IGNORED

Used 716 AP1's

Note: This thread is 2820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I'm on a limited budget but I can get a set of used 716 AP1's for under $600.

I was wondering if people thought it was worth the risk to buy them and then going to a fitter and having them modified, if needed, to fit my swing.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have you ever been fit? I would only buy them if they were close to what you actually need. For instance, are you standard length, because that would be a bigger change. Bending them 1-2* for lie isnt much of an issue, although I dont think the AP1 are forged like the AP2.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

15 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

So, I'm on a limited budget but I can get a set of used 716 AP1's for under $600.

I was wondering if people thought it was worth the risk to buy them and then going to a fitter and having them modified, if needed, to fit my swing.

There's a chance that this might actually make your purchase more expensive, if you needed different shafts or something.

If you're going to get fit, do the fitting first. You might not even end up with AP1s.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

Have you ever been fit? I would only buy them if they were close to what you actually need. For instance, are you standard length, because that would be a bigger change. Bending them 1-2* for lie isnt much of an issue, although I dont think the AP1 are forged like the AP2.

For irons, last year at a Titleist fitting they said I should get the AP1's with the XP 90 gram shaft with a +1/2.  This year I did another free open fitting and they said they wouldn't need to adjust the shaft but I don't remember what shaft they recommended. 

Just got fit for a driver last Thursday but i don't think that helps.

3 hours ago, billchao said:

There's a chance that this might actually make your purchase more expensive, if you needed different shafts or something.

If you're going to get fit, do the fitting first. You might not even end up with AP1s.

Scheduled a fitting for Saturday afternoon but who knows if the clubs will still be available then. 

Christian

Did you demo the AP1's alongside other irons? I think what Bill was saying is it's quite possible to find a new set of quality irons (that usually come with a free fitting) at the same price as the used AP1's without the fitting. Unless you have your heart set on those APs, in which case there's nothing wrong with getting exactly what you want.

Jon

7 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Did you demo the AP1's alongside other irons? I think what Bill was saying is it's quite possible to find a new set of quality irons (that usually come with a free fitting) at the same price as the used AP1's without the fitting. Unless you have your heart set on those APs, in which case there's nothing wrong with getting exactly what you want.

I hit whatever the current TM model was in the spring but really like the AP1's.

But I'll do a proper unbiased fitting and see what the results are as in both instances for iron fittings, it's been done by Titleist reps.

Christian

UGH, so tempted to pull the trigger, haha.

I wonder if I should buy them, go to the fitting, and then if they say I should get something totally different, turn around and sell them. 

Christian

4 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

UGH, so tempted to pull the trigger, haha.

I wonder if I should buy them, go to the fitting, and then if they say I should get something totally different, turn around and sell them. 

I don't know. Seems like a waste of time and effort to me if I had to do it, not to mention putting out money that I have to recoup (hopefully all of).

You seem dead set on AP1s though, for a while now. It almost seems like you're just posting these questions to get somebody to validate your mindset.

So I'll bite. Yes, you should buy them. :-P

Are you getting your fitting done by Titleist fitters that deal exclusively in Titleist equipment? Because I can tell you what irons you're probably going to get fit for :whistle:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don't know. Seems like a waste of time and effort to me if I had to do it, not to mention putting out money that I have to recoup (hopefully all of).

You seem dead set on AP1s though, for a while now. It almost seems like you're just posting these questions to get somebody to validate your mindset.

So I'll bite. Yes, you should buy them. :-P

Are you getting your fitting done by Titleist fitters that deal exclusively in Titleist equipment? Because I can tell you what irons you're probably going to get fit for :whistle:

Well, I almost pulled the trigger on a set for $490 on EBay today, haha.

I'm going to get fit on Saturday at a golf shop that has a variety of equipment, so, not an exclusive Titleist fitter.  They do free fittings so depending on what they say, I may buy the irons from them or get used irons and buy a hybrid from them because even though the fitting is free, provided I get good service, I do want to give them some business for their efforts.

Saturday isn't that far away and EBay will still be there, haha.

Christian

9 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

I'm going to get fit on Saturday at a golf shop that has a variety of equipment, so, not an exclusive Titleist fitter.  They do free fittings so depending on what they say, I may buy the irons from them or get used irons and buy a hybrid from them because even though the fitting is free, provided I get good service, I do want to give them some business for their efforts.

