Emtee
Note: This thread is 2863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while and have read the posts regarding the issue, but I'd like to hear some personal experiences about rib fractures and your return to golf. 

Some background info:

-strained intercostal last year, took some weeks off and returned fine

-this year felt a sharper pain in late Feb, was diagnosed with a rib fracture in my 7th rib

-I'm about 7 weeks out from that injury and am dying to play, I may have hit 10,000 putts in the last 7 weeks

-does anyone have any advice for returning to golf? When/how?

-my friends are playing at one of my favorite CC's on the 23rd and I'd really love to play, I just don't want to rush it and ruin my summer

Edited by Emtee

6 minutes ago, Emtee said:

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while and have read the posts regarding the issue, but I'd like to hear some personal experiences about rib fractures and your return to golf. 

Some background info:

-this year felt a sharper pain in late Feb, was diagnosed with a rib fracture in my 7th rib

-I'm about 7 weeks out from that injury and am dying to play, I may have hit 10,000 putts in the last 7 weeks

-my friends are playing at one of my favorite CC's on the 23rd and I'd really love to play, I just don't want to rush it and ruin my summer

I'd bet your doctor does.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

I had a feeling id get a few of these responses. I'm looking for first person experiences regarding rib fractures and returning to golf. My doctor said 6 or so weeks, but I wanted to hear people's personal experiences. 

22 minutes ago, Emtee said:

Hi all,

Some background info:

Rib injuries are tricky with golf.  Obviously I'd follow your doctors direction but the real issue is pain management.  Did you fracture it playing golf?  I'd give it time to heal to the point where you no longer feel pain and then start back into golf slowly.  

I strained my intercostal 2 years ago and I tried to play too soon and ended up restraining it on a bunker shot.  Let us know what the doctor says.

Joe Paradiso

3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Rib injuries are tricky with golf.  Obviously I'd follow your doctors direction but the real issue is pain management.  Did you fracture it playing golf?  I'd give it time to heal to the point where you no longer feel pain and then start back into golf slowly.  

I strained my intercostal 2 years ago and I tried to play too soon and ended up restraining it on a bunker shot.  Let us know what the doctor says.

My doctor said it should be a 6-8 week thing. I go to PT, but I'm not sure how much that does since it's a fracture. I feel more or less 100% right now, it's more of a mental thing. I don't want to go back to square one. I'm thinking about chipping and pitching over these next 2 weeks. I feel a little timid right now to smash a 3i or driver 

Chipping and pitching would be a good test.  The problem is taking a full swing out of a bunker or bad lie could set you back so that's the risk you're taking.  

Joe Paradiso

4 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Chipping and pitching would be a good test.  The problem is taking a full swing out of a bunker or bad lie could set you back so that's the risk you're taking.  

It's also tough to know because I hit some balls before I was diagnosed with the fracture a few weeks ago, felt 100% then was in pain the next day and more so 2 days later

4 hours ago, newtogolf said:

And yes, I fractured it playing golf. I think what it comes down to is having a weak/tired serratus anterior and just being overly tired in general and pushing through. I know the feeling well now before an intercostals train or fracture happens and am going to look out for it. 

My doctor says minimum 5+ weeks. Add a full golf swing to the same injury, its going to be around 7-8 weeks to help reduce the chances of reinjury. You might  also be dealing with soft tissue damage. 

I had several broken ribs on my left side. Other injuries kept me from golf for 2+ years. After almost 5 years, I still feel those ribs in cooler weather. 

In reality, asking about medical advice on a non medical forum is like asking a fire bug to fill your gas tank up, while lighting a cigarette. Very little good can happen from it.  

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

58 minutes ago, Patch said:

My doctor says minimum 5+ weeks. Add a full golf swing to the same injury, its going to be around 7-8 weeks to help reduce the chances of reinjury. You might  also be dealing with soft tissue damage. 

I had several broken ribs on my left side. Other injuries kept me from golf for 2+ years. After almost 5 years, I still feel those ribs in cooler weather. 

In reality, asking about medical advice on a non medical forum is like asking a fire bug to fill your gas tank up, while lighting a cigarette. Very little good can happen from it.  

I didn't really mean to ask for medical advice, I guess it came off that way. I wanted to know people's time frames and stuff regarding golf because there's not a ton of info online. This Friday will be 7 weeks, so if I played it would be 8 weeks. I think I need to build up to a full round though. Also there was some soft tissue damage like I would imagine there would be in any rib fracture, but we've been handling that at PT, so all and all I feel pretty good. I'm back in the gym and everything I just feel like golf is a completely different animal and that 6-8 week timeframe doesn't really apply to it. I'm kind of shooting for 12 weeks as to not run into any issues this summer, or not set myself up for failure.

