IGNORED

Have you met someone who uses 7 &/or 9 woods?

Note: This thread is 3003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've tried a 7 wood a couple times. I use a 21 degree hybrid, which I'd have to take out of the bag to put a 7 wood back in. 7 wood was ok, but hybrid is more consistent and versatile to me. All a matter of personal preference I guess. 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

I debated a 7-wood a few years ago when I didn't like my hybrid or woods.  A friend of mine had an old one that I borrowed for a round or two.  Instead I went with improving my swing, and I just happen to have a hybrid now, so I guess I never revisited it.  I'm probably replacing my 3-hybrid (and getting a 4-hybrid) before I change woods, so the concept of a 7-wood has to wait a few years for me.

Your course has par two holes? ;-)  

Either way, sounds like the guy in your league did what is needed:  got a club for a desired and useful distance and uses it effectively. 

Haha!  Yeah, I guess my wording actually did say 2-par, THREE holes!  I should have just said the guy hits the 9-wood on the shorter 2 holes.  Pretty sure his 9-wood is a pretty old-school club.  Says he's had it in his bag a long time and it's his best option on the shorter par-3 holes.  Looking back over a number of seasons, he hits those two greens regularly with that club.

dave  

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Probably top 1-2% for his age in distance. (and handicap)

Not a good 230.

About 25 foot off of the ground. It bounces about 10 times and rolls the last 30 yards.

I still hope I can play at that age.

Jack

Jack

I think Tommy Armour had a Divine Nine and a Heaven (11) wood several years ago.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Callaway actually offers a 9 wood in their Great Big Bertha model. 

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Love my 7-wood ... 

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

34 minutes ago, tristanhilton85 said:

Callaway actually offers a 9 wood in their Great Big Bertha model. 

I actually bought one with a KK Silver TINI shaft...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

My alternate bag carries D,4,5,7  Ben Hogan Speed Slots along with the set of Hogan Edge irons. I sometimes use them for the heck of it, nostalgia, whatever....  I cannot say I recommend it though.  My gaming set is a bit more modern, GI irons, and two hybrids as I need all the help I can get.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

7, 9 and 11 W are all useful clubs as you find it harder to hit the long irons.  Very useful for getting a ball up in the air, out of rough and very useful for older golfers.  Got a couple of older golfers on my home course who hit the 7 to 11 W.  Very practical clubs

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Sadly, yes.  I say sadly because he beats me like a drum with them!

Calling @MacDutch 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Sadly, yes.  I say sadly because he beats me like a drum with them!

Calling @MacDutch 

Thanks David,

I played a 7 wood (21 degrees) and for fun (because friends made jokes about it) bought a 9 wood (24 degrees). Turned out to be even better and more consistent then the 7 wood. Its my to go club of the tee and of the fairway (or even a fairway bunker) for shots from 160-185 yards. Just gripping it down to hit it shorter. I use this club instead of a 4 iron. Off course you could also take a hybrid, it all depends on what suits you better. 

Edited by MacDutch

I have a Titleist 910 7 wood in my bag at the moment so easy to get airborne and consistently straight, use it for my second shot on par 5 or a really long par 3 goes about 210-220 won't leave my bag ever I can't hit hybrids for some reason.

Give me a 150 yd par three and my 9 wood comes out of my bag. My ball takes loft and lands on the green like a butterfly with sore feet

Note: This thread is 3003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!