IGNORED

how long to get to scratch?

donkba
Note: This thread is 5935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Kedderek:
You're so right. That's why I used the phrase "true scratch golfer" in my book (when comparing tour players' skills to theirs). My biggest pet peave- not putting everything out. I love to hear that sound of the ball falling in.. I tap in 1 inchers.

ks8829:
Great advice!

Author of "Striking It Rich: Golf in the Kingdom with Generals, Patients and Pros"
www.reidsheftall.com

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you practice putting alone and two putts every green, this would immediate help your score. In putting if you concentrate on practicing distance control more than the line of the putt from 10-20 feet and farther you have a better chance of 2 putting and eliminate the 3 putts.

I just started trying different putting styles and I found a way to control my distance and this might help you.

I am taking my back swing a certain distance and following throught which promotes acceleration on the follow through with the same speed each putt. This has made my distance putting more dependable for me. When I need to change the distance I have a slightly longer back swing and the same tempo for my follow through putt.

I watch Lorena Ocha plays yesterday and notice she is putting in this style also, watch her follow through.

Some pro recommend same distance back and same distance forward. I tried this and it was hard to be consistant for me.

Try it you might like it, let me know how you like it, or need clarification on the stroke.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

ks8829:
Tou mean take a shorter backswing and accelerate? Thaworn Wirichant (Asian Tour) does that and he is deadly in the 20 foot range. They either go in or dribble by one foot.

Author of "Striking It Rich: Golf in the Kingdom with Generals, Patients and Pros"
www.reidsheftall.com

yes, accelerate through the putt. I have been guilty of deccelerating a putt and found this new method as a fool proof way to make sure I accelerate through every putt.

I like to go by one foot or let it died into the hole on down hill putts. I take less break if I am going to be firm with my putts, I have to remember to aim inside the hole and not take too much break sometimes.

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

I'm a chicken on fast greens so I was probably decelerating a bit. A good friend on tour told me to do the same thing you are telling me. An added benefit is that the putter-face stays very square with a shorter backswing. I'll try it. If I could make some 20 footers, I'd be dangerous.
Thanks ks8829

www.reidsheftall.com

Thanks to all of you for the advice and encouragement. I am realizing that one of my big problems is that I am too often trying for pars rather than bogeys. I would be ecstatic if I shot 90, so I should maybe just aim for bogey golf. My mind is my biggest obstacle, and that's something I have been working on (namely eliminating swing thoughts and just doing it).

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted on my scores!

In my C-130 bag:

Driver: G10 10.5*
3 Wood: Burner
Irons: G10 steel AWT shafts, silver dot, +1" (3-SW)Wedge: cg12 58*Putters: Squareback 2, California Coronado Low score (18 holes): 90Low score (9 holes): 42

lots of good advice getting shared! Although I've shared that I think getting to scratch is out of reach for most of us, I think EVERYONE can break 80. I've played with lots of seniors that can't hit much over 200 yards, but by keeping their tee shots in play and practicing their short games, they're tough to beat! Previous recommendations to ditch your woods, play for bogie on par 4's, practicing your short game, (and holing out all your putts), are great tips to improve your game. Know your limitations and play within them, and practice to overcome those limitations.

www.artfulgolfer.com

I would be ecstatic if I shot 90, so I should maybe just aim for bogey golf. My mind is my biggest obstacle, and that's something I have been working on (namely eliminating swing thoughts and just doing it).

hipcheck, nice avatar (and username). As a 4 handicap, there are even par 4's on my home course that I am happy to escape with bogies. I rarely play for birdie either and just take 'em when I get 'em. Don't get too concerned with the par rating for a hole. Just find a way to play each hole where you minimize the risk of getting a double bogie or more.

www.artfulgolfer.com

We should practice 80-90% on the short game and 10-20% on the long, mid and 100 yard game.

I know that's the theory, but the short game was irrelevant for me until I got rid of most of the mis-hits in my long game.

I had to learn how to hit down on the ball (for good ball contact) and where the correct swing plane was (to hit straighter shots). I think these these two items took such a long time (two years) because they were not intuitive (for me) !

