IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge (January 2016)

iacas
Note: This thread is 3008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Worked this afternoon in the backyard for an hour and a half split between the driver and the 7-iron. still focusing on the bent right elbow up to impact. Since I have also been working and adjusting my takeaway, I adopted Erik's thoughts about practicing the backswing. However, since I am working on the right elbow piece, I add in the downswing, but stopping at the ball. When I make a good backswing with the flat wrist, and... Downswing with the right elbow bent up to impact... Then... I reward myself with being able to hit the ball. Still doing 1/2 and 3/4 swings. I did a few full swings and uh... Not quite there yet, so backed off of that. We're expecting rain/cold/snow moving into the area tonight, so I'm pulling the car out of the garage and moving my practice routine inside for tomorrow.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very grateful for @iacas blog in instructional droplets on practicing the backswing efficently. Did this on the lawn for 10 mins with a 6 iron, then another 10 mins chipping.

Chris.:roll:

Spent 30 mins going through the full practice plan for my swing; ie

1. Spent 5 mins swinging a piece of electrical conduit, discovering what I needed to do to move my arms faster on the downswing, using the "whoosh" as feed back

2. Another 5 mins with my 6 iron, trying to replicate #1 above.

3. 10 mins practicing the back swing drill that @mvmac advised in my swing thread, using @iacas idea of rewarding myself by swinging through the ball when I made a good back swing.

4. Finally, spent 10 mins chipping, working on repetition of a basic chipping stroke (my chipping was somewhat suspect during my last round).

Working on the back swing and hip turn. If I could only sequence it better. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

White Death (snow) has arrived here in Cincinnati. Arg... I hate winter. Anyway.... Started the day with a good workout... 1 mile run, weights and kettle bells followed by a boxing session on the heavy bag. Had to move the golf practice indoors. Spent a couple hours in the garage working on the 7-iron and hybrid with the practice net. Focus still on the right elbow and backswing drills/ideas that Erik mentioned in his Instructional Droplets blog. Also working a bit on the putting stroke. Changed my putt grip slightly, which seemed to provide more control and flow, but still early to tell. I'll spend some more time with it and see how it goes.

Dave

10 hours ago, Lihu said:

Working on the back swing and hip turn. If I could only sequence it better. . .

Practice round, where some of my drives were pretty good and some lackluster ones. Some lackluster shots and some okay ones. It's going to take quite some time to get used to the timing and ingrain the "sequence" into my "muscle memory".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Backswing drill and golf lab sms.

Really have to turn to get full backswing . Results in standing firm on right heel and left toe.Another new feeling, at least a new one I'm more aware of in doing slow motion backswings.

Under construction, signature and game.

Working on the sequencing from the back swing to the downswing transition.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Mirror work at the gym before my workout. Focused on backswing, then on hands going more out than down from A4 to 6.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yesterday it was some dry swings. Then some chip & pitch practice at the practice area. Hit 70 balls total at 4 different target pins. Even holed out on a few of them. 

Today it was some putting practice on the 19th hole greens. Idea was at different distances, with different breaks, to not 3 putt any holes. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Outside on the lawn again, 6 iron, no ball. 10 mins of working on the backswing drill (the "feel" is that only the upper body moves until A2, then the right hip cranks around until A4), followed by 15 mins chipping (my chipping isn't a glaring weakness, but it's close), discovering which set-up works most consistently for a "go-to" chip shot.

Pretty frigid temps here today, but was able spend some time (45 min) in the garage working on the backswing and right elbow follow through with the 6 and 7 iron. Slowed things down even more and tried to smoothen out my transition to the downswing. 

Dave

Mirror work before my workout. Focused on the pivot from A6 to 8-9.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Did some back swing drills and held at the transition to kind of stretch out the muscles and get used to relaxing more on the transition.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Backswing drill, pivot drill and hit each club in my winter bag through a series of swings into net in barn.

Series of swings =

1/2 swing, tucked elbows swings, 3/4 swing, full swing, hinged wrist drill swing, my am I feeling lucky walk through swing and chips(putter swing).

This practice structure has been evolving. I hope to take it to the range in the spring. That is a net gain already. No pund intended.

Under construction, signature and game.

Further full swing practice on the lawn, no ball. 10 mins on the speed drill with the conduit and 6 iron, followed by 15 mins of the backswing drill I've been working on. The concept of "rewarding" a good backswing by completing the downswing which @iacas developed in instructional blogs has really been of help.:beer:

Yesterday it was some dry swings. Then some chip & pitch practice at the practice area. Hit 70 balls total at 4 different target pins. Even holed out on a few of them. 

Today it was some putting practice on the 19th hole greens. Idea was at different distances, with different breaks, to not 3 putt any holes. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 3008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!