IGNORED

Lie Angle

Note: This thread is 3015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I started golfing a year ago and have a couple questions about lie angle.  I'm hunch over at address (which is uncomfortable), but it's the only way I can get the club to the ground.  I have a slight over-the-top movement at the top of the swing which get my swing off plane (take-away is on plane).  I don't have any issues hitting it straight (the tendency is a hook vs. slice), because slightly prior to impact my club finds its way back on plane.   

I would guess many players don't have a correct fitting, but "figure out a way" to hit it straight.  Question - could my lie angle (too flat) cause the hunch over at address and increase the slight over-the-top movement, so I'm able to hit it straight??  Early last season I injured my left hand (rightly) but continued playing (one-handed) and took lessons.  At step-up my posture was comfortable (more upright) and swing was perfectly on plane and other than having a tendency off hitting off the toe, I hit the ball straight.  Technically speaking, I have a better swing one-handed than two. 

I have a lesson on Tuesday, but want to run this question past you boys/girls first!

I appreciate anyone's thoughts

10 minutes ago, SOGGYSOG said:

Question - could my lie angle (too flat) cause the hunch over at address

The club has no effect on your posture, unless the club length is too long or short. When you take the lesson on Tuesday, the instructor should recognize your a beginner almost immediately proceed to illustrate setup, grip, posture, things which will help you proceed to getting started. There are many usefully videos and photos on this site to review that would be beneficial for you to look at before you take your lesson. Then when you have the lesson, you'll have a better understanding of the suggestions the instructor will be telling you.

Do you plan to continue playing using only one arm/hand?

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, SOGGYSOG said:

I only played one-handed for a couple months (spring) since have returned to two-hands. 

Are you saying lie angle does not affect the posture in a golf setup?

I agree with @Club Rat - the lie angle shouldn't affect posture, but the length might.  If you're extra hunched over to get the club to the ground then they might be too short for you.  It might also turn out that they're too flat, but that would only be determinable by fitting and/or watching ball flight.  Clubs that are too flat would have a tendency to tilt your plane to the right (if you're a right hander) so if you are pushing or slicing more than usual then they might be too flat as well.

1 hour ago, SOGGYSOG said:

Are you saying lie angle does not affect the posture in a golf setup?

Here is a good thread by @mvmac 

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

3 hours ago, SOGGYSOG said:

I'm hunch<ed> over at address (which is uncomfortable), but it's the only way I can get the club to the ground.

Question - could my lie angle (too flat) cause the hunch over at address??

If you mean 'lay the sole of the club flat on the ground' vs. 'get the club to the ground', then lie angle may contribute a bit. However, the flatter your club, the more effectively 'toe down' it is. To keep the sole of a flatter lie club on the ground at at address would actually prompt most golfers to have a straighter (less bend over) posture and / or lower their hands. If 'getting the club to the ground' is your issue then I agree club length is the problem or your arms aren't extended right. 

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

3 hours ago, SOGGYSOG said:

I started golfing a year ago and have a couple questions about lie angle.  I'm hunch over at address (which is uncomfortable), but it's the only way I can get the club to the ground.  I have a slight over-the-top movement at the top of the swing which get my swing off plane (take-away is on plane).  I don't have any issues hitting it straight (the tendency is a hook vs. slice), because slightly prior to impact my club finds its way back on plane.   

"Hunching" is actually a good thing. Much better to have a "soft" upper back than sticking your butt out to reach the ball.

For the over-the-top move, make sure your shoulders aren't aimed left of your feet. Other than that it's most likely going to be something with your swing.

I know you said you hook it more than you slice it but I'm guessing it's more of a pull-hook, which would make sense if you did have an OTT move. Good thread to check out to help your path.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!