IGNORED

Training Cage recommendation?

Note: This thread is 2360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 hours ago, Hacker James said:

1. PVC will bend in the heat, the white will also become brittle rather easy. The grey sked 40 conduit fares better.

That's because regular PVC breaks down in ultraviolet light. That's why they make gray stuff for electrical conduit, as it is meant to be used in outdoor applications. It probably still bends though.

If your cage is meant to be a permanent fixture, metal conduit might have been a better option as building material.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I've posted this in a few other threads, but I just got one of these and will be reviewing it here shortly: http://www.crocboxes.com.

That looks pretty cool.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I've posted this in a few other threads, but I just got one of these and will be reviewing it here shortly: http://www.crocboxes.com.

That looks impressive.   But the $499 would scare me away.   I have a Rukket Haack net that I really like.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

5 hours ago, dennyjones said:

That looks impressive.   But the $499 would scare me away.   I have a Rukket Haack net that I really like.  

about the same price as the Net Return.  I did not take a really close look, but it looks as if you dig out a trough to place it in. That would be okay, you could always lay in a strip of artificial turf to cover it. It does look very convenient.  

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

8 hours ago, Hacker James said:

about the same price as the Net Return.  I did not take a really close look, but it looks as if you dig out a trough to place it in. That would be okay, you could always lay in a strip of artificial turf to cover it. It does look very convenient.  

Took a closer look. I like the concept and am looking forward to the review of it. My concerns would be how well the metal rods hold up, prone to rust, e.t.c. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

On 7/7/2017 at 5:38 PM, iacas said:

THAT looks like a fantastic idea.  I have a spot in the yard where my shed was before a falling pine tree cut it in half.  I reseeded the area but have been looking for some kind of net.  With the New England weather I don't want to leave it up...it'll take a beating.  Dragging something in and out of the house is inconvenient.  This looks like it can just stay covered in the ground with the guy mowing over it.  Got the same tractor myself.

I'll be very interested on how it works for u.  My only concern with nets like that are hitting driver with ball speeds over 165 mph.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

THAT looks like a fantastic idea.  I have a spot in the yard where my shed was before a falling pine tree cut it in half.  I reseeded the area but have been looking for some kind of net.  With the New England weather I don't want to leave it up...it'll take a beating.  Dragging something in and out of the house is inconvenient.  This looks like it can just stay covered in the ground with the guy mowing over it.  Got the same tractor myself.

The guy in charge says he's had a pre-production one in the ground near Philly for a few years now and it's doing just fine. We get some weather during the winter here, as you may know.

15 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

I'll be very interested on how it works for u.  My only concern with nets like that are hitting driver with ball speeds over 165 mph.

It can handle baseballs, pucks, soccer balls, etc. I'll test it with a driver but it will probably be fine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 7/7/2017 at 1:15 PM, Hacker James said:

1. PVC will bend in the heat, the white will also become brittle rather easy. The grey sked 40 conduit fares better.

This is true with mine, I used the gray electrical conduit and it still bends in the heat and leans. I'm thinking of getting the metal conduit and use that as framing instead.

You can get the joints here.

http://www.memphisnet.net/category/golf-cages-build-conduit

Edited by Slowcelica

4 hours ago, Slowcelica said:

This is true with mine, I used the gray electrical conduit and it still bends in the heat and leans. I'm thinking of getting the metal conduit and use that as framing instead.

Great link!  Thanks.  FYI, a while back I had ordered a conduit frame from Gourak netting. Although the fittings which look like the ones in your link were galvanized, they rusted pretty badly in a short period of time. I would suggest painting them with rustoleum.

"James"

6 hours ago, Slowcelica said:

another thing. After looking at your link, I note they sell a "foot base". I notice it has holes in the flange and wonder if you drove long spikes through them whether a frame would be free standing and sturdy enough, permitting the use of T's and Right Angles if you only wanted a space saving, one dimensional net frame in lieu of cubical cage.  I may try that if my setup suffers another mishap. (weather, heat, pvc breaks).  My guess is that it would be too flimsy however.

"James"

16 hours ago, Hacker James said:

another thing. After looking at your link, I note they sell a "foot base". I notice it has holes in the flange and wonder if you drove long spikes through them whether a frame would be free standing and sturdy enough, permitting the use of T's and Right Angles if you only wanted a space saving, one dimensional net frame in lieu of cubical cage.  I may try that if my setup suffers another mishap. (weather, heat, pvc breaks).  My guess is that it would be too flimsy however.

It probably depends on the size, my old calloway net just used fiberglass tent poles to hold it up and it was pretty sturdy.

1 hour ago, Slowcelica said:

It probably depends on the size, my old calloway net just used fiberglass tent poles to hold it up and it was pretty sturdy.

It was not a calloway, but I used to have a similar, tent style, net with those poles. It was sturdy enough, but the net would not even stop a ball hit with a driver. I was able to poke holes easily should I miss the vinyl "target". My current netting is archery netting and is very heavy and tight weave and makes any frame top heavy so that you have to plan for that when constructing the base.

"James"

On 7/12/2017 at 11:17 PM, iacas said:

The guy in charge says he's had a pre-production one in the ground near Philly for a few years now and it's doing just fine. We get some weather during the winter here, as you may know.

It can handle baseballs, pucks, soccer balls, etc. I'll test it with a driver but it will probably be fine.

Thanks for the reply.  I can't see PVC for me here in the Northeast plus the ability to have it flush with the ground when not in use is key.  I ended up getting some pop ups on the phone today about it and saw a picture if it where it looked suprising large...which is a good thing!  Cool to double as a hockey net as well!

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, StuChu said:

I am in a similar situation. I had a chipping net bought for me a few Christmas's back and was really impressed.

I had a quick browse, saw this https://golfgearhub.com/best-driving-nets/

The Rukket Haak is the brand of my chipping net. Would you buy their driving practice net as mentioned on the site above?

Thanks in advance.

I have that net and love it.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!