IGNORED

Apple's MacBook Pro Event (10/27/16)

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Apple credited my credit card for the price difference for the adapter I bought because the price lowered. They did so after they already shipped the adapter. They didn't need to credit me the difference. Major props for Apple on that one. 

I wish they charge my card for the MBP. I want my MBP :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people were noting how light it was. The 13 inch, like Siracusa said, is basically an Air. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Apple credited my credit card for the price difference for the adapter I bought because the price lowered. They did so after they already shipped the adapter. They didn't need to credit me the difference. Major props for Apple on that one. 

I figured they would do that for all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Walmart did that for a few things I bought online as well.. I'm assuming they figure someone could just return the item to the store and buy the cheaper version.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I thought Thunderbolt 3.0 was 40 Gb/s?

IMG_7557.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

I thought Thunderbolt 3.0 was 40 Gb/s?

IMG_7557.jpg

Yeah, but what Mac is in the picture there?

Looks like a MacBook Pro 2015. Those just had Thunderbolt 2. Which is 20 Gb/s.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, but what Mac is in the picture there?

Looks like a MacBook Pro 2015. Those just had Thunderbolt 2. Which is 20 Gb/s.

It's this guy, the new MBP base model.

IMG_7551.jpg

Steve

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

It's this guy, the new MBP base model.

IMG_7551.jpg

Could just be that the software isn't updated enough yet. Apple's site says 40 Gb/s.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Could just be that the software isn't updated enough yet. Apple's site says 40 Gb/s.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. 

What do the MBP touchbar and Mona Lisa have in common? They're both behind plastic.

Steve

• Administrator

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/11/07/zdziarski-mbp-ram

https://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6355

I fired up a bunch of apps and projects (more than I’d ever work on at one time) in every app I could possibly think of on my MacBook Pro. These included apps you’d find professional photographers, designers, software engineers, penetration testers, reverse engineers, and other types running – and I ran them all at once, and switched between them, making “professionally-type-stuff” happen as I go.

Here’s a list of everything I ran at once:

• VMwarei Fusion: Two running virtual machines (Windows 10, macOS Sierra)
  • Adobe Photoshop CC: Four 1+gb 36 MP professional, multi-layer photos
  • Adobe InDesign CC: A 22 page photography-intensive project
  • Xcode: Four production Objective-C projects, all cleaned and rebuilt
  • Microsoft PowerPoint: A slide deck presentation
  • Microsoft Word: A 20+ page document with graphics
  • MachOView: Analyzing a daemon binary
  • Mozilla FireFox: Viewing a website
  • Safari: viewing a different website
  • Preview: Three PDF books
  • Hopper Disassembler: Performing an analysis on a binary
  • WireShark: Performing a live network capture as I do all of this
  • IDA Pro 64-bit: Analyzing a 64-bit intel binary
  • Apple Mail: Viewing four mailboxes
  • Tweetbot: Reading all the flames and trolls in my mentions
  • iBooks: Currently viewing an ebook I paid for
  • Terminal: A few sessions idling
  • iTunes
  • Little Flocker
  • Little Snitch
  • OverSight
  • Finder
  • Activity Monitor
  • Path Finder
  • Console
  • Probably a lot I’ve missed

The result? I ran out of things to do before I ever ran out of RAM. I only ever made it to 14.5GB before the system decided to start paging out, so I didn’t even have the change to burn up all that delicious RAM.

Parallels my experiences for the most part.

MBP TB teardown is out, only the trackpad is easily replaceable. Repairability score: 1/10.

:mad:

Steve

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

MBP TB teardown is out, only the trackpad is easily replaceable. Repairability score: 1/10.

And how often do you break something with few to no movable parts, Steven? :-)

Plus, that's not entirely true (depending on your definition of "easily" I suppose):

Now that our beloved MagSafe connector has been retired, a wayward step on the power cord is much more likely to damage your ports—so, it's heartening to see the USB-C hardware can be replaced separately (although you'll have to remove the logic board to get to it).

You can replace the USB-C ports.

The more easily replaceable something is, the more wasted space and potential issues it can cause.

16 hours ago, iacas said:

And how often do you break something with few to no movable parts, Steven? :-)

Plus, that's not entirely true (depending on your definition of "easily" I suppose):

You can replace the USB-C ports.

The more easily replaceable something is, the more wasted space and potential issues it can cause.

OK, through my little keyhole, it's not repairability, but upgradeability. For most people the laptop is ok, I'm going to wait and think on whether to get this or not. Memory/storage not upgradeable, battery not certain.

I just know if I weren't able to open up my MBP and change the memory, hard drive and battery, I would have had to buy a new MBP way earlier. I understand I'm not a typical MBP user, but I'm not the only one complaining. Folks on ATP, MacBreak Weekly, etc... too. Lots of negativity on the keyboard and no travel. I'm actually ok with that, but keyboards are a very personal thing.

Steve

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I just know if I weren't able to open up my MBP and change the memory, hard drive and battery, I would have had to buy a new MBP way earlier. I understand I'm not a typical MBP user, but I'm not the only one complaining. Folks on ATP, MacBreak Weekly, etc... too. Lots of negativity on the keyboard and no travel. I'm actually ok with that, but keyboards are a very personal thing.

They weren't complaining on ATP about the "upgradeability."

Siracusa wanted the SD card slot. Casey thought the machine was great and didn't understand the whining. Marco… was his usual self.

My 13" has 16 GB of RAM. It does fine, and I use it almost exclusively these days as my cheese grater is finally showing a bit of its age.

I don't care about the keyboard. You adjust to those, and that's something you can "upgrade" if you want for the times you're going to do large amounts of typing… plug in a keyboard you like.

I'm with Casey on this one (I rarely am): the whining is over-done. Macs still last quite a bit longer, and making them less upgradeable is also what makes them smaller and lighter.

I don't think you can upgrade laptops like you can PC's and expect the performance boost. Especially for the cost. 

I don't see the big issue with it. you don't see PC Users complain with the same intensity about backwards compatibility on Intel processors that require you to buy a new motherboard. Which can cause other compatibility issues. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

20 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Well not unexpected given Apple's previous few iterations of MBP.  Now you just have to decide upfront how much storage space you will need 3-7 years down to road.

Although I wish they would have allowed user replaceable batteries, RAM and SSD.  But that ship has sailed since 2012.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion. I hope I'm wrong, let's see how it does in the wild for a bit.

Steve

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I don't think you can upgrade laptops like you can PC's and expect the performance boost. Especially for the cost. 

I don't see the big issue with it. you don't see PC Users complain with the same intensity about backwards compatibility on Intel processors that require you to buy a new motherboard. Which can cause other compatibility issues. 

I agree, I buy computers with an expected 3 year life / usefulness period.  You can sometimes push a little more performance out of a laptop with upgrades but they typically aren't worth the cost.   

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!