IGNORED

My Swing (Diego Verbeke)

Diego Verbeke
Note: This thread is 1491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Couple of doubt/thoughts i have for my swing. May set my wrists too late encouragung over rotation of my shoulders. Most of THE time trackman shows i have a club path of 5+, a bit much. And obviously lower body stability, but i havent really found a way to do it. Also im not quite sure if i lag properly. I may 'flip' because i have trouble with an open clubface... 

I really look forward to your guys views, been looking all over and not quite having succes!

I've been Playing Golf for: 4 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 20
My typical ball flight is: straigthish, leaking right
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: slicing THE driver

Videos: 

Thanks for posting @Diego Verbeke.  Your swing has a lot of good elements such as a centered hip turn. One thing I noticed is your feet could be more flared out at address. This will help your turn and follow though.

The other thing I noticed is your head drops a bit during your backswing and stays down during the downswing. I had this issue a couple of years back and it is an easy fix. Your impact position below isn't bad, but you are making compensations because your swing center has dropped.

What I practiced was the feeling of my right shoulder and side stretching high during the backswing. Remember to keep your A4 position the same as below with your hips centered, but have your head stay at the same height as set up. You can practice this in a mirror.

diego.thumb.jpg.e370cbc5a9e24f6fc65bf11e

56b5ed5b976c8_diego2.thumb.jpg.0bbc0c2b8

This video explains the importance of keeping your head relatively steady.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Please embed your videos too. There's a link in the "How To" menu item.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The other thing I noticed is your head drops a bit during your backswing and stays down during the downswing. I had this issue a couple of years back and it is an easy fix. Your impact position below isn't bad, but you are making compensations because your swing center has dropped.

I don't think the head dropping is so much of an issue, plenty of good players still do that. I think the head shifting back toward the heels on the the downswing is much more problematic.

Significant amount of flip going into impact as well. (which is Key#3 @Diego Verbeke)

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

@Diego Verbeke you have a nice swing, especially for a 20 handicapper. First thing I would do is take a look at your grip, it may be a little palmy which can cause/exacerbate some of the wrist issues you're seeing on the backswing and downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Great to hear some new ideas, opinions on my swing. Sometimes you just search over and over or over analyze. Im going to the range a couple of times this week and try out some different things.

Sorry for the embedding!

On 6 februari 2016 at 4:44 PM, SavvySwede said:

I don't think the head dropping is so much of an issue, plenty of good players still do that. I think the head shifting back toward the heels on the the downswing is much more problematic.

Significant amount of flip going into impact as well. (which is Key#3 @Diego Verbeke)

Is it just me or does that 2nd ball really disturb my backswing?

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Diego Verbeke said:

Is it just me or does that 2nd ball really disturb my backswing?

Start with your club slightly hovering, then, or slightly inside the golf ball. Or move it back so it doesn't. Or substitute a piece of chalk or a pencil or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@Diego Verbeke your club face is not open at the top it's square to closed. I don't see a late set either. What I do see is a beautiful backswing. You have a big flip going because you're not using shoulder rotation to hit the golf ball. You rotate the club going back, but the shoulders are not guiding the backswing, instead you have the arms guiding the shoulders. Then going forward the arms are in control again, the body opens up and the wrists make a scooping motion. I think an impact bag would help you greatly. Many golfers don't get the shoulder rotation going enough, especially on the down swing. The shoulders have to rotate on top of the hips, they rotate and spin throughout the swing, and the spine also twists slightly. Don't do anything strenuous as this would need to be shown in person but this is why you flip it. When I had a flip my instructor helped me with the ball behind the ball. It helped me get the feel of what good descending contact actually feels like. The problem is this drill can promote somewhat of a forward slide, as the person swinging seems to do to get the job done. The drill does get the hands where they need to be though. After I finished my lessons, I realized the real problem was improper shoulder rotation, and I fixed it. Next time you hit the range, ask yourself at every point in your swing, are my shoulders actively involved? Are they leading the arms or following the arms? 

One can "cheat" so to speak and just put the hands where they have to be, but since you have the flexibility clearly, you should try to fix the rotation problem. It can't hurt!

Please read this thread when considering swing advice from me.

@Diego Verbeke

I recommend sticking with the advice given by @iacas and @mvmac. They are both excellent instructors. I am not sure what the above posting was suggesting you do, but it is very confusing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Anyones ideas are welcome, i think i get what you are saying. Boiling down to what savyswede said but also focusing on my shoulders. Although video drills would help.

I never quite noticed that i flipped my wrist. Untill you guys pointed it out. Thanks for that.

As for my grip, i think its in a good place in my hand, ie more fingers than palm but it do have the tendency to overgrip with my left hand. ? What a sport!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the swing again it's clear your arms are making the swing happen. Gotta get the body involved from the ground up. Try to take very short swings, and get power into it. You need to get the body moving a lot more and the arms moving a lot less. The goal is the have everything moving together. So basically if you swing properly you won't be able to get your arms that far away from you. Then when hit through the ball you won't flip your wrist because the body will be engaged. Before I said your left shoulder and that still applies, your core needs to get involved and the left shoulder needs to rotate the left arm going back. What I'm adding now is that you need to practice a much shorter move in which the feet and legs propel the shoulders and the arms do not move much. I don't think this is confusing.

Please read this thread when considering swing advice from me.

I'm trying to get more stable in my backswing and i kind of see and feel more stable. Flaring out the feet and keeping my head centered. But in the downswing i think my sequence is a bit messen up. Im constantly having shots leak to the right. Frustrating... Im also aware of the club overtaking my arms on the follow through but i can't get around the idea that my arms must swing out(straight after impact) but getting my clubhead square... Any ideas?

Note: This thread is 1491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!