IGNORED

The long odds of nobody shooting 62 in a major

Aguirre
Note: This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why hasn't somebody shot 62 in a major?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Why hasn't somebody shot 62 in a major?

• Statistical anomaly
    • The mental aspect of golf
    • Combination of the two
    • Something else (specify in a post)

Majors are the tougher set ups in golf. 

I don't see that many 62s in a season, with 4 tournaments a month. With only 4 majors, the odds go way up. 

Someone will do it some day. Someone with an extremely hot putter for that day, playing on very receptive, player friendly greens. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Aguirre said:

I posted this thread a year and one week ago.

Yes you did! And I'm wondering how much time will pass before someone shoots 62 again...or...*gulp*....61!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:19 AM, Vinsk said:

Yes you did! And I'm wondering how much time will pass before someone shoots 62 again...or...*gulp*....61!

I'd guess a year or two and 3 or 4 weeks and we might see it challenged again

Augusta, .....
Shinnecock, Pebble, Winged Foot, Torrey Pines
Carnoustie, Royal Potrush, Royal St. George's, St. Andrews (unannounced, but likely for 150th)
Quail Hollow, Bellerive, Bethpage Black, TPC Harding Park

These guys hit it so long that the older (aka shorter) courses that rely on wind & weather for a defense will be at risk. The Masters will stimp their greens to 20 before they'd want to see another 63, let alone something lower.
The US Open, typically, makes the course very punitive with rough and fast greens (Erin Hills will push that even moreso)
The PGA isn't as difficultly setup as the US Open, but they play longer modern courses that will make it difficult to do
Leaving The Open, which on a calm day with a rain dampened course will be at risk of someone throwing darts

Players play, tough players win!

Note: This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!