IGNORED

The effect of face angle

RussUK
Note: This thread is 2763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A question for the maths buffs and golf instructors. 

I have been fault finding as to why i am pulling my irons left and it seems that there are two issues.

1. My trail hand grip was very strong, works great for my driver but over cooks on the irons.

2. Having paid real attention to my setup i noticed i was lining the toe of the club and the hosel in a line, therefore closeing the face. I have been advised to use the bottom groove to align the face as the leading edge can play tricks on the mind (true or not?)

So, my question is, sat the face is closed to the target by a degree or so and my swing is in to out, how much would this affect the amount the shot went left, how many yards would i miss the target (guesstimate). If i open the face a degree at address and swing as normal would this produce the "proper" draw shape?

Thanks peeps

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, RussUK said:

A question for the maths buffs and golf instructors. 

I have been fault finding as to why i am pulling my irons left and it seems that there are two issues.

1. My trail hand grip was very strong, works great for my driver but over cooks on the irons.

2. Having paid real attention to my setup i noticed i was lining the toe of the club and the hosel in a line, therefore closeing the face. I have been advised to use the bottom groove to align the face as the leading edge can play tricks on the mind (true or not?)

So, my question is, sat the face is closed to the target by a degree or so and my swing is in to out, how much would this affect the amount the shot went left, how many yards would i miss the target (guesstimate). If i open the face a degree at address and swing as normal would this produce the "proper" draw shape?

Thanks peeps

Russ,

The thread below talks about ball flight and the effect of the face with respect to target. For me, I have to have the face open to my target line at address otherwise I will hook it. I line up the bottom of the iron face open. I also have to have a weak grip.

The amount of curve really depends on the face angle relationship to path at impact.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

33 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Russ,

The thread below talks about ball flight and the effect of the face with respect to target. For me, I have to have the face open to my target line at address otherwise I will hook it. I line up the bottom of the iron face open. I also have to have a weak grip.

The amount of curve really depends on the face angle relationship to path at impact.

Thanks for that. Makes total sense (plus Erik used pictures for the ball flights...full of the man flu so the brain aint working!)

My shot pattern with the irons seems similar to yours, maybe not a severe, but kind a straight draw plus a bit more ;-).

In regards to setting the face open, did you initially have any trouble with wanting to resqaure it with your hands?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

4 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Thanks for that. Makes total sense (plus Erik used pictures for the ball flights...full of the man flu so the brain aint working!)

My shot pattern with the irons seems similar to yours, maybe not a severe, but kind a straight draw plus a bit more ;-).

In regards to setting the face open, did you initially have any trouble with wanting to resqaure it with your hands?

Yes. It has a tendency to close with the irons, so I have to be conscious of keeping it open. My normal flight is a slight draw. My miss is a big pull draw, but that is when I come over the top. So I tend to aim at the right side of the green.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 hours ago, RussUK said:

Having paid real attention to my setup i noticed i was lining the toe of the club and the hosel in a line, therefore closeing the face.

Most clubs have offset so yes, lining up the toe and the hosel together will cause the face to be slightly closed (assuming you aim at what you think you're aiming at in the first place @nevets88 :-P).

I have been advised to use the bottom groove to align the face as the leading edge can play tricks on the mind (true or not?)

The leading edge on most modern clubs is slightly rounded so if you are looking for a straight line to aim with, the grooves are definitely the way to go.

Too many variables to account for. Theoretically you change your face to path relationship and generate a different ball flight, but that's assuming you don't start aiming differently on the course because the club is pointing in a different direction than you are used to or something.

My personal preference is to aim the face at address at the line I want to start my ball on, not on the actual target itself.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!