IGNORED

Hello from a bush 10 yards in front of the first tee

UnfairWay
Note: This thread is 2894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can I have a mulligan ... ?

I'm a total beginner - I haven't even played a full 18 hole course yet. Just taken up golf at 31 having played other sports, especially rugby and cricket, my whole life. I'm really enjoying it, and definitely improving (from a base of zero) over my first 6 months / 1 year of playing, but Jesus Christ it's a difficult game! Got my first lesson booked in a week or so, I hope a few lessons early on should get me into good habits for the rest of my days, fingers crossed.

Looking forward to chatting golf with more experienced and knowledgeable people, although I'll tell you know I'll have a hell of a lot more questions than answers! Please be patient.

From London, UK. Mainly play at Dukes Meadows, a 9-hole par 3 course in Chiswick.

Welcome to golf, and welcome to TheSandTrap.  Every one of us here started from zero, just like you, and the game is still hard for all of us.  Personally, its the most fascinating, frustrating, addictive game I've ever played.  So bring on your questions and comments, and most of all, enjoy your time here and on the course!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, UnfairWay said:

I'm a total beginner - I haven't even played a full 18 hole course yet. Just taken up golf at 31 having played other sports, especially rugby and cricket, my whole life. I'm really enjoying it, and definitely improving (from a base of zero) over my first 6 months / 1 year of playing, but Jesus Christ it's a difficult game! Got my first lesson booked in a week or so, I hope a few lessons early on should get me into good habits for the rest of my days, fingers crossed.

Looking forward to chatting golf with more experienced and knowledgeable people, although I'll tell you know I'll have a hell of a lot more questions than answers! Please be patient.

From London, UK. Mainly play at Dukes Meadows, a 9-hole par 3 course in Chiswick.

It's OK to remove that bush - I think they call it a "loose impediment". 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I'm another late starter. I was 35 the first time I played and a total newb. Jacked up a 135 on a short course my first time out. Approaching five years on now.

Being on a tight budget and not being much of an athlete either, it's not been easy for me. None the less, couldn't imagine doing anything else with my downtime. 

4 hours ago, UnfairWay said:

Like your profile pic. Did you take that following us when I dunked my third ball in the water on the par 5 #16 Saturday?:-O

Welcome to the trap and the game. Have fun with your journey. 

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.

Any advice / pointers on what to look for in lessons and how to get the best out of them would be really useful. I used to be a teacher, so have a keen understanding that there's a world of difference between attending a class and learning from it.

16 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

Like your profile pic. Did you take that following us when I dunked my third ball in the water on the par 5 #16 Saturday?:-O

Welcome to the trap and the game. Have fun with your journey. 

Haha, no, although I'm sure it's not an uncommon sight on golf courses around the world!

Actually I wanted a picture that summed up my relationship with the game, so I googled "Golfer after a terrible shot" or something!

I'd say that if you have the money for it, go with the lessons. Ask around and get the best you can.

Having not had the cash for it, I've gone about it the hard way. It's been a slow boat to be sure. For that matter, a boat that might have a more limited voyage at that. 

Note: This thread is 2894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!