IGNORED

My Swing (Vinchenzo561)

Vinchenzo561
Note: This thread is 2634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 85-90
My typical ball flight is: mid left/right
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: snap hook/slice

Iron slomo

iron normal 

driver slomo

driver normal

hello everyone I am a new member here looking for any and all advice. Please criticize my swing. Thanks for watching any and all advice is appreciated. 

Driver - covert 2.0 (9.5) Woods - covert 2.0 (3/5) Hybrids - covert 2.0 (3/4) Irons - vrs-x (5/SW) Putter - :odyssey: metal X (33")

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

welcome to the site!

you have a lot of great things working for you in that swing.  there a tons of people who would kill for that swing after only two years of playing.

i'd love to see a face-on view of a swing.  i think that would tell a lot more.  from down the line, i see a bit of the head popping up around impact which can make for iffy contact.

• Upvote 2

Colin P.

Thank you very much colin007 for the feedback. I do seem to struggle with popping my head and shoulders up on impact, and sometimes the left foot spins and comes off the ground. could that be an early release or extension? I also feel that my swing might be kind of flat? I can never seem to get into my drop. My videos always look like I come over the top a bit. I really appreciate your response. I will post a face on asap. Thanks. 

Driver - covert 2.0 (9.5) Woods - covert 2.0 (3/5) Hybrids - covert 2.0 (3/4) Irons - vrs-x (5/SW) Putter - :odyssey: metal X (33")

iron slomo

Iron normal

sorry the videos lose some quality when I upload them. Thanks for watching. ?

hey @Vinchenzo561 i would definitely start with this thread.  its a biggie, but theres so much good info in it, you really cant get into a position to play consistent golf without getting your weight forward.

you definitely have a flip at impact, again due to the lack of weight moving forward at impact, and theres some early extension as well.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

5 hours ago, colin007 said:

hey @Vinchenzo561 i would definitely start with this thread.  its a biggie, but theres so much good info in it, you really cant get into a position to play consistent golf without getting your weight forward.

you definitely have a flip at impact, again due to the lack of weight moving forward at impact, and theres some early extension as well.

Wow!! @colin007 I think you just changed my swing for the better. That thread has a lot of great info. I was so anxious to try the hip slide I just went out in the rain and hit a few balls into the net.  Swing felt great. Takes a little practice and patience. I had almost zero weight transfer before. Now I feel like I am staying on plain better not so over the top. A few more practice sessions and I should really be able to control my shots more. Thanks for your tips and advice I appreciate it. 

Absolutely. I have gotten so much good info from this site, glad to help out.

Getting your weight forward allows you to attack the ball from the inside, none of that nasty wiping across the ball stuff. Also helps to shallow out your angle of attack, which may be a good thing.

Colin P.

On 1/20/2016 at 0:54 PM, Vinchenzo561 said:

Thank you very much colin007 for the feedback. I do seem to struggle with popping my head and shoulders up on impact, and sometimes the left foot spins and comes off the ground. could that be an early release or extension? I also feel that my swing might be kind of flat? I can never seem to get into my drop. My videos always look like I come over the top a bit. I really appreciate your response. I will post a face on asap. Thanks. 

Ya definitely a bit over the top on the way down.  Try the drill in the following video for a couple weeks: 

I'd say before you try changing anything within your swing, you might check your ball position, because it looks a bit too far back in the stance.  Other than that, you're looking really solid for only getting after it for two years!!

Favorite Golf Quote: "The harder you work, the luckier you get" - Gary Player

The DIY Golfer (my site)

14 hours ago, Vinchenzo561 said:

Wow!! @colin007 I think you just changed my swing for the better. That thread has a lot of great info. I was so anxious to try the hip slide I just went out in the rain and hit a few balls into the net.  Swing felt great. Takes a little practice and patience. I had almost zero weight transfer before. Now I feel like I am staying on plain better not so over the top. A few more practice sessions and I should really be able to control my shots more. Thanks for your tips and advice I appreciate it. 

I agree with Colin on this one. Key 2, Weight forward at impact is your priority. You have a centered hip turn and just need to work on getting the weight going forward at the start of the down swing toward impact. There is a lot of good info in the pinned thread below. Focus on the weight forward drills in the 5SK Video thread like the one below. It is referred to as your "priority piece" on this site.

