IGNORED

Another Brilliant GolfChannel Headline

rehmwa
Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it just me, but if we talk about 'Made' putts - then isn't there exactly 18 per round?

If we are just talking about putting, then wouldn't it be less putts is better?

either way, they are obtusely wrong

(One other thought is the Stat Putts per round could go up slightly whenever GIRs are improving because the average putt is longer - but I don't think they are that nuanced)

MWSnap 2016-07-26, 15_21_07.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you may be both right and wrong. There's limited space for these headlines so I think the 'first' or 'one' is kind of implied.

With more first putts made or more one-putts, total putts will go down as you say. Sloppy headlines like this might add to beginner confusion though.

Kevin

I know....I'm just being wry.

If you watch the clip, it pretty much boils down to "If he makes more putts instead of missing putts, his score will go lower"

I flash to John Madden sports reporting with the brilliance of this segment.

Bill - 

19 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

I know....I'm just being wry.

If you watch the clip, it pretty much boils down to "If he makes more putts instead of missing putts, his score will go lower"

I flash to John Madden sports reporting with the brilliance of this segment.

Gotcha. Yes - a fatuous segment to be sure. Gotta feed the content beast.

Kevin

This just in: shooting a lower score than everyone else translates into more wins.  We'll keep track of this story as it develops.  Back to you Jim...

Thanks Tom, now as I was saying, the secret to hitting it pure is to imagine you're holding a pencil between your butt cheeks while balancing an apple on your left shoulder...

• Upvote 2

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Not golf related but just as annoying for me is football (soccer) commentators saying "the first goal in this match is really important". It happens a lot. It's like there is a script of gap filling obvious statements that sports commentators read from.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not golf related but just as annoying for me is football (soccer) commentators saying "the first goal in this match is really important". It happens a lot. It's like there is a script of gap filling obvious statements that sports commentators read from.

I am pretty sure John Madden once said something like "Now what this team has to do to win is score more points than the other team."

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

I am pretty sure John Madden once said something like "Now what this team has to do to win is score more points than the other team."

I think he said that many times! 

We like to poke fun at media when they post/say blatantly obvious things. But it is not easy to come up with new and unique insight all the time.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I think he said that many times! 

We like to poke fun at media when they post/say blatantly obvious things. But it is not easy to come up with new and unique insight all the time.

Madden was a bit like Yogi Berra in that he said a lot of things I'm sure he thought were insightful as they rolled out of his mouth but didn't pass the test when he heard them back.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!