IGNORED

Clean ALL the damn snow off your car!

DaveP043
Note: This thread is 3013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

39 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't know about any of the other places on the list, I was just amazed at the gap between the #2, with 120 inches on average, and Michigan Tech, with about 200 inches.  

And apparently I need to work on my reading skills.  They mentioned Oswego along with Syracuse.  After growing up in Western NY and going to school in Oswego, I think I'm just touchy when I see Ithaca in any "bad winter" list.  It's really not bad here at all.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Obviously don't get much snow down here but we DO get it once or twice a season. The lack of common sense in driving is apparent plenty but even those I have come to know as sensible folks drive with snow on car in city roads and much worse and dangerously - on expressways.

This is where I don't miss my winters up in UMass.   

Vishal S.

On March 4, 2016 at 10:02 AM, DaveP043 said:

I'm going to rant for a bit. Here in Virginia we've had a little bit of snow overnight, hopefully our last of the spring. Driving to work today, I noticed what I always notice, drivers who are too damn lazy to clear all the snow from their cars. I went to college at the snowiest university in the US, and one thing I learned was to clean the entire car. We had snow typically between 4 and 7 days a week, and we always cleaned ALL the snow. That's the right thing to do.

Here's the thing. First you need to see, just like every other day. So clean the ENTIRE window in front, on the sides, in the back. Not just where the wipers go, clean the whole damn thing. While you're at it, clean the headlights and taillights, so we can see YOU. Clean your hood, so the snow doesn't blow off and blind you while you're driving. Clean your roof, so the snow doesn't slide forward and cover your windshield as you come to a stop. Is there anything left? Nope, that's it, the entire car.

Here's the reason I care. If you can't see out properly, and I can't see you, it puts ME in danger. Yet another way you might put me in danger is a few days after the snow. That snow you left on your roof, it might thaw a bit and refreeze, and become a big flat chunk of ice. Now you're going 60 mph down the highway, the wind gets under the ice, and flips it in the air. If that lands on MY windshield, I can't see. It can even break my windshield. We had over a dozen windshields broken in this area in a single day.

OK, rant over. I've avoided calling anyone names, or labeling them as stupid or lazy. I don't really need to make it any clearer, do I?

Cabin fever...?  :-P

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just now, David in FL said:

Cabin fever...?  :-P

Hey, I don't need any backtalk from anyone who lives where it NEVER snows!!!  :censored:

and....yes, of course!  :-P

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

7 hours ago, Zeph said:

I always remove snow from all windows and what I can from roof, hood etc.

Here's a photo from a couple of weeks ago. The driver was also under the influence.

o8RU5l8O8cADoRt8E58RcAWbjhoqsCrNDt8oZrMp

Not surprised looking at the condition of the vehicle. :-D

I lived in Ithaca NY at Cornell, and my parents made me plug in the car and de-ice all the windows every morning. It was a lot of work. When my grandparents offered to take me in I went almost immediately to Berkeley CA. . . within a week. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What I really enjoy is dodging giant sheets of ice flying off semi trucks.

Seriously, if you lived in the UP of Michigan @DaveP043, certainly you've been in snow where it doesn't matter how much you clear off your vehicle. But the time you've cleared the driver side, the passenger side is covered again and vice versa. At some point you just say "screw it" and head home.

But I understand the rant. I'm one of those guys who will go around my car twice making sure all the windows, hood, roof, mirrors, headlights, tail lights and license plate are all cleared.

My pet peeve is for those who refuse to turn their headlights on when it's snowing and then drive way faster than they should on bad roads.

Jon

Dave I thought of you when I saw this picture posted on another board - it is reportedly from the snow storm last night in the Keweenaw Peninsula.
Thought it would make you miss the UP (not)

tgmU8dksTl6JCKrTFRtq_WP_20160317_07_01_2

Players play, tough players win!

YES - this drives me crazy.  SUV's are the worst...it seems like nobody actually cleans off the roof.  Although I guess it could actually be difficult for some people to reach, I feel like it's dangerous enough that you do what you have to do to get it.

Also, I've traveled a lot for work, and I feel like Virginia is one of the worst states ever in terms of dealing with snow (for a place that actually gets at least one snowfall a winter).  6" of snow and Richmond shuts down for days.

- John

Note: This thread is 3013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!