IGNORED

Rich Beem asked to Drop out of Tournament for Ian Poulter

Gator Hazard
Note: This thread is 3133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From the sound of it it seems like the European Tour pressured Beem into leaving the event.

European Tour officials asked Beem to step aside

I will say that's rather disappointing that the European Tour would pressure a player to drop out like that. What would make more sense to me is if they instead pressured the tournament to allow a single extra competitor into the field. Having Ian Poulter in the field would draw greater publicity to the event, rather than drawing potentially negative publicity if it appeared that the tournament organizers forced Beem to leave.

If Beem stepped out willingly, I would bet that the European Tour and Poulter are both compensating him in some way. There's no way someone with as few tournament opportunities as Beem just leaves without some sort of incentive.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Keep in mind that money isn't valued linearly.  $1M -- or even 10% of that -- would make a big difference to me, and probably to you too.  The expected profit of participating (not just the chance of winning $1M) probably doesn't make a big difference to them, particularly Tiger.

True, but here it isn't just money for the tournament on the line--you're also playing to continue your future earnings. Seems shortsighted not to build in a "buffer" in your schedule-- in case life happens and you can't make one or two due to circumstances not in your plan (weather, flights, wrist/ankle injury).

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

this is unacceptable to my point of view as a european.

if poulter asks a favor to the player in a direct manner and gets it ok ti's an arrangement between tiers, he better pay off hard. though.

but it seams to me that reading this article I could believe a federal golf organization is behind this request to back off in favor of a player.

I understand that poulter wishes to play elite golf on the pga (even though he plays crap in strokes he should better go for he asian tour for his game level) unfortunately he needs to play on the world 2-3rd division in Europe to keep his european card. (I say world  2 or 3rd division because it seams that webtour has a better level of play than the ET does).

12hours jet lag etc, poulter  goes for the minimum play plan and finally has a one event problem to be present. and has his card in stake. so what ?

Now thats his problem not some other player on tour hoping to play and even win it why not jump his game on the win and beat nicklaus on major wins ?

I would not dare as a federal organisation write an email or even make a phone call to ask someone to take bench. Thats pure cheating versus US eligibles or the golf spirit.

Who cares about poulter anyway ? This is not the point but.... 

He is total crap in match play technically. He won 1-2 games drooling as an arse in the opponents neck and only the poor social media said that therefore he is a king in the manner. nobody can say the guy is good or believe that crap.

he sucks. he always did. he only wants to play golf and works hard at it (fair to him) and stands by in nobody land to stay eligible. then he developed golf clothing industry for idiots and got heavy weight in the industry(he got that right there are many idiots to be client in our world). but who cares ?

I wonder if his industry was or was not the official decision maker to cheat sport ? 

Edited by bubble

Lots of stress related to travel would make it difficult to play in more tournaments for golfers who are members of the European Tour and the PGA Tour.  Some events count in both tours, but it would still be a full year to meet the criteria for both.  I like Poulter as his antics add a bit of drama to the scene.  

If Beem was compensated or okay with it, then there's not much for me to get upset about.  If they convinced Beem's sponsors to revoke their exemption and Beem had no choice but to act gracious then I'd say it was wrong.

I don't get these guys like Poulter, Kaymer and Tiger who limit the number of tournaments they play in.  I don't know what the prize money is on the Euro tour but if I had a chance every weekend to win $1M+ I'd be playing as many tournaments as I could.

Which is why so many players fail and lose their cards.

The fact that they think they are only a week away from a million dollar paycheck makes them play more than they should when their games are off.

As for the top players, money isn't even an issue. They make a lot more in sponsorship than from prizemoney.

What you would do bears no relation to what multi millionaire golfers do.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Which is why so many players fail and lose their cards.

The fact that they think they are only a week away from a million dollar paycheck makes them play more than they should when their games are off.

As for the top players, money isn't even an issue. They make a lot more in sponsorship than from prizemoney.

What you would do bears no relation to what multi millionaire golfers do.

That may be, but I'm not sure why it's so hard to make sure they plan to play enough tournaments to keep their card. I wouldn't expect anyone to play every tournament available, especially if they weren't playing well. However, it says he needed 13 tournaments to retain his membership, why would he base that number on a tournament he had to have a specific ranking for. Seems only prudent and intelligent to make sure to have at least 13 tournaments planned outside of any special ones that require you to have at least a specific standing in the rankings. Definitely poor planning on his part.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

That may be, but I'm not sure why it's so hard to make sure they plan to play enough tournaments to keep their card. I wouldn't expect anyone to play every tournament available, especially if they weren't playing well. However, it says he needed 13 tournaments to retain his membership, why would he base that number on a tournament he had to have a specific ranking for. Seems only prudent and intelligent to make sure to have at least 13 tournaments planned outside of any special ones that require you to have at least a specific standing in the rankings. Definitely poor planning on his part.

Ian Poulter is more interested in his Ferrari Collection and his semi-literate tweets than he is in counting golf tournaments.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!