IGNORED

cincinnati reds

GolfClubbas
Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 hours ago, GolfClubbas said:

how does everybody think the reds are gonna do this year? i think they will do better than last year but still not great

I believe they will have a better year this round, as last year had its issues. Even though, I'm actually an Indians fan, being a transplant from Cleveland. I am hoping they have a better year too.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, GolfClubbas said:

how does everybody think the reds are gonna do this year? i think they will do better than last year but still not great

They will probably end up in the bottom half of the NL. Something like 15-20 games under .500. 

4 hours ago, Dave325 said:

I believe they will have a better year this round, as last year had its issues. Even though, I'm actually an Indians fan, being a transplant from Cleveland. I am hoping they have a better year too.

Cleveland is projected to win the Central. Their pitching staff is legit. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to wait until we have pitchers in regular-season mode before I actually slit my wrists, but I'm figuring on a really bad one.

The bullpen ought to scare the poop out of anyone that roots for the Reds. You have a couple of youngsters in the starting rotation and there isn't much of a safety net for them. There are a couple of hitters in the lineup (Votto, Mesoraco, Phillips) but some real serious holes as well. The outfield, in general, is a concern. Not sure what they'll get out of LF. I'm not optimistic about Bruce and Billy Hamilton is essentially a second pitcher in the lineup.

Seriously, however bad it gets, let's just hope the club is stronger at the end of the year than it will be at the beginning.

I use to be a Cincinnati fan but baseball has lost its luster for me.  I'm tired of the four hour games and 162 game season.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I use to be a Cincinnati fan but baseball has lost its luster for me.  I'm tired of the four hour games and 162 game season.   

I don't see what worrying about 162 games does. You don't have to watch them all, and can get by watching maybe half. I thin it's just not liking the sport, because it's not like cutting it to 154 or 148 or something would mean a shorter season. Instead, I think they'd just up the number of off days. As for the time complaint, it's uncommon for 4 hours to happen anymore. An extremely quick search had games under 3 hours, on average (a late-May article had them at 2:53).

Now, the Reds? They're bad. The bullpen is built on hopes and dreams and not too much proof. Homer Bailey is listed as their #1, but even if he's healthy and competent, he's more of a #3/4 on a respectable team. Iglesias might be their REAL best starter, but he's still unproven and was more of a #2 at his best last season. DeSclafani might be the #2, but that might also be a bit generous for him (though he had nice rate stats). The offensive really is a hole, though.

Cincy needed to get rid of Phillips, since the team won't compete. He won't end up making a bit of difference. Votto's almost all there is on offense, in a way. Hamilton's fast, but that's about it. Cozart's bat MIGHT be league average, with better luck and contact quality.  I like Mesoraco, but he's really hard to peg right now (how much of last season was playing hurt vs. just being bad?).

They might be better than the Brewers, but the Reds are ultimately fighting to be #4 in the division. It's a steep drop-off after the top-3.

For me, baseball is something I listen to more than watch. I put the game on in the background while I'm working. I honestly can't remember the last time I sat and watched a full game on television.

14 hours ago, Lilfrier said:

Cincy needed to get rid of Phillips, since the team won't compete. He won't end up making a bit of difference. Votto's almost all there is on offense, in a way. Hamilton's fast, but that's about it. Cozart's bat MIGHT be league average, with better luck and contact quality.  I like Mesoraco, but he's really hard to peg right now (how much of last season was playing hurt vs. just being bad?).

The Reds tried real hard to get rid of Phillips. They had a deal all worked out with the Nats, but BP nixed it. He has a no trade clause and chose to use it for whatever reason. Sort of seems like something that could blow up in his face, but we'll see.

After some real light hitting in past years, Cozart was looking real good up to the point of his injury last year. Not going to hold my breath, but he might yet have something for us.

Mesoraco only played 23 games last year before he got hurt. If he's healthy, he gets the benefit of my doubt.

6 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

For me, baseball is something I listen to more than watch. I put the game on in the background while I'm working. I honestly can't remember the last time I sat and watched a full game on television.

The Reds tried real hard to get rid of Phillips. They had a deal all worked out with the Nats, but BP nixed it. He has a no trade clause and chose to use it for whatever reason. Sort of seems like something that could blow up in his face, but we'll see.

After some real light hitting in past years, Cozart was looking real good up to the point of his injury last year. Not going to hold my breath, but he might yet have something for us.

Mesoraco only played 23 games last year before he got hurt. If he's healthy, he gets the benefit of my doubt.

I think Phillips just seems to care more about comfort than a ring, or he just hates the clubhouse issues Washington's had. Mesoraco, I agree on, as it's hard to knock a guy who was probably playing hurt, especially over such a short period.

On that same note, it's hard to give Cozart too much credit for 53 games that were more not-terrible than actually good. His on-base is still atrocious, and his slugging was carrying his line. Maybe if he can get some better luck/contact quality, the BABIP can get him hitting close to .270. That would present a solid hitter. However, his career line of .245/.284/..375 is incredibly bad.

10 hours ago, Lilfrier said:

On that same note, it's hard to give Cozart too much credit for 53 games that were more not-terrible than actually good. His on-base is still atrocious, and his slugging was carrying his line. Maybe if he can get some better luck/contact quality, the BABIP can get him hitting close to .270. That would present a solid hitter. However, his career line of .245/.284/..375 is incredibly bad.

At this point, you try to take hope where you can find it.

Kind of frustrating when you are rebuilding but the youngsters are still some time away from being major-league ready.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!