IGNORED

My Swing (deason)

deason
Note: This thread is 1131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 5 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 13

My typical ball flight is: straight/baby draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pull left, push right

Videos:

Currently working with a coach in the UK, but always open to opinions/critque (as its sensible here)

Key items I am working on is keeping left arm straight in takeaway, pelvic stability, abductor engagement, all to gain width and resistance. I tend to turn with my whole upper body and sway all over causing a dirty pull/hook.

• Administrator

I've moved your posts here. You seem to forget that you have My Swing threads and then start new ones. :)

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi @deason , backswing looks pretty good, I'd recommend you work on getting more weight forward on the downswing and speeding up the arms. You don't really transfer your weight forward and everything breaks down at impact, club head overtakes the hands at a fast rate.

Here are two drills for you to work on to help your impact alignments.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

@mvmac thanks, the weight shift is my next goal once my backswing is instinctively there, I have always spun my whole body thinking this added power...which turned into the flip!

Its having the right weight transfer but not moving the whole upper body, then getting those GRF you talk about.

What could I use like the ball the guys demonstrate under my left foot? Maybe a tennis ball?

@mvmac  thanks, the weight shift is my next goal once my backswing is instinctively there,

If @mvmac gives you a suggestion you should make it your "RIGHT NOW" goal, not your "once I'm ready" goal.  He wouldn't put it out there if it wasn't your priority.

Good luck.

@golfingdad Yeh I agree with you it is a priority, maybe I didn't write the appropriate wording for the situation, I had a really poor session on sunday where my swing started to slip back to its old pattern, I've got to work on this next session then of course work on the weight transfer. I work on my game mostly every two days so its not weeks away.

It's winter here too so its hard to hit balls every day...i'm not in sunny california remember ;) I wish i was though.

@JetFan1983 thanks dude....i have had to work hard on it...and that includes getting in the gym three times a week to strengthen.

I really also understand my swing now thanks to working with some great coaches and researching the swing intensely, i also understand when and why I'm slipping back to older habits.

Swing from tonight working on feeling much more solid ground force with my left side

I will do some side on video over the weekend as its really poor lighting on my driving range.

I would be more concerned with the width of the right arm rather than the left arm. The downswing looks better with the left knee but your right arm position at the top of the backswing doesn't help you create any speed with the arms.

Here's the result of what happens, your arms collapse coming into impact, almost looks like you're hitting a pitch shot. This will orientate the path and face left.

Here's what I'm referring to with the right arm, it stays too straight on the takeaway and this forces you to flex it too much towards the end of the backswing. Everything gets "bunchy" and it makes it hard to get the arms down fast enough. I would recommend you feel like the arm folds more on the takeaway (right pic below) then stops flexing during the rest of the backswing. It will keep flexing but I'm describing the feel. Top of the backswing will feel wider, right arm won't flex past 90 degrees.

@JetFan1983 has posted in you thread and he's had to work on similar issues, maybe he can share his experience.

Mike McLoughlin

Actually I did mean the right arm! So I need a bit of external rotation of the arm...? The crunched up feel and lack of release into the ball is a Bain, I just wish I could get rid of it. Btw is that lack of ER in the right arm why I go over the line a bit?

Actually I did mean the right arm!

So I need a bit of external rotation of the arm...?

The crunched up feel and lack of release into the ball is a Bain, I just wish I could get rid of it.

Btw is that lack of ER in the right arm why I go over the line a bit?

It's not about more or less external rotation, it's just about flexing the arm less or another way to say it would be flexing at the correct rates.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks for the help @mvmac

Important I maintain the quiet lower body doing this....just to remind myself :)

Depends on what you mean by "quiet". The hips should turn about 45 degrees as the left knee gains in flex and the right knee lessens in flex.

Mike McLoughlin

@JetFan1983 has posted in you thread and he's had to work on similar issues, maybe he can share his experience.

Yea, and sadly I'm still working on it. I think I get it for a while, then I stop filming my swing for a month, and when I look at it again, it's back. So annoying.

Anyway, it's tough work. Mirror work is your friend at home. Make it fold and see how it changes things. Nail some sort of feel down and then when you take it to the range, film yourself hitting a couple shots using the feel.

Unfortunately for me, it's difficult to take that feel to the course. But ultimately, getting the trail arm to fold correctly gets you on the right sequencing pattern, and even though it's hard to learn (for me), it's something of a necessity to get to the next level, whenever that ends up being.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Constantine

Put some reps in today despite having a nasty throat infection...

Clearly not better, this was with a pause before transition.

Wondering if I should get one of these to feel the right forearm in that correct position http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Callaway-Connect-Easy-Swing-Training-Aid-Right-Left-Handed-GOLFER-/141505636240?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Golf_Accessories&hash;=item20f264a790

Note: This thread is 1131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!