And do your drills and practice slowly at first. Here's why:

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@colin007 and @boogielicious got it covered. Also, and this is easy, work on refining your camera angles, it'll be easier to pick things out. I'm guessing your tripod is on grass, so not as easy, takes a little longer. I'd point your camera a tad higher. And also post a down the line video too.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

@colin007 will the weight forward naturally eliminate the flipping on impact? Or do I still need to make sure I get the hands past the ball with the left hand facing the target as long as possible? @TheDIYGolfer could my ott swing cause me to hosel one every now and then really bad? I did notice my ball position a little off after you mentioned it. I had my positions all wrong lol. I will work on that drill aswell it's just a little hard to see where he is actually putting the basket. @boogielicious thanks for the great threads I will deffinently work on my weight transfer with the simple.specific.slow.short.success. Thank you everyone.  I am glad to be a member of this site, very helpful group of guys thanks. 

19 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

@colin007 and @boogielicious got it covered. Also, and this is easy, work on refining your camera angles, it'll be easier to pick things out. I'm guessing your tripod is on grass, so not as easy, takes a little longer. I'd point your camera a tad higher. And also post a down the line video too.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

@nevets88 thanks for the advice I will work on making my setup better. I currently just use my iphone with no tripod so my videos I could see being very inconsistent. I have posted a down the line in my very first post if you would like to check it out. Thank you for your feedback. 

4 hours ago, Vinchenzo561 said:

@colin007 will the weight forward naturally eliminate the flipping on impact? Or do I still need to make sure I get the hands past the ball with the left hand facing the target as long as possible? 

No, not naturally. There's plenty of guys here, myself included, who can get their weight forward but still have issues with a flip. It just makes it much more attainable. With an OTT move you instinctively flip in an effort to just make contact. With your weight forward there's just so much more room for your and and hands to chime from inside.

Keep up the good work!

Colin P.

@colin007 i will continue to work on not flipping at impact and post my progression. thanks for all your help. i am starting to get the feel for the hip slide with the weight moving forward. check out my before and after practice session.

IMG_3005.PNG

IMG_3006.thumb.PNG.cc052c929f2e5fa449e64

56a45d5065854_FullSizeRender(1).thumb.jp

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.2e34d4feb590158

good work!!  keep at it, did you notice that the impact position is moving in the right direction? its a little more inline with the left shoulder now.  keep getting that weight forward while keeping your upper center where it was.

Colin P.

On 1/23/2016 at 9:02 AM, Vinchenzo561 said:

@TheDIYGolfer could my ott swing cause me to hosel one every now and then really bad? I did notice my ball position a little off after you mentioned it. I had my positions all wrong lol. I will work on that drill aswell it's just a little hard to see where he is actually putting the basket. 

I can't say that is the only reason for the hosel rockets, but definitely could be.  I think you'll find that putting that ball forward might solve more problems than you would imagine. 

I used to get off with my ball position, but eventually I got so tired of finding out that the ball was too far back/forward, I check it EVERY time I hit balls now at the beginning of my range session.  This has made a world of difference in my consistency since I always know that my ball position is good.   

And for that drill, just set up your club to the ball, and then place the basket about 2-3 inches in front of the club.  Then, move the bucket back away from the target about half a foot so that you are required to miss it on the backswing.

For an OTT swing, this drill will frustrate you a lot, so if you're having troubles, make sure and do a lot of slo-motion rehearsal swings (seems to help me at least).

Favorite Golf Quote: "The harder you work, the luckier you get" - Gary Player

The DIY Golfer (my site)

@TheDIYGolfer I definitely focused on ball position over the weekend. I went out playing on Saturday trying all these new things, expecting to not shoot my best and I shot a 95 with 36 putts. i was not to happy with my putts but, hit some great irons and woods also flubbed some chips lol. Thanks for the drill breakdown I will have to try it out. I really need to practice,practice,practice. @colin007 keeping my head and upper body centered and still was so clutch on todays practice sess. If i hit a bad shot I made sure to keep the upper body very still on the next swing and sure enough I hit it clutch. Also i am around 5'8 and I was swinging a driver that was 45'' I brought it to golfsmith after getting tired of having so much club sticking out past my hands, feeling all jammed up and I got it cut down 2'' what a world of a difference. i was finding the sweet spot more than I ever have before. It felt so good i brought my whole set in and got them all cut down to fit better. After a few swings on the launch monitor and some measurements they cut 1'' off all my clubs. Bam! sweet spot after sweet spot coincidence im not sure yet, but it sure does feel great. Hopefully its here to stay.

Note: This thread is 2634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!