I played mostly on par 3 courses so far (very good par 3 courses). What do you think is the ratio moving to reg courses? Do you add or drop relative strokes? eg if I score +20 on a par 3 should I expect a +50 on reg course? What happened to you?

I went from about +20 on par-3 courses to about +35 on regulation courses, not counting my first time or two out. I got tremendously afraid of par-4s and par-5s because I couldn't have a chance of getting to the green in one. So, I added relative strokes, mainly because of mistakes when playing from trouble. I wonder how I'd do on the same par-3 courses now.

The good news is, I looked to my playing partners to be really good from 130 yards and in, not because I was, but because it was far more polished than my longer game.
Thanks to all of you for the advice and encouragement. I am realizing that one of my big problems is that I am too often trying for pars rather than bogeys. I would be ecstatic if I shot 90, so I should maybe just aim for bogey golf. My mind is my biggest obstacle, and that's something I have been working on (namely eliminating swing thoughts and just doing it).

It's better than that: if you want to shoot in the 90s, you can bogey every par-5 and par-3 and average 5.9 - just under double bogey - for the par-4s and make a 99.

Where in So Cal do you play? If it's a course I know, maybe the two of us can try to plan the holes together. I bet someone on the boards knows the course, and we can try to plan a score in the 90s for you. If no one knows the course, next time you play, write down where the hazards are and a description of each hole. Not for us, but so you're aware of it. Start keeping a "Home course notebook."

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know that's the theory, but the short game was irrelevant for me until I got rid of most of the mis-hits in my long game.

Depending on stage of development, mid-long game is equally important to work on to achieve repeatable and reliable shots. However, once you get there (I'm sure everyone will be), it becomes more important to work on short game to deal with variable situation. I practiced almost every day and broke my 100 within three months of starting golf and 90 within another one month (stable at 16 hcp). Initially worked crazy with irons and driver, then later more time with pitching. My focus, to lower the hcp, now has switched to distance/trajectory/spin control within 60-150yd to get the ball on the green and <2 putts. My 20-30% of effort still goes to maintain swing rhythm and quality of driving shot.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

I have been playing for about 23 years. I am self taught and never took a series of lessons, its funny but my 13 year old son has had more golf lessons than I ever will already.

That is great to hear. My wife is expecting our 1st child around new year's. After reading so many times that golf and children are mutually exclusive, I made a couple of decisions:

#1. I ordered an indoor putting green for the NY apartment while its cold, and I can putt close to baby Jonah. #2. I have decided (with my wife's support ) that when we move to Kentucky next summer, I will install a backyard artificial green. I love my family and I love golf. I will have both, period. If the course is too far away, I will bring it to the house! I hope to get all of them into the game, and to have fun with it. Hearing about others who do this is very exciting to me!

#2. I have decided (with my wife's support

Mmm... one reason I cannot wait to have a real house with a backyard. Backyard artificial green.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congratulation on the baby on the way. I have two kids a 13 year old son and a 7 year old daughter. My son has been playing golf since he was 7 years old. He has always played more basketball then golf but I feel he already has the swing and if he played more golf he can enjoy the game more.

My daughter is 7 years old and I can't wait for her to get into golf, she has been involved with the First Tee program this year and has taken 3 classes with her friends and I hope to get her into private group lessons soon.

I had my son swing the plastic golf clubs at age 4 with plastic golf balls. Hand eye coordination for kids are a great start for them in any sport they participate in.

I found with my kids that having their friends join the golf lessons group made it more fun for them and they were willing to try golf.

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

ks8829 and g-funk13
You guys are living the good life. I can't wait until I have kids.
read an interesting question posed by a young father on my blog www.reidsheftall.com . It will demonstrate how valuable your advice can be to your child

www.reidsheftall.com

Reid, I might have to buy your book
Kaz

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

Kaz:
Wow. That was nice. You're in SF? Getting late there. I've got to go do an operation. I'll be on later tonight. Thanks for your support. I really do think it will improve your game. Tell your friends about it and let me know what you think. Thanks very much.

www.reidsheftall.com

This is on topic with the recent threads about game management. When I play my round, I just hit the ball aggressively and take aim at a lot of pins, play driver as often as possible ect. If i get to defensive and technical about my game, everything goes to a wreck.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Note: This thread is 5935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!