IGNORED

Gabe Golf Swing Trainer - Transition - It Works

Note: This thread is 2453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I came across this swing aid while surfing the web. When I discovered that Charlie Hoffman and Martin Kaymer won after first using it, and other pros added it to their training, I said, "Why not me?"

In a Nutshell:

What is it: the Gabe Golf swing trainer is a 7i with a KBS Shaft loaded with a few bearings that slide down the shaft.

What It Does: Helps with Transition, Full Turn, Shorter Swing

Websitehttp://gabe-golf.myshopify.com

Effectiveness: Works great for me. After 3 weeks of hitting balls with it, I smoothed (slowed down my arms) my backswing and transition, kept the club more in front of my chest as turn was made, resulting in better and more consistent shots in most phases of the game - long game, chips, pitches, bunker shots. Could not believe the difference, especially in the bunker - talk about added confidence. I also saw added distance. I was surprised at the effect of a good transition and its affect on my shots. Played with guys I did not know and two of them mentioned how they wish they were as smooth as me - and that took me by surprise (I was not smooth at all beforehand). 

How it works: 1. Start a swing, hear the bearings drop all the way, finish your swing (for guys who are in too much of a hurry - most normal golfers) 2. For better players, start swing, hear the bearings begin to drop, finish swing. See videos on website. If you don't hear the bearings drop, start over. From using it, the club wants you to take the club up more vertically, and not laid off at the top. It does not fix all aspects of your swing - if you are swinging on a poor plane or have other faults - this is not a cure-all. You still need instruction. Gabe Golf helps with rhythm, tempo (transition), and speed. This swing aid will build your confidence - priceless for this aspect since a large part of golf is confidence.

Cost: Cough, cough ... $150. But the smile it put on my face is priceless. I don't know if it is as simple as a few small bearings down the shaft or something more. The clubhead and shaft are finished in black oxide, which is so far, durable. It is a Roger Maltby head, and it ships from golfworks with a Lamkin Grip.

What Gabe Golf Suggests after you begin using it: Before you hit the course, hit about 15-20 balls on the range to get your tempo-transition working. If no time for balls, you can take practice swings.

Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 11.55.45 AM.png

Edited by Mr. Desmond
  • Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Skeptic's questions/points:

• Who stops long enough at the top of the backswing to hear the ball bearings roll down? It's unnatural and kind of weird.
  • Nick Price wouldn't be able to use this thing, would he?
  • Many people don't pause everything at the top of the swing, and studies show that trying to do it can slow you down. Whether you're talking the stretch-shorten cycle or just the lower body transitioning while the upper body/club are still going back… this doesn't seem to support that.
  • Changing someone's tempo is very, very, very difficult. Almost never happens. I would imagine your tempo will revert over time unless you use this constantly.

Not saying that's my final opinion. People who have taken lessons from me know that I incorporate things like this in my lessons/coaching. Just playing devil's advocate of sorts… that's what Dave and I do all the time.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I gotta call B.S. on this gadget or at least the marketing hype. I don't see this fixing a tour pro's swing. Perhaps it could help a beginner, but I don't think tour pros struggle with a reverse pivot which was their main "fix" stated. My eyes were rolling as soon as he stated that he was shocked there were any left from all the tour players snatching them up. That's usually when the ole BS-O-Meter starts peg. The only pro that I know of that pauses long enough at the top would be Hideki Matsuyama. 

p.s. - I could achieve the same thing by removing my grip and putting 20-30 BBs in my shaft and re-gripping.

- Shane

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

Skeptic's questions/points:

• Who stops long enough at the top of the backswing to hear the ball bearings roll down? It's unnatural and kind of weird.
  • Nick Price wouldn't be able to use this thing, would he?
  • Many people don't pause everything at the top of the swing, and studies show that trying to do it can slow you down. Whether you're talking the stretch-shorten cycle or just the lower body transitioning while the upper body/club are still going back… this doesn't seem to support that.
  • Changing someone's tempo is very, very, very difficult. Almost never happens. I would imagine your tempo will revert over time unless you use this constantly.

Not saying that's my final opinion. People who have taken lessons from me know that I incorporate things like this in my lessons/coaching. Just playing devil's advocate of sorts… that's what Dave and I do all the time.

My instructor had similar skepticism/questions after I handed it to him. I recognize it. I am a guy who never met a swing aid I did not think about buying -- and over 20 years, I have become a bit jaded.

1. On the course or with your normal club, no one stops that long. I would alternate shots, and discovered that my swings with my club were more consistent after using the Gabe Golf (GG) club. Some of my shots with the GG were off - I'd hit fat or thin - timing issues, some shots were as long as my normal 7i. The GG club has a heavier steel shaft than my graphite 80g.

2. My instructor used it, said "You mean I have to wait this long?" He did and made good contact. I told him that he'd see the effect when using his normal irons.

3. Pause - Erik - I feel the same way about the pause. Typically, my instructor wants me to begin the transition as the swing reaches the top. I think, think the advantage to this swing aid is that it forces golfers to begin the downswing with their lower body, not their arms. At least that is what I found. I am naturally arms first or at the same time as the lower body. When I use my arms to start the downswing with this or any other club, you get fat city or other issues. This helps bring in the lower body first.

