely improved results. Distance definitely suffered but I hit fairways and it showed in my score. My plan is to work on my 3w and driver at the range over the winter, hopefully they'll be back in the bag (3w at least) for next spring.

Having pretty much the same issue, by the looks of things I might be at a similar level to you. On my last round I used a 15* hybrid off the tee with hugely improved results. Distance definitely suffered but I hit fairways and it showed in my score. My plan is to work on my 3w and driver at the range over the winter, hopefully they'll be back in the bag (3w at least) for next spring.

Yep sounds like me, I can hit my irons but any of the woods on the course and it goes into meltdown, on the range I hit a few good strikes but its too easy to get in a rythmn there for me and get overly confident.

Yea appreciate that, so just need to keep on practicing I suppose...

Right, you definitely shouldn't give up on hitting your driver, it's an important club.

Check out this thread in case you haven't seen it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Cut down your swing.  Even a 3/4 driver will go further than a 5 iron.  Work on making contact in the center of the face.  Make sure you are making contact with your left arm straight and the back of your left hand facing the target.  That will help bring your head back to square.  To score you have to keep the ball in play.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I played my best round today. After retiring my woods,

At 28 handicap (even for UK system), retiring is such a strong word.  Keep practicing at range, and add the woods back later when it's the right time.   My 2 cents.

Edited by rkim291968

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!