IGNORED

My Swing (Steven001)

Steven001
Note: This thread is 2733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Steven001 said:

I payed for a lesson with the head pro at my local golf range two weeks ago. He asked why I was there and I explained I was inconsistent and lost too many balls off the tea. He got me to hit two 8 irons and I hit them both straight - he laughed asked said "why are you here?" He then gave me a driver and watched it bend over 100 yards off course. Because I generate quite a lot  of club head speed, if I leave the face open the ball moves massively to the right. His advise was simply to roll my wrists over because impact. I tried that and hit a few good drives right up the back of the range. But I feel that surely it can't be a very consistent way to strike the ball well? How can I possibly time the wrist roll just right so that I don't leave the club face open or closed?

Relative to the target line, where does the ball start?

Because I'd guess it has more to do with the path than the clubface.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Relative to the target line, where does the ball start?

Because I'd guess it has more to do with the path than the clubface.

In most cases I would say the ball comes off the face initially towards the target, but then it swings to the right. 

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Steven001 said:

In most cases I would say the ball comes off the face initially towards the target, but then it swings to the right. 

Then it's way, way more about your path.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Your face is open to the path… but the path being well to the left is what is causing the big slice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been working on my extension through my swing but when looking at my recordings I'm still chicken winging quite bad, I think it's going to take a lot of hours doing drills to eliminate it.

I have started swinging with my Momentus Swing Trainer again to see if that helps. I can see in the recording that it's definitely helping me to eliminate my chicken wings and extend through the swing. 

I apologise for the state of my garden, I'm working on it! 

I went through a terrible phase for about two weeks there shanking everything from a 9 iron upwards. I didn't feel like I had changed much in my swing and I have no idea what caused it. I spent a few hours at the range trying to hit the ball off of the toe of the club to try and make me more aware of the clubface position at impact. It seems to have worked and I've got them under control again... for now! 

I've been swinging the momentus swing trainer every day now for the last 5 days. I'm going to make it a daily exercise, swining it 50 times per day to try and force me to extend my arms after impact and eliminate my chicken wings.  

I've still only managed to complete one of three full rounds to get my handicap  The course I play at is quite tough and it's very long. The first card I submitted was one of the worst scores I've ever got... 118. I lost about 7 balls throughout the round and I was ashamed. I will be happy if I can break 100 with my next two cards. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been playing pretty terrible recently, embarrassingly shooting rounds way into the 100's. Most of that is caused by lost balls off of the tea or long irons from the fairway. I know I am swinging over the top and I am still chicken winging... I just can't seem to stop it. I try to initiate the downswing with my hips, but I still end up swinging over the top and leaving the face open. Here's a few swings from today:

That drive swung at least 150 yards to the right. It went so far right it went onto the rough on the far side of the adjacent fairway. 

This second was a 9 iron into a short part three, caught the ball heavy but the ball faded onto the front of the green and spun back off. 

This third video was a 5 iron second shot on a par 5. I hit this one fat too and the result was another poor shot. 

I haven't been swinging the momentus swing trainer the last few weeks because I thought it might be damaging my swing (if that's possible!) I also haven't been hitting my driver off the tea recently either; I feel so uncomfortable standing behind it on the tea. 

rear.knee.gains.flex.jpg

I suggest fixing that first. 

As suggested previously, your hip action is suboptimal. 

Google:  deep hip turn golf 

Golf Instruction - Creating space with the pivot (by Brady Riggs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvOr5nNqYEw

HOGAN POWER MOVE by Shawn Clement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLTM9bfD54

Rear View Hip Awareness - Ben Hogan & Grant Waite (by Martin Chuck)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSnPrtA25gA

Note: This thread is 2733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!