freshmanUTA

My Swing (freshmanUTA)

112 posts / 17670 viewsLast Reply

I'm frustrated for the first time in a while. My parents moved so I was helping them get some things out of their house and tweaked my back in the process. This was about 2 weeks ago. I had a tournament last sunday and I had to play through the injury. Miraculously I took 4th, but since then I cant hit my 5 or 4 irons, or my driver. I just spray them all over the place. To be honest I'm just concerned about swinging too hard and hurting my back so my swing with those clubs has gotten really wristy and flippy. It's causing inconsistent strikes on the face, and some fat shots. I think I'm just gonna stick to hitting my shorter irons and my wedges until I really feel normal again. My back doesn't hurt anymore but I still don't feel 100% right. Aside from that, my wedges up through my 6 iron have ridiculously good dispersion on the range. On the course is a similar story but I'm still trying to improve with different lies. The course I play a ton is really hilly so sometimes I get some really bad hook lies and some balls well under my feet. I'm learning, and its a blast. I'm just frustrated that I had to get hurt.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

My back is fully healed and I’m back to playing and practicing. But during rounds I keep losing focus or making dumb decisions without even realizing it. In my last tournament I shot an 85 and It should have easily been a 79 or better. I missed three, four foot par or bogey putts, and I had 4 separate holes where I 3 putt when i got on the green in regulation. I also made three birdies. Im still shaky over having 3 birdies and shooting an 85. I feel like I unintentionally let myself shoot high scores without realizing it. I usually have a routine before every shot, and sometimes I feel confident enough to cut the routine short. Sometimes it works, others it doesn’t. I’d say it’s about a 50/50 between working and not. But at the same time, sometimes I’m not confident and I take longer on my routine and most of the time the shots are bad. When that happens it’s about a 70% chance I mishit, or otherwise screw up, the shot at hand. 

I hate golf. But, I love golf. Haha.

So today I shot an 83 and finally got my tournament index. I'm an 8.6 which is honestly better than I thought I'd be. This is just even more motivation to keep practicing. My driver is the best it has ever been by a mile and a half, and my wedges and general game inside 100 yards has become really good. However, I think it's time to get fit for irons since the last time I was fit was over 3 years ago and my swing is a lot different now than it was before. Other than that, the only issue I have is not creating enough speed with my wedges and blading chips/pitches across the green.

The biggest issue I've had is impatience. When I start hitting bad shots I get angry and swing harder and out of tempo so the shots just get worse and worse. I've really slowed down my practice this year and I've had the best results yet. I usually take about 4-5 slow practice swings per ball I hit. It usually takes me about 1 minute to hit a ball this way. I feel like if I go any slower it just throws off my comfort level and I lose focus on what I'm working on.

Edited by freshmanUTA

I think its time to get fit for a putter. I mentioned Irons in my last post, but honestly I think a good putter will last me a hell of a lot longer than a set of irons so it would be a more worthwhile investment. I also want to get the FlightScope Mevo because I have a hard time keeping track of my iron distances. As I've become more and more confident with my swing I'm hitting the ball further and further. For example, 155 used to be my go to stock 8 iron distance, but now I'm sending my 8 iron well past the hole when I hit it from 155.