It will not work for everyone as tempo/rhythm/transition may not be their issue. It works for me.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

There are many trainers out there like this one, Ledbetter has the Swing Setter and there are a bunch of others.  The Gabe device seems to require a long pause after the back swing to get the bearings to the grip, much more than I'd want in my swing  and much longer than Ledbetters trainer.  

Joe Paradiso

(edited)
40 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I gotta call B.S. on this gadget or at least the marketing hype. I don't see this fixing a tour pro's swing. Perhaps it could help a beginner, but I don't think tour pros struggle with a reverse pivot which was their main "fix" stated. My eyes were rolling as soon as he stated that he was shocked there were any left from all the tour players snatching them up. That's usually when the ole BS-O-Meter starts peg. The only pro that I know of that pauses long enough at the top would be Hideki Matsuyama. 

p.s. - I could achieve the same thing by removing my grip and putting 20-30 BBs in my shaft and re-gripping.

Nice post.

You sound like the voice of experience - tried it? Oh, I know. You don't have to ... you just know it.

I do not have a reverse pivot, but do suffer from getting out of sequence. This aid helps your sequencing, which helps other aspects of the swing. I tried staying at the top like Hideki, but one forgets.

PS - sure, try the bb's and save money. Hope it helps you.

19 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

There are many trainers out there like this one, Ledbetter has the Swing Setter and there are a bunch of others.  The Gabe device seems to require a long pause after the back swing to get the bearings to the grip, much more than I'd want in my swing  and much longer than Ledbetters trainer.  

Someone mentioned it's like a SwingSetter but you can actually hit balls with this aid. Use it for 5 shots, then take your normal iron and swing - difference.

I believe it helps sequencing.

Works for me, and I am not sponsored by anyone - I am out $150 but I gained more than $150.

Have fun!

Edited by Mr. Desmond

15 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Nice post.

You sound like the voice of experience - tried it? Oh, I know. You don't have to ... you just know it.

I do not have a reverse pivot, but do suffer from getting out of sequence. This aid helps your sequencing, which helps other aspects of the swing. I tried staying at the top like Hideki, but one forgets.

PS - sure, try the bb's and save money. Hope it helps you.

Someone mentioned it's like a SwingSetter but you can actually hit balls with this aid. Use it for 5 shots, then take your normal iron and swing - difference.

Works for me, and I am not sponsored by anyone - I am out $150 but I gained more than $150.

Have fun!

If it has helped you, great. My experience has been that I have heard pitches for countless "magic devices" over the years that end up in a closet somewhere because they don't really fix anything. This sounds like another one of those devices.

- Shane

8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

If it has helped you, great. My experience has been that I have heard pitches for countless "magic devices" over the years that end up in a closet somewhere because they don't really fix anything. This sounds like another one of those devices.

There are a lot of useless devices out there, but a majority of decent devices get put in a closet not because they aren't effective but because most golfers are always looking for the silver bullet and don't give any device a long enough effort to help.  

I've been working with the Ledbetter Swing Setter and it's helped my swing and timing but as Erik said, you can't just use it a few times and then forget about it.  Old habits are quick to come back and I can tell my swing speeds up when I go too long without working with the Swing Setter.  

The Tour Striker is another device that works but people think once they can hit the ball in the air with it, they don't need to use it anymore.  

Joe Paradiso

8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Not a magic device - I think you must know your priority pieces and your issues. I had advanced on some of my priority pieces and my sequencing was getting in the way of working on those pieces and enjoying the game - was working on resolving a severe in to out path of 5-8 degrees. We finally are resolving that piece - lots of Trackman and video. This aid does not resolve that issue, but it has helped me in smoothing out the backswing and sequencing the downswing. 

Your swing with the GG Club and  your own 7i will be different.

Good luck!

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Nice post.

You can be right about something without having to have tried it. No need to behave as if you're personally offended by his skepticism.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

There are a lot of useless devices out there, but a majority of decent devices get put in a closet not because they aren't effective but because most golfers are always looking for the silver bullet and don't give any device a long enough effort to help.  

I've been working with the Ledbetter Swing Setter and it's helped my swing and timing but as Erik said, you can't just use it a few times and then forget about it.  Old habits are quick to come back and I can tell my swing speeds up when I go too long without working with the Swing Setter.  

The Tour Striker is another device that works but people think once they can hit the ball in the air with it, they don't need to use it anymore.  

I agree, but I don't see using a device unless it is specifically targeting a priority. Perhaps I am instantly turned off by marketing hype. 

- Shane

(edited)
12 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can be right about something without having to have tried it. No need to behave as if you're personally offended by his skepticism.

I apologize. I think it was his tone and the "calling BS." Maybe that did it.

