IGNORED

New TRUE Linkswear Elements Shoe

Note: This thread is 2533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 3/25/2016 at 7:53 PM, iacas said:

They've been great shoes, and I wear almost nothing BUT TRUE shoes in my day-to-day life (except when I play soccer, and when I mow the yard, because then they'd get grass stained).

This struck me as funny, because I use a pair of "retired" TRUE Tours specifically for mowing the yard...our yard has a significant slope in one area so I needed something comfortable but with a bit of traction.  They're perfect for that purpose.

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 8:49 PM, saevel25 said:

Well, I found an issue with cleaning my shoe. 

I think it's a combo of walking in them and cleaning them. The area of the shoe that creases when you walk, do the rolling of the weight from the back of the foot to the toes, has formed a hole when I tried to clean my shoes this evening. This is only the 2nd time I tried to clean my shoes. 

IMG_0458.JPG

That V shape area that sits underneath the top mesh layer is where my shoe creases when I walk. While I was scrubbing tonight with the oxyclean I saw that this hole formed in the top layer mesh layer of the shoe. 

I highly recommend that those who want to clean these shoes do not scrub them. Also, I would watch for any wear in the top mesh layer in areas that bend a lot when you walk. 

I seem to be getting a wear spot (I wouldn't call it a hole at this point) in the same area.  I'll update if it gets worse.  I did use Oxyclean once but it was just the solution with a paper towel - I wouldn't think I scrubbed it hard enough to do any damage. Overall, the mesh seems somehow thinner than when I first got the shoes and it still has a brownish tint I can't seem to get out.

Has anyone had any luck cleaning theirs?

• Administrator
On June 23, 2016 at 10:09 AM, drmevo said:

I seem to be getting a wear spot (I wouldn't call it a hole at this point) in the same area.  I'll update if it gets worse.  I did use Oxyclean once but it was just the solution with a paper towel - I wouldn't think I scrubbed it hard enough to do any damage. Overall, the mesh seems somehow thinner than when I first got the shoes and it still has a brownish tint I can't seem to get out.

Your shoes will wear out in this spot and a hole will form.

They'll "take care of you" but that will just mean sending another pair of shoes that may wear in the same way in the same spot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Is this in actual flaw/defect in the shoes?  Or is it just that if you clean/scrub them too aggressively, you can damage them?

- John

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Is this in actual flaw/defect in the shoes?  Or is it just that if you clean/scrub them too aggressively, you can damage them?

People who don't scrub the shoes still get the holes. The plastic cover doesn't like to flex. It seems to wear out.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

People who don't scrub the shoes still get the holes. The plastic cover doesn't like to flex. It seems to wear out.

That kind of sucks. I was leaning towards getting a pair of these but I don't want them falling apart prematurely.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

54 minutes ago, iacas said:

They'll "take care of you" but that will just mean sending another pair of shoes that may wear in the same way in the same spot.

Thanks for the info - I was afraid of that.  I guess once mine wear out I'm done with True. Seems like they are unable to make a shoe free from defects these days.  

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, billchao said:

That kind of sucks. I was leaning towards getting a pair of these but I don't want them falling apart prematurely.

I'll write to them about this soon.

See what they have to say.

I wrote True and they said they are seeing these issues in some but not all shoes, so they haven't done anything to fix the design.  They are sending me another pair.  I figured I might as well get a fresh pair to at least get me through the season. 

Also, they said there are new shoes coming out in August. I didn't really want to wait that long, especially since last time when my Motions were defective they said I could wait for the new models and it ended up being much longer than they said before they were released.  

14 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Also, they said there are new shoes coming out in August. I didn't really want to wait that long, especially since last time when my Motions were defective they said I could wait for the new models and it ended up being much longer than they said before they were released.  

At some point it's not good enough to crank out new models. Their customers are going to lose confidence in them (if they haven't already) if they continue to produce products that are defective.

I've got a pair of the Motions that we got at the NC last year and a pair of PHXes that I bought on super clearance a few months ago. I like both shoes a lot, but I don't think I'd spring for a new model right now. Not until they can prove I won't have to replace them in five months. I've had my Nikes for five years and they're still going strong.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

image.jpegFor the sake of comparison, here's my 3 month old shoe on the left and the new one on the right.  You can actually see the hole on the old shoe from this distance.  

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

image.jpegFor the sake of comparison, here's my 3 month old shoe on the left and the new one on the right.  You can actually see the hole on the old shoe from this distance.  

This is enough to convince me to pass on these. I guess I'll have to see what else is out there.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

TRUE has lost their way IMO. I still wear my Sensei's and after many cycles through the washing machine still look new if not for slight sole wear. Of course not water proof but I have two pair each of the Tour, PHX and Stealth. My 4 yr old shoes look better than the 3 month old shoes above.

Dave :-)

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm reviving this thread since it's definitely time for me to replace my True Motions. I played yesterday in mild dew and my feet were soaked by the third hole.

Any update on the wear spot in the Elements? For folks who received replacement shoes, did they also wear out?

I'm trying to decide if I should stick with True (the only golf shoe I've used for years now), or just forget it and switch to Footjoy spikeless (ProSL) or something else that hasn't had the quality issues that True has had.

- John

56 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Well, I'm reviving this thread since it's definitely time for me to replace my True Motions. I played yesterday in mild dew and my feet were soaked by the third hole.

Any update on the wear spot in the Elements? For folks who received replacement shoes, did they also wear out?

I'm trying to decide if I should stick with True (the only golf shoe I've used for years now), or just forget it and switch to Footjoy spikeless (ProSL) or something else that hasn't had the quality issues that True has had.

My replacements developed the exact same holes. I would avoid unless true is willing to replace your leaking motions for free. They are comfy, and so far, despite the holes, waterproof.

11 minutes ago, drmevo said:

My replacements developed the exact same holes. I would avoid unless true is willing to replace your leaking motions for free. They are comfy, and so far, despite the holes, waterproof.

Thanks!

This is why I'm torn (no pun intended). I have no doubt they'd be the most comfortable of my options, but it's tough to buy something when you know it's going to develop holes (even if they don't impact the waterproofing).

Ugh. Maybe I'll go try on some other options at a local store and see how they feel.

- John

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Thanks!

This is why I'm torn (no pun intended). I have no doubt they'd be the most comfortable of my options, but it's tough to buy something when you know it's going to develop holes (even if they don't impact the waterproofing).

Ugh. Maybe I'll go try on some other options at a local store and see how they feel.

They do impact the waterproofing. I think that plastic layer on the outside is the waterproofing. I think they figure the holes are small enough to let air through but too small for water to penetrate (surface tension, etc.). But they get dirty really quickly, too, so more than air is passing through.

Supposedly they had a second model coming out soon. I'll follow up with them on that.

I just ordered a pair of Puma's (Faas Lite), 2015 model. They were the best-reviewed spikeless shoes that I found with zero-heel-drop (and waterproof). 

If they are noticeably less comfortable than my True's, I'll return them and just go with the Elements, flaws and all. Maybe since I don't play very often, the wear won't be an issue.

- John

Note: This thread is 2533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!