2 hours ago, Emtee said:

I had a feeling id get a few of these responses. I'm looking for first person experiences regarding rib fractures and returning to golf. My doctor said 6 or so weeks, but I wanted to hear people's personal experiences. 

It doesn't matter what the recovery was for other people. Recoveries vary by person. The doctor will give you the general idea of the time frame. Only routine visits to the doctor could you possible get a new timeframe. 

The worst thing you can do is push this. Don't injure yourself further just because you want to play a game. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It doesn't matter what the recovery was for other people. Recoveries vary by person. The doctor will give you the general idea of the time frame. Only routine visits to the doctor could you possible get a new timeframe. 

The worst thing you can do is push this. Don't injure yourself further just because you want to play a game. 

My fear is that it's gonna be with me for life. Ever since the initial intercostal strain I feel like it's never been the same. Also my doctor said that based on the last CT scan that it's very close to being healed, so I hope that's promising. I'm going to go discuss things with him on Friday. Maybe I'm overblowing this but his attitude seems to be that I'm going to be playing again pain free soon and I just can't see it for some reason. I was hoping for some success stories I guess.

The worst part of the entire ordeal is that my swing and ball striking has never been as good as it was. If I could just manage to get healthy I think I'd be in tremendous shape, everything really has been clicking with my swing over the last year or two it's really a shame that these things keep getting in the way.

Just now, Emtee said:

I was hoping for some success stories I guess.

Look at all the MLB players who come back from intercostal muscle strains or fracture ribs and play ball again. I don't forsee how this would be a life long issue. Something like a torn ACL in the knee maybe.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Look at all the MLB players who come back from intercostal muscle strains or fracture ribs and play ball again. I don't forsee how this would be a life long issue. Something like a torn ACL in the knee maybe.

I sure hope that's the case. I've been going to a really great sports PT clinic. Sometimes I feel like they overestimate my future as far as golf. They say I'll be back soon playing at 100% but even last year after that intercostal I would get sore easily and stuff, the ribs are just extremely tricky and it seems that there's no rhyme or reason to them. I guess the CT scan tells all though so hopefully everyone involved examined it throughly. I don't know if you know Brandt Snedekers situation, if not it's worth a quick read. It's crazy that this stuff follows him around and the lengths he has to go to stay healthy with his ribs.

3 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

BINGO! I used to be in a league with guy who could really play. Turns out he used to play on the local college team, and had aspirations of going to Q school. Then he suffered a rib injury. Being anxious to get back on the course, and thinking he knew more than the doctor (his words), he pushed it, and his ribs didn't really heal properly.

He was a big dude, like Ernie Els, and he could still move it pretty good with a sawed off, 2/3 backswing. But, he couldn't practice like you need to be a pro.

Ribs are weird,man! Sometimes nothing but time will heal them.

Edited by Buckeyebowman

1 minute ago, Buckeyebowman said:

BINGO! I used to be in a league with guy who could really play. Turns out he used to play on the local college team, and had aspirations of going to Q school. Then he suffered a rib injury. Being anxious to get back on the course, and thinking he knew more than the doctor (his words), he pushed it, and his ribs didn't really heal properly.

He was a big dude, like Ernie Els, and he could still move it pretty good with a sawed off, 2/3 backswing. But, he couldn't practice like you need to be a pro.

Ribs are weird,man! Sometimes nothing but time will heal them.

That's what I'm afraid I did, because I didn't get the diagnosis right away. I chalked it up to another intercostal, gave it some time felt better, played and then felt it the next day. I was diagnosed with a fracture after that. I've been patient and really taking it easy lately. You think that his didn't heal correctly because he never really took adequate rest?

Even if it's completely healed it doesn't mean that it's not susceptible to fracturing again.  I know you want to play at this country club your buddies are going to.  The question you have to answer is if this one round is worth the risk of not being able to play golf the entire spring and summer.  

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, Emtee said:

That's what I'm afraid I did, because I didn't get the diagnosis right away. I chalked it up to another intercostal, gave it some time felt better, played and then felt it the next day. I was diagnosed with a fracture after that. I've been patient and really taking it easy lately. You think that his didn't heal correctly because he never really took adequate rest?

All I know for sure is that he told me he didn't follow doctor's orders. Doc said no golf! He played golf. Jacked himself up for the rest of his life.

20 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

All I know for sure is that he told me he didn't follow doctor's orders. Doc said no golf! He played golf. Jacked himself up for the rest of his life.

I'm going to my doctor on Friday. I almost want to hear "no golf yet Mike." I'd rather hear that than "I think you're ready" when I have a feeling that I'm not. I really want to put this behind me once and for all. The thread doesn't really have to be about my situation, I want people to share their stories if they have them because they're kind of scattered around the forum/internet. I do appreciate the replies from everyone and if anyone has advice I'm open to it.

Note: This thread is 2863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!