Sign in to follow this  
dave s

Don't Remove Your Ball from the Hole with your Putter!

Note: This thread is 1579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 posts / 2484 viewsLast Reply

Played a round at a new course yesterday. Noticed something on every hole as I was removing my ball after holing out.  Had to fix the turf just inside and outside the circumference of the hole ... but only about 1/3 of the hole was affected.

After doing this 12 times in a row, the cause of damage dawned on me.  Somebody playing in front of our group was using a PUTTER to remove the ball from the hole causing damage to every hole on the course. Please don't be THAT GUY.  Lean over, extend your arm and remove the ball from the hole with your hand.

PSA over and out.

dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I seriously dislike that.  I've had at least 2 stern conversations with playing competitors over this.  If you REALLY can't bend over to pick up the ball... get one of those suction cup things to attach to the handle end of the club, but don't dig the ball out with the putter!

CY

Never seen that kind of damage and I have a 2-ball putter so I promise it wasn't me.  But, I have to admit to being kinda impressed when the caddies do it on the putting green.

I have on occasion used my putter to take a ball out of the hole.
I have never caused any damage.

I find more damage to the hole in terms odd breaks about a inch from the hole. This from all the yahoo's standing almost on the hole and leaving footprints.

Especially when my local course doesnt change the hole for an entire week!

28 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Never seen that kind of damage and I have a 2-ball putter so I promise it wasn't me.  But, I have to admit to being kinda impressed when the caddies do it on the putting green.

Don't they tend to do that with a wedge, since their player is usually holding the putter at the time? I think the wedge head tends to be a bit more conforming to the hole size, but may vary.

The guy that introduced me to golf routinely does this with his putter. For a brief period of time, I did as well.I'm perfectly capable of bending over, so I stopped this as soon as I heard it may cause damage, but honestly I've never seen it. Maybe its the sort of heavy plastic cups that my local courses use. I've not spent much time examining the hole after my buddy does it, but I've never noticed anything either.

18 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Don't they tend to do that with a wedge, since their player is usually holding the putter at the time? I think the wedge head tends to be a bit more conforming to the hole size, but may vary.

Yes, that's right.  They scoop it out and bounce it once into their hand.  Looks cool.  I can do this from the ground with my 60°, but I can't control the bounce to come directly back to me, I usually have to reach for the ball or miss it altogether.  Not a smooth move at all but I continue to try to be the cool kid, a never-ending endeavor.

There is a guy in our regular group who does this. Pure laziness. Every time he does it I walk up to hole and repair it to send him a clear message that I don't like it. After the second hole he seems me do it, he usually stops.

I hate it when people do that.  Just plain lazy is my guess.  If you can't bend over or crouch down to pick up the ball, maybe you shouldn't be swing a golf club?

Note: This thread is 1579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!