IGNORED

Technology?

Note: This thread is 2937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont know bout the rest of you, but im pretty sick of being bombarded by the industry with all this so called new technology! Are the clubs out there that can help us, sure, but that help is so minimal that most of us will never even notice. I saw a video of a pga pro hitting drivers from today, the 80's, and the 30's, the distance gaps were very minimal, the biggest change in golf has been the ball, that was the conclusion of the test. For me, i no longer play with these adjustable clubs, i do too much tinkering going by whats working for me that day, then tomorrow comes and i end up adjusting again, idk i think i just rather have an old school driver, then when its not going right i know its me. Now, there is something that will help us dramatically, being fit for the right shaft! when you do get fit, go in warmed up, and try to honestly swing like you would on the tee box, so, if your tendency is to swing for the fences then go for it, and let them keep giving you shafts till you find one that can handle what your trying to do! Go through as many as you can, try different flexes, torque, tip stiffness, etc. and make them explain each one to you, they will tire of you, but thats because their so accustomed to throwing stock stuff in peoples hands and sending them on their way, knowing you will be back soon because you probably wont find the results your looking for. I say, your paying for that fitting, why not put thier expertise to the test! Never lose site of the fact that they're salespeople and want that commission. I've gone a few times for fittings and i'm sure they hate me because i tell them straight up, look, i'm paying $50-$125 for this fitting, i wanna be fit right, and no, i will not be purchasing from you, things are generally half the cost online! Or even more than half! For instance, for my set, with my set-up, shafts, lie, grips, etc. they want like $1,800, lol! I'm in just over $600 online! Also, if your being fit for irons, ask to hit more shots on lie board, hopefully we all know now that those mats can lie to us, i find the lie board helps me at least feel like there are going to be consequences for a mis-hit. I also would say, for a lot of people, we're going way too light with our clubs, i think unless you have a really slow swing speed, excellent rythym, maybe physical limitations, go heavier, i got caught up in the frenzy too! And my game suffered. I've since gone back to heavier shafts and its a world of difference! Anyway, guess my bottom line is, dont be a sucker, get fit, and if needed get some lessons!  Now im sure theres gonna be some moderator or something who chimes in here with some chart or something, they always seem to, but im talking from real world experience, and my only intention is to help my fellow golfers out! I care less about your charts and graphs and standardized garbage, golf is an individual game and we all have idiosyncrasies and tendencies that are our own!

I think if you hurry you can still edit your post to add paragraphs.

9 minutes ago, daa1969 said:

I saw a video of a pga pro hitting drivers from today, the 80's, and the 30's, the distance gaps were very minimal, the biggest change in golf has been the ball, that was the conclusion of the test.

That is as far as I got.

Technology does not necessarily help someone who hits the sweet spot every time, man. It helps the 15 handicapper though.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am more in favor of personal results than technology. Technology usually comes with a way out of line price tag, and false promises for some. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

After decades of never being fit, I decided to go to the Callaway Performance Center and do it right for my soon to be retired set.  I knew that my current set was not right for me, but I muddled through.  I tried a lot of clubs before I even showed up so I at least had a little idea.  My biggest concern was getting the right length and lie in a club that would suit my ever diminishing swing speed.  It was a great experience and they were not pushing me to buy anything from them, it was more... here are our recommendations.  Of course the recommendations were their clubs.

Some of what you say depends on where you are on the food chain and realistic expectations.  Life and golf has become increasingly more enjoyable for me with the less likelihood to be KOM.  YMMV.

John

I think you have to recognise that technology is definitely helping, but just be aware that you're not going to gain 5 yards with every new driver, every year. But, were you to buy new drivers 10 years apart, I'm pretty sure you'd notice the difference. 

For example, I reckon I'd definitely notice better with TaylorMade's M1 (2015) compared to 2005's R5 Dual, but vs. 2014's R15 or the 2013's SLDR, I'm probably getting very marginal gains. It depends how often you want to chop and change. Personally, I'm very happy with my middle of the road Callaway X2 Hot and know that it suits my eye, feel and ear. Plus, I get good distance with it. I'll probably look for something else in 3 years or so, when it hits the 5 year old mark, but for the moment, I'm fine.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

On 4/5/2016 at 6:25 PM, daa1969 said:

I dont know bout the rest of you, but im pretty sick of being bombarded by the industry with all this so called new technology! Are the clubs out there that can help us, sure, but that help is so minimal that most of us will never even notice. 

Depends on the driver you currently have versus the one you are being fitted for. Also, there has been great strides in CG placement and forgiveness across the clubface. Centered strikes are nearly identical as they were 10 years ago. Off-center hits are much more forgiving. So on average you are gaining distance. Driver design has helped better players more than amateurs I would say in terms of being able to get fit for a high swing speed. Still, the change in CG over the past 6 years have helped all golfers if you get fit. 

