IGNORED

New Tesla Model 3 only 35k?

Jeremie Boop
Note: This thread is 3042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, jamo said:

Maserati?

Yeah, that's it.  I'll learn it one day. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, mchepp said:

Electric car range is not as simple as saying you will get 240 miles. Many factors including how cold it is, whether or not you use the heater/ac, the type of driving you do (going 75 on the freeway is not even close to the same as going 30 on a side street). Every mile is not created equally. 

I was told when I bought the Leaf that I would get 100. Not really. Mostly I would get 80ish and if I used the heater and drove 70mph I would go down to somewhere in the 60s. 

The real issue with electric cars will be what happens as the battery degrades. Tesla does some inventive technology to cool the batteries but it is still a question. Specifically if you live in a hot place like Phoenix. If you plan to lease then you are fine, but if you plan to own the car for 6-7 years it could become a big issue for you.

As for the range, per the article they are stating that the target 200 is real world miles not optimum condition miles. Though, the battery degradation is a good point to think about.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

3 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

As for the range, per the article they are stating that the target 200 is real world miles not optimum condition miles. Though, the battery degradation is a good point to think about.

From their Warranty on their Model's

Your vehicle’s Battery is covered under this Battery Limited Warranty for a
period of 8 years or for the number of miles/km specified below for your Battery configuration,
whichever comes first:
• 60 kWh - 125,000 miles (200,000 km)
• 85 kWh - unlimited miles/km
Despite the breadth of this warranty, damage resulting from intentional abuse (including
intentionally ignoring active vehicle warnings), a collision or accident, or the servicing or opening of
the Battery by non-Tesla personnel, is not covered under this Battery Limited Warranty.
In addition, damage resulting from the following activities are not covered under this Battery
Limited Warranty:
• Exposing the vehicle to ambient temperatures above 140°F (60°C) or below -22°F (-30°C) for
more than 24 hours at a time;
• Physically damaging the Battery, or intentionally attempting, either by physical means,
programming, or other methods, to extend (other than as specified in your owner
documentation) or reduce the life of the Battery;
• Exposing the Battery to direct flame; or,
• Flooding of the Battery.
The Battery, like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual energy or power loss with time and
use. Loss of Battery energy or power over time or due to or resulting from Battery usage, is NOT
covered under this Battery Limited Warranty.
See your owner documentation for important
information on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Battery.

Basically you have to prove your battery lost power at a significantly higher rate than what is acceptable. 

It's a pretty decent warranty I think for a battery. 

Also, Telsa will sell you spare batteries. So if you want to do that drive that long trip, you can replace your battery and keep going. At least that is what I heard.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

From their Warranty on their Model's

Basically you have to prove your battery lost power at a significantly higher rate than what is acceptable. 

It's a pretty decent warranty I think for a battery. 

Also, Telsa will sell you spare batteries. So if you want to do that drive that long trip, you can replace your battery and keep going. At least that is what I heard.

That's a pretty good warranty there. Sounds like they really stand behind their product, which is good. Makes it even more reason to give it more thought. Thanks for the info.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

It's a bit pricey, but at the same time it's pretty much in line with what I see most people pay for a nice vehicle. I would expect, even at it's entry level, it's going to have more amenities than the average entry level car.

True enough, but is that assuming they won't just be charging them at home? With a 200+ mile range it would be awfully strange to run out of charge if you just use it to commute or driving around town. I can see how it would be quite the pain if you forgot to charge up and get stuck in town somewhere though.

I've had an electric car for two years now, and though it only gets 60-70 miles per "tank," this has never happened. And we don't plug it in all the time. Once a week, sometimes a bit more, in the summer. It's not difficult.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I've had an electric car for two years now, and though it only gets 60-70 miles per "tank," this has never happened. And we don't plug it in all the time. Once a week, sometimes a bit more, in the summer. It's not difficult.

I'm much less concerned about how long a charge lasts for daily driving, my main concern is I can't justify purchasing a car that I can't take on longer trips. But Jamo did make a good point, that not everyone has access to a good way of charging the car. A lot of houses and apartments in town only have curbside parking that would require someone running an extension cord out from the house\apartment to the car which is far less than ideal. That's just something extra for a potential buyer to consider. Regardless, I think it is pretty great that they are releasing something at this price range that would be attainable to more of the common person. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Can anyone speak to the cost of electricity to charge these things at your house?  Particularly for you SoCal folks--electric prices down there were almost as bad as Hawaii. 

How much do you actually "save" assuming you drive 300 miles/week (a "tank" for a typical gasoline car commuting)?  At current prices, you're paying roughly $100/month for gas (300 miles/week, $1.75/gal, 20 MPG).  How does that translate into electricity consumption assuming you charge your car at home?  And what do the batteries cost?  I'm just wondering what the apples-to-apples cost comparison is so you can decide whether the hassle is worth it. 

(And it gets even more complicated with tiered pricing for electricity, etc.  Assuming you get home from work at 6:00pm in the summer, and plug in right when you get home, that charge is going to cost you double in some markets?)

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

5 minutes ago, k-troop said:

Can anyone speak to the cost of electricity to charge these things at your house?  Particularly for you SoCal folks--electric prices down there were almost as bad as Hawaii. 

How much do you actually "save" assuming you drive 300 miles/week (a "tank" for a typical gasoline car commuting)?  At current prices, you're paying roughly $100/month for gas (300 miles/week, $1.75/gal, 20 MPG).  How does that translate into electricity consumption assuming you charge your car at home?  And what do the batteries cost?  I'm just wondering what the apples-to-apples cost comparison is so you can decide whether the hassle is worth it.

California is averaging 17-18 cents per kilowatt hour. 300 miles a week. If you are just using the Standard 110V 12 amp wall socket then it will take you 92 minutes to charge your vehicle at $16. 

It would cost you about $20-25 dollars to fill up a normal car. So about $4 per fill up savings. Though not sure how long the Saudi's are going to hold oil prices down ;-)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, k-troop said:

(And it gets even more complicated with tiered pricing for electricity, etc.  Assuming you get home from work at 6:00pm in the summer, and plug in right when you get home, that charge is going to cost you double in some markets?)

When I owned my car I did not charge much at home. 1 or 2 times on the weekend mostly. It did add to my electric bill. Probably $30 or so dollars. Mostly because our home was very efficient before the car, and therefore in a very low tier, once we got the car we jumped up 2 tiers. If at your home you have a pool or a really big house with a bunch of kids and you run your washer dryer often and are therefore in a high tier already it won't have much of an effect. My friend told me it added less than $10, he has a pool, 3 kids, etc.

In reality whether or not you can charge your car at your job will be an enormous factor in your decision to buy the car. At my old job there were 6 of us who owned a electric car and we all charged everyday on a 240V which took about 5 hours. My boss who was the CEO told me that the lab they had on site drew a massive amount of electricity and the 6 charging stations he added was less than $2 a month to their electric bill. He said it was the best investment in his employees that he has ever made. He later bought a Tesla and was a user of the electricity. Some companies charge a very nominal fee, but it doesn't cost them much versus the electricity they are already using for labs, copiers, lights, computers, etc. If you can charge at work your expense for "gas" goes to zero. 

Michael

Note: This thread is 3042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!