Just go in with an open mind and see what happens. I've done fittings in the past and come away with completely different clubs than the ones I went in thinking I was going to get.

Come to think of it, I can't think of the last time I did a fitting or demo day and ended up hitting the clubs that I liked most, best.

13 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Saturday isn't that far away and EBay will still be there, haha.

Yea, eBay is good like that. Great marketplace for people who made bad impulse buys to try and sell their stuff :-P

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Just go in with an open mind and see what happens. I've done fittings in the past and come away with completely different clubs than the ones I went in thinking I was going to get.

Come to think of it, I can't think of the last time I did a fitting or demo day and ended up hitting the clubs that I liked most, best.

Yeah, I am.  I mean, I'm really leaning towards getting the AP1's as you noted, but I'm open to what they'll suggest.  

That said, the two times I've hit them, I've loved how they feel but it shouldn't just be about that and the numbers should factor in.  Titleist has done a good job brainwashing me, though, haha.

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Yea, eBay is good like that. Great marketplace for people who made bad impulse buys to try and sell their stuff :-P

:-$

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Christian,

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. But get an unbiased non-swindling neutral fitting. I did it (not that it helped, just kidding). I received a gift certificate that covered the cost of mine. 

I'm not going to tell you to go play Exotics because it's what I play or go play AP1's because that's what you want... 

Go get a neutral fitting and get what fits you.

You hit it well... Hell you hit it as good as I do... You could... Probably pick up some Mizuno JPX-EZ forged from for around $400.... Just saying...

Note: If you knew what he had for irons, you'd know why he wants AP1's  

:-P

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

The simple question is what shaft comes in the irons.  Getting clubs tweaked a bit (lie, loft, shortening shaft) are easy, but that is not of much use if the shaft is wrong for you.  If you find the correct shaft for your game, then go ahead and buy the AP1's.  Yes, you may have better heads out there that suit your game (more forgiving, high launch etc) but if your shaft and swing are bringing the club to impact in the correct position, the head then has a much smaller impact.  For me, if you find the correct shafted AP1's, go for it.  But in order for that to be so, you really do need to go for a neutral fitting

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

6 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Christian,

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. But get an unbiased non-swindling neutral fitting. I did it (not that it helped, just kidding). I received a gift certificate that covered the cost of mine. 

I'm not going to tell you to go play Exotics because it's what I play or go play AP1's because that's what you want... 

Go get a neutral fitting and get what fits you.

You hit it well... Hell you hit it as good as I do... You could... Probably pick up some Mizuno JPX-EZ forged from for around $400.... Just saying...

:-P

I actually tried to do that last Saturday.

I went to a fitter and he asked me what I wanted and I told him I was leaning towards a particular set but that I wanted to be unbiased and to be strictly by the data as to what I hit best.

The problem was that I was so gassed from walking 18 Thursday and walking 18 Friday in the hottest points of the day.  By Saturday morning, I couldn't hit anything.  So, I scheduled for tomorrow but now that I think about it, I may cancel as I'm attempting to undergo a major swing change and getting fit for my current swing when I'm trying to change it may not be the best thing.

4 hours ago, pganapathy said:

The simple question is what shaft comes in the irons.  Getting clubs tweaked a bit (lie, loft, shortening shaft) are easy, but that is not of much use if the shaft is wrong for you.  If you find the correct shaft for your game, then go ahead and buy the AP1's.  Yes, you may have better heads out there that suit your game (more forgiving, high launch etc) but if your shaft and swing are bringing the club to impact in the correct position, the head then has a much smaller impact.  For me, if you find the correct shafted AP1's, go for it.  But in order for that to be so, you really do need to go for a neutral fitting

From that fitting last Saturday the guy told me I should I should get a heavier shaft (at the moment I don't recall the specs) but, as I mentioned above, the conditions under which I went to the fitting weren't how I regularly feel when I play 18 so I figure start again. 

Christian

9 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Is he still gaming those Walmart specials?

Bill

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, billchao said:

Is he still gaming those Walmart specials?

I don't actually own anything bought at Walmart that I'm aware of.

It was actually Sports Authority, IIRC. :-$

Anyway, primarily because I'm trying to make a major change to my swing, I cancelled the fitting for tomorrow.

Christian

Note: This thread is 2820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!