For me, i no longer play with these adjustable clubs, i do too much tinkering going by whats working for me that day, then tomorrow comes and i end up adjusting again, idk i think i just rather have an old school driver, then when its not going right i know its me.

Then you are using the adjustable driver incorrectly. It should be a set it and forget it. It's a fine tuning mechanism not a day to day change thing. 

I've gone a few times for fittings and i'm sure they hate me because i tell them straight up, look, i'm paying $50-$125 for this fitting, i wanna be fit right, and no, i will not be purchasing from you, things are generally half the cost online! 

Not if you are buying new clubs. You rarely find new clubs at half the cost. Most places will not fit you for older models because golf companies will not do custom clubs for older models. You would have to just get lucky in finding the one you want off the shelf. Now you might find an older model that is very similar to the newer model you are fit for. So in that regard you can get some discount. 

Usually you are only buying stock that is in the golf store. Also, a lot of places will wave the fitting fee if you buy the club that day. 

Anyway, guess my bottom line is, dont be a sucker, get fit, and if needed get some lessons! 

I agree 100% 

Now im sure theres gonna be some moderator or something who chimes in here with some chart or something, they always seem to, but im talking from real world experience, and my only intention is to help my fellow golfers out! I care less about your charts and graphs and standardized garbage, golf is an individual game and we all have idiosyncrasies and tendencies that are our own!

This is a strange comment. You will find that this forum has some of the best moderators out there. They are very lenient with allowing people to express their opinions as long as the discussion is civil. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 4/5/2016 at 3:25 PM, daa1969 said:

I dont know bout the rest of you, but im pretty sick of being bombarded by the industry with all this so called new technology! Are the clubs out there that can help us, sure, but that help is so minimal that most of us will never even notice. I saw a video of a pga pro hitting drivers from today, the 80's, and the 30's, the distance gaps were very minimal, the biggest change in golf has been the ball, that was the conclusion of the test. For me, i no longer play with these adjustable clubs, i do too much tinkering going by whats working for me that day, then tomorrow comes and i end up adjusting again, idk i think i just rather have an old school driver, then when its not going right i know its me. Now, there is something that will help us dramatically, being fit for the right shaft! when you do get fit, go in warmed up, and try to honestly swing like you would on the tee box, so, if your tendency is to swing for the fences then go for it, and let them keep giving you shafts till you find one that can handle what your trying to do! Go through as many as you can, try different flexes, torque, tip stiffness, etc. and make them explain each one to you, they will tire of you, but thats because their so accustomed to throwing stock stuff in peoples hands and sending them on their way, knowing you will be back soon because you probably wont find the results your looking for. I say, your paying for that fitting, why not put thier expertise to the test! Never lose site of the fact that they're salespeople and want that commission. I've gone a few times for fittings and i'm sure they hate me because i tell them straight up, look, i'm paying $50-$125 for this fitting, i wanna be fit right, and no, i will not be purchasing from you, things are generally half the cost online! Or even more than half! For instance, for my set, with my set-up, shafts, lie, grips, etc. they want like $1,800, lol! I'm in just over $600 online! Also, if your being fit for irons, ask to hit more shots on lie board, hopefully we all know now that those mats can lie to us, i find the lie board helps me at least feel like there are going to be consequences for a mis-hit. I also would say, for a lot of people, we're going way too light with our clubs, i think unless you have a really slow swing speed, excellent rythym, maybe physical limitations, go heavier, i got caught up in the frenzy too! And my game suffered. I've since gone back to heavier shafts and its a world of difference! Anyway, guess my bottom line is, dont be a sucker, get fit, and if needed get some lessons!  Now im sure theres gonna be some moderator or something who chimes in here with some chart or something, they always seem to, but im talking from real world experience, and my only intention is to help my fellow golfers out! I care less about your charts and graphs and standardized garbage, golf is an individual game and we all have idiosyncrasies and tendencies that are our own!

I'm all about technology bro what;s wrong with that? I am however kinda ironically a golf purist to some extent. Your correct about the balls they make a difference I hit a 300 yard drive 2 days ago with my 1989 tour model persimmon driver and a top flight, I can swing this club 106 mph though and I nailed it. The small head allows me to swing faster and when hit pure the solid wood and hard ceramic face produce fine tee shots on the screws!! We can learn a lot from older tech with it's smaller heads and centered mass so it's a plus to learn from and hit.

I'm looking for a sub 100 gram driver head to swing 120 mph myself. The smoother you can swing the better you can control it with power,while at the same time a heavier head will allow you to feel the head throughout your swing with slower head speed and more control.. I think golfers can adapt though and the future is super light.

Note: This thread is 2937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!