Anyway, your questions had me thinking afterwards - I also thought about Nick Price, and then I thought back to the range - I think this particular device helped me with sequencing - stay up there, lower body starts .... etc. For better players, when using it, they can also start when the bearings begin to fall. It is still long, but when swinging your club, it has a positive effect. And if that is not your issue, don't buy it!  But I was truly happy with the difference it made, and in the practice bunker, I was surprised at the effect. Sequencing. I've taken it to the course, but only after a day or two of time with it. Discovery is always interesting.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

But with your real golf club, you do not wait that long. Believe me - been using it now for 3 weeks - 2 rounds and 8 range sessions. It's about sequencing for me. AND in the video, the second drill is to wait until the bearing just begin to fall.

I'm not saying "Buy it!" I am saying it helped so that I don't start the downswing with my arms - tempo and sequencing and that affects other aspects of the swing.

My long game has improved - if not for the 43 putts and not the more normal 32 or so, would have broken 80 ... I have the yips now. A mental issue.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

But with your real golf club, you do not wait that long. Believe me - been using it now for 3 weeks - 2 rounds and 8 range sessions. It's about sequencing for me. AND in the video, the second drill is to wait until the bearing just begin to fall.

I'm not saying "Buy it!" I am saying it helped so that I don't start the downswing with my arms - tempo and sequencing and that affects other aspects of the swing.

My long game has improved - if not for the 43 putts and not the more normal 32 or so, would have broken 80 ... I have the yips now. A mental issue.

Good luck!

I  tried a home made version of the Speed Stick thing. I had drilled a hole through a couple of balls, mounted to a graphite driver shaft, with the upper ball loose, the lower one fixed in place. It seemed like forever for the ball to reach the grip at the top before traveling back down the shaft with a "Thwack". as I swung...only problem was, there was such centripedal?  force, that the ball hit the lower one so hard that both of them went flying off into the next county!  It did help with timing though. (kinda hard to tell with my one and ONLY swing)

Edited by Hacker James
  • Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

10 hours ago, natureboy said:

Extra loud hawker guy in video does not inspire confidence.

I took a quick look at the beginning video before I purchased the GG, and ignored the "friendly hawker guy."

After looking at the swingsetter ad, and speed stick -- the Gabe Golf Trainer is different. Leds doesn't really pause at the top with the swingsetter, the speed stick is a device for speed. With the GG Trainer, it's not about hearing the bearings snap at impact. You are getting better sequencing of the swing and tempo. Yes, you will have a long pause at the top using it, but with your regular club you will not pause  long - the objection to the long pause with the Trainer does not carry over to your regular club. Your lower body is working at the top, instead of the arms.

If you go back too fast and incorrectly, you will know, if you do not sequence properly, you will know. For example. if you use your arms going back instead of the body, and the club gets stuck, I found the bearings will not go down the shaft. If you get too laid off, the bearings tend not to go down the shaft. If you grab the club and start down with your arms, you will hit dirt or mishit. If you sequence properly with the lower body - you will hit better shots. When you swing with your regular club, you will not pause -- it will look like a pause because your lower body is working and you are not grabbing the club from the top. As a result, the swing is not paused with your regular club, but the proper sequence is utilized.

Good luck.

6 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I took a quick look at the beginning video before I purchased the GG, and ignored the "friendly hawker guy."

After looking at the swingsetter ad, and speed stick -- the Gabe Golf Trainer is different. Leds doesn't really pause at the top with the swingsetter, the speed stick is a device for speed. With the GG Trainer, it's not about hearing the bearings snap at impact. You are getting better sequencing of the swing and tempo. Yes, you will have a long pause at the top using it, but with your regular club you will not pause  long - the objection to the long pause with the Trainer does not carry over to your regular club. Your lower body is working at the top, instead of the arms.

If you go back too fast and incorrectly, you will know, if you do not sequence properly, you will know. For example. if you use your arms going back instead of the body, and the club gets stuck, I found the bearings will not go down the shaft. If you get too laid off, the bearings tend not to go down the shaft. If you grab the club and start down with your arms, you will hit dirt or mishit. If you sequence properly with the lower body - you will hit better shots. When you swing with your regular club, you will not pause -- it will look like a pause because your lower body is working and you are not grabbing the club from the top. As a result, the swing is not paused with your regular club, but the proper sequence is utilized.

Good luck.

Glad it worked well for you. Not saying it can't. I just didn't like the loud guy. I kind of expected him to say 'Powww!!' at some point.

For the beads to move down the shaft correctly, the shaft has to have an angle off horizontal. But a lot of good swings with deep wrist set at the top are near to horizontal (and sometimes clubhead below the handle) before and through transition.

Kevin

6 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Glad it worked well for you. Not saying it can't. I just didn't like the loud guy. I kind of expected him to say 'Powww!!' at some point.

For the beads to move down the shaft correctly, the shaft has to have an angle off horizontal. But a lot of good swings with deep wrist set at the top are near to horizontal (and sometimes clubhead below the handle) before and through transition.

Yes, I don't like these "spokesman." I think Gabe does a good job.

A lot of instruction these days is the club is more vertical (not vertical) than horizontal (see A swing and other instruction), and the shallowing out begins to occur during the transition.

Note: This thread is 2453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!