IGNORED

Boo Weekley: "This wraparound season sucks".

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you were a player, do you think you'd agree with Boo?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a player, do you think you'd agree with Boo?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/11/12/different-reactions-to-boos-it-sucks-commentary.html

Rex Hoggard at GolfChannel.com considers the Weekley comments and says that world ranking points available for fall events are up this year, confirming McCabe's point. But Hoggard also notes this in reaction to Boo's comments about the reduced time for fishing due to the need to play some fall golf even after having secured his card:

"With apologies to the man from Milton (Fla.), cutting into Weekley’s extracurricular outdoor activities is the least of the Tour's problems. Instead, rest and recovery are in short supply at the highest level and more than one Tour swing coach has lamented that the slim offseason window has made it virtually impossible to institute any meaningful changes to a player’s game.

It’s the Tour’s mandate to create playing opportunities for every member, but as is the case in most businesses, quantity doesn’t always equate to quality."

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a casual fan of professional golf, the "wrap around" elicits very little interest from me.  Many of the best players barely participate and if I happen to find some time to watch some televised sports event, it most likely will be pro or college football.  My traditional TV golf season starts after the Super Bowl, about the time I starting praying for warmer weather.

The earlier comment about being unaligned with the other professional golf tours (Euro, LPGA and even the Champions) was spot on.  It seems odd to have several groups of professional golfers sweating out the end of the season while the PGA Tour is "kicking off" the season.

Brian Kuehn

So here is my view....I voted yes, but I would only feel that way if I was an established Tour member.

Boo has made money on tour, been around the block for a while, doesn't really need to get tournament experience. For those reasons, I think the PGA Tour wraparound season sucks. Its during Football season which I can tell you I typically don't watch much golf unless its Thursday or Friday night. The fall is for football and hunting. 

Dont get me wrong, I still golf EVERY weekend when the weather allows me, but Im not going to watch the Sanderson Farms Championship vs any NFL action.

For a PGA Tour rookie, or a guy outside the top 125, I love the wrap around season. It gives me the chance to contend in tournaments without Jordan and Rory and Zack & Dustin Johnson out there making a million birdies. It can kind of pad the pockets for some of the newer guys before they really play some big tournaments in the spring. There is a reason all 4 majors are in the spring and summer.

The fall is supposed to be their off season and quite frankly they dont have one. If you can afford to take a long off season off and only play in the minimum tournaments required and still make money, great. Otherwise the tour is forcing guys to take 2-3 weeks off here and there then they are right back into travel and tournaments. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I like the wrap around season as a spectator.   It makes the fall tournaments relevant.  Also gets some nice name players in the field.  However, I would rather watch golf than the NFL.  I do like college football.  I think what Boo says has some merit, but it is really his personal choice whether or not to play.  It is really hard to not be a fan of Boo.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't really matter what I think. My guess is guys like Boo don't like it because it makes him choose between accumulating points or doing what he likes, hunting or whatever. It's not like he has to play every event. My guess is those guys work less than an office grunting slogging it out 9-5. I haven't had a vacation since 2005. Boo-Hoo Boo.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!